PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator Question...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Can you plug the bypass on a fuel pressure regulator? I want to change my regulator to a higher flowing 4 port one but they all have returns on them and I dont run a return.
Spitter

Jetaholic
11-25-2007, 02:21 AM
Can you plug the bypass on a fuel pressure regulator? I want to change my regulator to a higher flowing 4 port one but they all have returns on them and I dont run a return.
Spitter
Yes you can plug 'em...
Oh wait...you're black so...nah you can't plug 'em. That trick only works for us whities. :D :D :D

Longstr
11-25-2007, 07:45 AM
I got my regluator set up so one side goes to the carb and the other goes to the gage... :D

steelcomp
11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Why not get a 4 port dead head regulator? Not sure a bypass can be used as a deadhead.

502 JET
11-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Why not run the return?
Just plumb it back into your fuel water separator's second inlet.
Your fuel pump will thank you.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Why not run the return?
Just plumb it back into your fuel water separator's second inlet.
Your fuel pump will thank you.
Hmmm, thats not a bad idea. Has anyone tried this?

VD CRUISER
11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes I run a return regulator and connect the return line to the extra inlet port on my fuel filter/separator. Also use a Clay Smith mechanical pump and it feeds my blown 548 ci engine.

502 JET
11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, thats not a bad idea. Has anyone tried this?
This is how I run the return from my regulator.
I was also told that Mercruiser high performance engines are plumbed the same way.
I run -6 from the regulator through a fuel cooler then back into the separator inlet. The cooler keeps my Aeromotive pump running cool.
I run equal lengths of -10 to a 1/2" Y-block into the other inlet on of the separator.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2007, 03:35 PM
. Also use a Clay Smith mechanical pump and it feeds my blown 548 ci engine.
Thats all I needed to hear;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I run equal lengths of -10 to a 1/2" Y-block into the other inlet on of the separator.
Thats what I plan on doing :)

Cs19
11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
you can plug the bypasses if you want to

Longstr
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Why not get a 4 port dead head regulator? Not sure a bypass can be used as a deadhead.
So this is my setup, Electric pump, regulator screwed directly into pump outlet side, then off regulator one line goes to carb, the other goes to gage, is this hurting anything? :confused:
I recently had a new motor build 427 60 over roller the gage was reading 15 psi of fuel, caused gas to get into the oil, lost alot of oil pressue because gas thinned it out put it on trailer, changed oil added a regulator, and now got the pressue set at 8 psi at idle, pulls around 7 psi at WOT. Seems to have solved my problem, just want to make sure this is an accurate way to read the fuel PSI. :idea:

Sleeper CP
11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
:
I recently had a new motor build 427 60 over roller the gage was reading 15 psi of fuel, caused gas to get into the oil, lost alot of oil pressue because gas thinned it out put it on trailer, changed oil added a regulator, and now got the pressue set at 8 psi at idle, pulls around 7 psi at WOT. Seems to have solved my problem, just want to make sure this is an accurate way to read the fuel PSI. :idea:
No doubt you had a problem. The needle and seat are only good for 9psi.
The way you are doing it now is fine. Bypass regulators are best for fuel pump life although I don't run one.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Longstr
11-26-2007, 06:13 AM
No doubt you had a problem. The needle and seat are only good for 9psi.
The way you are doing it now is fine. Bypass regulators are best for fuel pump life although I don't run one.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
GREAT... thanks for the reply... :D

Wazoo
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Aeromotive and Barry Grant both have dead head 4 port regulators. They both run between $200-$250. Your budget my dictate what route you decide to go. I run the Aeromotive 4 port pro stock regulator with a Magnafuel 500 pump. The pump has the return line on it. I recommend a return line of some sort. It keeps the fuel pump cool and eliminates cavitation. It also keeps the fuel pressure steady.