PDA

View Full Version : Class A non commercial license

vee-driven
11-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I was told they are targeting people towing over 10,000 lbs such as tow behind triple axl toy haulers and 15,000 lbs 5th wheels for being over weight, Does anyone know about this? I am thinking of getting a class A non commercial license because i am in the market for a 3 axl toyhauler and don't need the ticket or the hassel from the cops. Anyone taken the test and whats involved?

me4drvr
11-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Just got mine (permit) about 2 weeks ago, since the GVWR on my 5th wheel is 18,500.. the permit is good for one year and you can just keep renewing that until you do the actual drive test... which doesn't seem too hard either.
It's just one less technicality to deal with if you get pulled over. The test is basic (studied for 20min before the test) and if you havn't taken a drivers test in a year, they make you take half that test too.
Best of Luck!!
btw.. if you have the means and plan on traveling a lot, opt for the 5th wheel setup!!

77charger
11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
On the way to glamis tuesday mornin i saw 2 chp truck enforcement trucks,as well as one plain white commercial chp.on the 86 between indio and westmorland.

vee-driven
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Just got mine (permit) about 2 weeks ago, since the GVWR on my 5th wheel is 18,500.. the permit is good for one year and you can just keep renewing that until you do the actual drive test... which doesn't seem too hard either.
It's just one less technicality to deal with if you get pulled over. The test is basic (studied for 20min before the test) and if you havn't taken a drivers test in a year, they make you take half that test too.
Best of Luck!!
btw.. if you have the means and plan on traveling a lot, opt for the 5th wheel setup!!
I already have my M1 and i guess i will be taken all 3 at the same time. lol I only go to glamis and the river 1 maybe twice a month and am lookin for a 28-32 foot tow behind, i know the 5th wheels tow great, but not everyone has a 5th wheel hitch in the bed incase something happens and i could put bikes and maybe a rhino in the back of my long bed if i run out of room in the trailer.

vee-driven
11-25-2007, 09:05 PM
On the way to glamis tuesday mornin i saw 2 chp truck enforcement trucks,as well as one plain white commercial chp.on the 86 between indio and westmorland.
I was talking to a buddy in glamis over the weekend and he said they were stoppin people and givin them the big phuck you like a DUI check point. Supposidely it's been a law on the books for awhile and now they are just starting to inforce it, and i was told weekend warrior has a class action lawsuit against them for under weighting their trailers, such as rating it at 7500 lbs and it really weighs 9000 lbs so after you load it up with water gas food and such its over weight even befor adding the toys, bikes, quads, rhino or rail.

LUVNLIFE
11-26-2007, 04:37 AM
In the RV tech section on Glamisdunes.com is all the info you need for your non commercial A. Lot's of info over there;)

ChumpChange
11-26-2007, 08:57 AM
The test is basic (studied for 20min before the test) and if you havn't taken a drivers test in a year, they make you take half that test too.
Best of Luck!!
What did you study? I have the test coming in a couple weeks.

Brewzed
11-26-2007, 09:41 AM
What did you study? I have the test coming in a couple weeks.
You can download a little booklet from the DMV website or pick one up at the DMV. It's a simple test.