PDA

View Full Version : Another issue in Havasu...

BigDoug
03-05-2006, 08:52 AM
Another issue in Havasu...
Im told from my pool service guy that a snowbird got upset after washing his car and driving home, it got all dirty again from pool drainage running down the street, so he complained to the city. For those of you who have a pool will be affected as well as me "mobile detailers" "marine shops" "mechanic shops" etc. Anybody that uses water and it runs down the street can be fined for the first offense $150, second $300 third is criminal offence and a fine not to exceed $4533.00 and a jail sentance of up to 180 days.
The city propsed a solution for the pool guys out here: Work only mon-thur and between the hours of 10pm-5am (not a misprint) and if you drain any other time the above as mentioned will be enforced.
It's ok if the city can open a fire hydrant as they do on a routine basis for hours at a time, god forbid a snowbird drives through it again. I as a mobile detailer hate to go through water myself, i will turn around and use another alternate route, the roads being torn up by the city is bad enough too.
The pool drainage has been going on for many many years and now someone complains, im sure most of the city people have pools themselves.
There is a number you can call to voice your opinion since alot of you live in Cali, 928-453-4140
Rest assured this will affect your favorite marine mechanic, moble detailer and you, if you have a pool that needs to be drained every year or every other.
What is your opinion on this ?

Warlockjer
03-05-2006, 09:02 AM
It's not just the Snow birds that get upset. I see nothing wrong with draining the pools at night. It is a daily occurance and I for one like to keep my STUFF clean. Just one mans opinion :)

mikec500s
03-05-2006, 09:09 AM
wah wah wah wah wah

lalhc
03-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Us Cali people are used to all the sprinkler run-off we always run through - which pisses me off. My home in Havasu does have a pool and it brings up another question for me. My street does not have curbs and if I drain my pool it could flow in some of my neighbors yards. I guess I'll have to see what happens when I have to drain it.

BigDoug
03-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Warlockjer, i agree with you 100% since i have to clean my truck and detail trailer after going through water, it's hard enough doing others peoples stuff and then come home to clean mine too !!
It's just been an issue for many years and we have to deal with !!

Hallett
03-05-2006, 09:35 AM
How about when the city water service to the meter starts
leaking becouse they didn't back fill with sand. they are leaking
all over the town, i think they should get nailed for that to seems
to be a big problem. :argue:

cc322
03-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Hate to say it but I bet there are a few more reasons behind it. Az laws will follow alot of cali laws pertaining to water quality and the lake. Out here in Cali we cannot bleed a fire hydrant any more like we use to, we must capture it before it runs into the ocean, along the same lines as Havasu no wanting the water to run and collect urban run off and get carried away into the lake as to pollute it. When we do bleed a hydrant we must use chlorine tabs in the gutter before it goes into the storm drain, imagine that domestic drinking water must be chlorinated before it hits the ocean? And yes mobil detailers must collect all there run off as well, not enforced in the city of irvine. I am not sure but does the runoff flow into the lake? I have seen very few storm drains out there. I would assume this is a lake water quality issue.

ROZ
03-05-2006, 09:41 AM
In cali. I thought carwash runnoff was already "illegal" , but just not enforced...
My driveway is flat and water runs into my yard. My parents driveway is sloped, so we wash our cars on the grass..
Are these homes septic or sewer? The city could make it manditory for new construction pools on sewer put a backwash drain into it.. All my commercial pools go into the sewer...

cc322
03-05-2006, 10:00 AM
In cali. I thought carwash runnoff was already "illegal" , but just not enforced...
My driveway is flat and water runs into my yard. My parents driveway is sloped, so we wash our cars on the grass..
Are these homes septic or sewer? The city could make it manditory for new construction pools on sewer put a backwash drain into it.. All my commercial pools go into the sewer...
Most citys it is illegal to wash cars and not capture the runoff BUT it is rarely enfored at least in our city. If they enforce it they would have to enforce the restaurants washing all the stuff they wash out side we see it all the time. But the laws are getting stricter,there is allready a program called FOG fats oil and grease and it is geared toward restarunts cleaning there grease traps. We respond to alot of spills frome private grease traps and the results are usually infrequent cleaning of the traps, this leads to the ocean and causes closures. Water quality and the envirment are a very big topic right now as Cali makes laws other states seem to follw at least in enviorment laws.

Seadog
03-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Federal law prohibits allowing treated water into any watershed. Even flushing hydrants, which is a necessary maintenance task, can be prohibited. It is one of those areas that can be wrong and right at teh same time. Some utilities have gone to system that remove the chlorine from the water during flushing. Very expensive.
If someone complains, any city or state agency would have no recourse but to respond. Even watering the grass can legally be considered unlawful discharge of treated water. Most regulators will not waste their times on this, but once a formal complaint is registered, it gets tied up in the process.
The best way to destroy any business is to enforce the regulations. We must follow the spirit of the regulations, but when the lawyers go beyond that, it is impossible to comply. It is like the regulations concernign handicap access. It is one thing to make sure that reasonable efforts exist to allow handicap access, but when a 1/4" height variation is used to sue a restaurant, it is ridiculous.

BadKachina
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
My pool guy drained my pool into my clean-out. He said that I wasn't allowed to pump it into the street. I would assume there is already a rule in place here?

MagicMtnDan
03-05-2006, 10:52 AM
wah wah wah wah wah
What are you kidding?! This is your first post!

cc322
03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
My pool guy drained my pool into my clean-out. He said that I wasn't allowed to pump it into the street. I would assume there is already a rule in place here?
Are you are on a gravity sewer system?

OutCole'd
03-05-2006, 11:25 AM
That's what we do here in Vegas.

Warlockjer
03-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey MM Dan, I thought the same thing. Good first impression :cool:

BadKachina
03-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Are you are on a gravity sewer system?
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how the sewer works.

Debbolas
03-05-2006, 01:04 PM
My neighbor had his pool "re-done" and they washed the plaster stuff into the street right in front our my house and my neighbors. We didn't care THAT much but my other neighbor is retired and cared very much and actually called the city............get this.........the city said he would have to call the police before they would respond!?!?! :rolleyes:

03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Washing a car and run it down the gutter, or rain and it runs down the gutter with all the oil and sand and crap what would u rather have run too the ocean

Mandelon
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
In San diego you can get in big trouble for draining pools, or commercial runoff, like powerwashing a parking lot or sidewalk and letting it run out.
Detailers and concrete finishers who have runoff possiblity need to carry a wet vac and a 55g drum. You can make a big kids pool out of poly and some framing, the evaporates off and the trash and sediment go to the landfill, or even treated as toxic waste!!
Drain your pool into your noisy neighbors septic. That'll fix em! :crossx:

HocusPocus
03-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Im told from my pool service guy that a snowbird got upset after washing his car and driving home, it got all dirty again from pool drainage running down the street, so he complained to the city.
seems kinda far fetched to me.. there is always more to every story.

GHT
03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
The streets in Havi are constructed to permit proper drainage. There isn't a Storm Water drainage system and there won't be until the population hit around 150k - 200k. So, what I'm sayin' is DON"T FUCHIN' DRIVE IN THE FLOW LINE OF THE ROAD, YOU DUMB F*UCK!!!. I have (on many occasions) moved over 4' to the left and guess what.... My car stays dry.. WTF???
F#CK THE BLUE HAIRS......

Red Horse
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
No matter where you go or what you do there are going to be people that complain and those that adapt.

Warlockjer
03-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey GHT, Why don't you tell us how you really feel :) :)

GHT
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey GHT, Why don't you tell us how you really feel :) :)
OK, now that you mention it...... I got a problem with... Well.. Never mind you wouldn't want to hear it..
OH YEA!!!
F Everybody!!! Yea What you got now dawg!!!

Ziggy
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
The streets in Havi are constructed to permit proper drainage. There isn't a Storm Water drainage system and there won't be until the population hit around 150k - 200k. So, what I'm sayin' is DON"T FUCHIN' DRIVE IN THE FLOW LINE OF THE ROAD, YOU DUMB F*UCK!!!. I have (on many occasions) moved over 4' to the left and guess what.... My car stays dry.. WTF???
F#CK THE BLUE HAIRS......
Logic escapes most people GHT........or they're afraid to drive over the yellow line... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm with ya....I don't get it. Some folks have nothing else to do so in order to feel worthy they find something to whine about, and usually it ends up affecting a ton of people adversely....... :yuk: :rolleyes: :yuk:
Unless the city builds roads that aren't part of actual 'washes' where water is designed to flow they should blow this off.
Yeah, I've gotten my boat filthy on the way to the ramp due to water on the road but I'm not going to bitch about it to the city.

MAINEVENT
03-06-2006, 04:53 PM
It is and has been illegal to drain pools wash cars and or even over irrigate and have run off h20 onto a public streets... it depends on the city on who your inspectors are and also who the guy complaining is, someone with conatcts can really stir some shiat up... i personally thinks it hilarious when its pouring rain and i see sprinklers going at the same time...
I think some people have way too much time on their hands and need to relax a bit.. just my .02
And MikeC500's... Your a dick... lol

SOCALDETAIL1
03-06-2006, 05:01 PM
This has always been an issue, We no longer steam clean engines, The fines are way steeper in LA. And in the harbor everything has to be bio-degradable.

SummitKarl
03-06-2006, 05:19 PM
This is definetly a sore subject with me :mad:
it never fails I wax up the hot rod and head out for a car show.......BAM!!!
water running down the street :mad: :mad:
about a month a go I could not get down town, all 5 streets I could use were running with pool water....
I know most are still on septic and can't use there head enough to drain on their property :hammerhea as I do when I drain my spa....holly frick how hard is it to move the hose 10ft ever hour or so :rolleyes: lazy ass SOB'S :mad:

jscarab
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
hey summit, will your property hold about 15,000 gals of water????

SummitKarl
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
hey summit, will your property hold about 15,000 gals of water????
yup!!!! 1/4 acre in the front yard, 1/4 acre in the back yard.
a 35'x 2' leach line will percolate 1800 gals every 8hrs,most of Havasu is a "perc 3" Very absorbent, like I said move the hose 10ft..
The other thing that doesn't get done here AZ, for some reason is a "drain pit"
we had to do this in California when we were on septic, a 10' x 10' x 10' hole filled with A/B to drain our pool...don't know why that's not required here.

jscarab
03-07-2006, 06:02 AM
Sounds like you should go to a council meeting and help explain why pool water is being put down the streets........