PDA

View Full Version : Correct structure of a question?

~FM
11-26-2007, 10:36 AM
So I was writing and I got stuck on correct wording of a question ...
examples:
You're supposed to start work at 2, isn't it?
You're supposed to start work at 2, aren't you?
So which one is correct or are both acceptable? :confused:
It was a difficult thing to Google so I decided to ***boat it instead! :D
TIA for any enlightenment. :D

maxwedge
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
#2 is correct.

~FM
11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
#2 is correct.
Why?

AZJD
11-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Both are correct.

maxwedge
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Because I said so.:D

hoolign
11-26-2007, 10:57 AM
So I was writing and I got stuck on correct wording of a question ...
examples:
You're supposed to start work at 2, isn't it?
You're supposed to start work at 2, aren't you?
So which one is correct or are both acceptable? :confused:
It was a difficult thing to Google so I decided to ***boat it instead! :D
TIA for any enlightenment. :D
You're supposed to start work at 2, isn't it? - directs the "isn't it" at the time not the phrase about "You're supposed to start work at 2".."isn't it " does not fit here at all.
I would use " Aren't you supposed to start work at 2?
You're supposed to show me your tits , aren't you? LOL
My .02

~FM
11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Hmm "You're" goes with "aren't you?"
so then "isn't it" would have to start out differently; maybe ..
"It's at 2 that you're supposed to start work, isn't it?"
Agreement between the ??? ... words (I know there's a specific name for the parts that need to be in agreement but it escapes me just now. :o )
I think I just confused myself even more. :squiggle:

~FM
11-26-2007, 11:00 AM
You're supposed to start work at 2, isn't it? - directs the "isn't it" at the time not the phrase about "You're supposed to start work at 2".."isn't it " does not fit here at all.
I would use " Aren't you supposed to start work at 2?
You're never going to show me your tits , are you?
I think that makes sense. And no I'm really not ever going to! :D

Mr. C
11-26-2007, 11:01 AM
shouldn't it read
weren't you supposed to start work at 2:00? Well you're late. AGAIN.:D

maxwedge
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
You're supposed to show me your tits , aren't you? LOLMy .02
You're absolutely correct hooli. "You're supposed to show me your tits, isn't it." Just dosn't work at all.

~FM
11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
shouldn't it read
weren't you supposed to start work at 2:00? Well you're late. AGAIN.:D
Depends what time zone! :D

~FM
11-26-2007, 11:04 AM
P.S. Thanks for the help, guys. :) GTG.

hoolign
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Depends what time zone! :D
Ok what did boy named sue do now?? :D

boatseller2
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I think that makes sense. And no I'm really not ever going to! :D
Isn't it "I think that makes sense. And no I'm really not ever going to!" Ay!

Moneypitt
11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Correct??
"Hey, bout when is ya'll gonna be wander'n over to the job?"

uvindex
11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Hmm "You're" goes with "aren't you?"
so then "isn't it" would have to start out differently; maybe ..
"It's at 2 that you're supposed to start work, isn't it?"
Agreement between the ??? ... words (I know there's a specific name for the parts that need to be in agreement but it escapes me just now. :o )
I think I just confused myself even more. :squiggle:I think you're thinking of pronoun/antecedent agreement above (in other words, a pronoun needs to agree with what came before ("ante") it.
Correct: Joe fell on his ass.
Wrong: Joe fell on their ass. (pronoun and antecedent don't agree).
This rule isn't really what explains why only #2 is correct in your original question, however. The "You're supposed to start work at 2, aren't you" is acting like two sentences, where the second restates what the first states. The subject of the first is YOU so the subject of the second should also be YOU. It might help if you add the implied words: "You're supposed to start work at 2; are you not supposed to start work at 2?"
The nearest grammar rule I can think of is reflexive case -- the second thought "reflects" back to the first thereby mirroring it. This is not happening in the "You're supposed to start at 2, isn't it?" example (and it is wrong).
Hope this helps some. :)

hoolign
11-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Correct??
"Hey, bout when is ya'll gonna be wander'n over to the job?"
Perfect!
:D

maxwedge
11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
It's really very simple for most first graders to figure out. There are nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, subects and predicates and verb tense that all come into play here. Don't ask me how the shit works though, cause it was like 30years ago when I was in first grade.:D

thatguy
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I think it should be : "If you can't remember when to come to work, you're an idiot, aren't you? That's a fair analysis, isn't it?"
Hope this helps, Tommy

Boatcop
11-26-2007, 11:33 AM
You're focking fired.
:D

ULTRA26 # 1
11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Number 2 is correct, IMO
Or even better,
Aren't you supposed to start work at 2.

thatguy
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Bottom line, if you're starting at 2:00 you are working swings. Which means you are one step above a worm and barely have a job.:)
Go back to school.:eek: :eek:
Tommy

hoolign
11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Bottom line, if you're starting at 2:00 you are working swings. Which means you are one step above a worm and barely have a job.:)
Go back to school.:eek: :eek:
Tommy
Best fućkin answer yet LMAO!!:D :D

thatguy
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Best fućkin answer yet LMAO!!:D :D
I do what I can!
BTW, We are focked here. Got a 500'coal seam @ 7500'. EM tool can't transmit to surface. Can get sporadic surveys, but no tool faces for sliding. Night hand left me 8* behind dropping from 42*. If we rotate through, We will miss target.
Pulse tool won't be here until tomorrow and we just got out of the hole. Shales are closing as we speak. I am truly FOCKED.:eek: :( :eek:
Tommy

hoolign
11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I do what I can!
BTW, We are focked here. Got a 500'coal seam @ 7500'. EM tool can't transmit to surface. Can get sporadic surveys, but no tool faces for sliding. Night hand left me 8* behind dropping from 42*. If we rotate through, We will miss target.
Pulse tool won't be here until tomorrow and we just got out of the hole. Shales are closing as we speak. I am truly FOCKED.:eek: :( :eek:
Tommy
He was sleeping apparently!! Cant just dummy run to the toe and ream for the night ?? It'd keep your seams open anyways

thatguy
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, we still might just run in and ream overnight. The night hand was surfing the web all night looking at dating sites. Got it from 2-3 different people. Ran him off yesterday. Freakin' worms. Damn, He sure put the screws to us.
Tommy

hoolign
11-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, we still might just run in and ream overnight. The night hand was surfing the web all night looking at dating sites. Got it from 2-3 different people. Ran him off yesterday. Freakin' worms. Damn, He sure put the screws to us.
Tommy
A minor setback in the big scope of things. Nuthin a handfull of money and some Roughneck sweat won't fix LOL...

SB
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Subject and verb must agree in tense and number.:)

~FM
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
I think you're thinking of pronoun/antecedent agreement above (in other words, a pronoun needs to agree with what came before ("ante") it.
Correct: Joe fell on his ass.
Wrong: Joe fell on their ass. (pronoun and antecedent don't agree).
This rule isn't really what explains why only #2 is correct in your original question, however. The "You're supposed to start work at 2, aren't you" is acting like two sentences, where the second restates what the first states. The subject of the first is YOU so the subject of the second should also be YOU. It might help if you add the implied words: "You're supposed to start work at 2; are you not supposed to start work at 2?"
The nearest grammar rule I can think of is reflexive case -- the second thought "reflects" back to the first thereby mirroring it. This is not happening in the "You're supposed to start at 2, isn't it?" example (and it is wrong).
Hope this helps some. :)
Yes it does. Thank-you. :cool:
Boy Named Sue hasn't done anything wrong to my knowledge and I've been LMAO at all the other suggested correct sentences :D . As for 1st grade knowledge of parts of a sentence - I don't remember the rules for any of that stuff for the same reason, max! :cry: :D
Didn't mean to interrupt the drill talk - please carry on. :D

~FM
11-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Subject and verb must agree in tense and number.:)
Thank-you! *I'm sure that was already filed away somewhere in my gray matter. That file must have been corrupted or something. :idea: ;)