PDA

View Full Version : ??? Fume Arrestor/ mufflers ???

h2oboy
03-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Running a olds 455....
Does anyone know if you MUST have a fume arrestor on the carb to be legal?? Right now I am running just an automotive filter ontop... I have an open engine compartment with over the transom headers and did not know if that made a difference to the regulations... Mostly running in AZ/CA/NM.. any help would be great before I get to the lake and have to go home early...
Also any news on mufflers this year... I know it was big talk last year (was not running last year) and have not heard if it is going to be the same this year or worse.... Again just want to make sure I am prepared before I hit the lakes next week...

sleekcrafter
03-05-2006, 04:56 AM
On an enclosed engine, yes, you need a flame arrester. an open engine compartment, you don't need one, but you need a rearward facing scoop if you dont run a flame arrester. I dont think an automotive airfilter will cut it, with the DNR or CG.
Sleek

Duane HTP
03-05-2006, 06:46 AM
USCG regulations state it must be a flame arrestor reguardless of covered engine or not. However, a lot of areas let you run the automotive type on open engines. Flame arrester is the Law, just not enforced strictly in some areas.

Boatcop
03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
The flame arrestor must be a Marine Type and be of metal construction. One is REQUIRED in a closed engine compartment. If the engine is open, you MAY run a metal scoop or "flower pot"/velocity stack, as long as any backfire from the carb is directed away from the boat's occupants.
In the case of a scoop, if it doesn't have an approved arrestor installed, it must face backwards away from the boat's passengers.
An automotive type air cleaner is illegal and will get you cited and thrown off the lake.