PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank

HPBoats83
11-27-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm looking at buying a 07-08 Silverado and would like to have a bigger gas tank in it (100 gallons or close). Does anybody know the best way to do this, even if it's not 100 gallons I just don't want to go to the gas station every day, but the more the better. I would prefeer one to go in between the fuel rails and not in the bed. Has anybody done this before, or seen somebody do it? Is the best thing just to call fuel safe and have them build a custom one?
Thanks,
James

sigepmock
11-27-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm looking at buying a 07-08 Silverado and would like to have a bigger gas tank in it (100 gallons or close). Does anybody know the best way to do this, even if it's not 100 gallons I just don't want to go to the gas station every day, but the more the better. I would prefeer one to go in between the fuel rails and not in the bed. Has anybody done this before, or seen somebody do it? Is the best thing just to call fuel safe and have them build a custom one?
Thanks,
James
Gas or Diesel? If it's diesel then there are a few manufacturer's that make replacement tanks and in-bed add on tanks. Transfer Flow is a reputable maker, I have their 45 gallon replacement tank in my truck and it's great.
If the truck is gas....and in CA ....welll you're going to have a tough time. I did a bunch of research two years ago trying to do the same thing. Here's what I learned. The On Board Diagnostics system that is part of the SMOG controls has a test it runs to make sure the gas cap and vapor collection system is working properly. If you add an AUX tank or replace the stock tank...there is a very good chance you will throw a Service Engine Soon light on the dash and it will record it in the computer and it will not pass SMOG. You also will not be able to get the vehicle to pass the visual SMOG inspection either. The Dealer may also give you a hard time because of the legal ramifications of an "altered" SMOG system.
Not being one afraid to "bend" the rules a little and modify my vehicles....I finally just gave up on the larger gas tank and switched to a diesel truck which tows better and is not affected by the same laws...at least that was the deal before CA changed the SMOG laws to include the newer diesels from 07 or 08 on.
Hope that helps,
Chris

HPBoats83
11-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info Chris. At this point I am strongly leaning towards a gas truck and yes I am in CA. I wonder if they would just be able to add an additional tank on the passanger side of the vehicle so then I would have 52 gallons. The only other option is to buy a long bed which holds more fuel (I believe) but don't want a long bed for a daily driver.
James

voodoomedman
11-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Obviously Mock has already done extensive research but....
Wouldn't there be a way to swap out with a Suburban tank and float unit and such. They are the same length as an extended cab short bed but have a larger tank. Being that the chassis is the same you would think you could swap somehow.

gottaminute?
11-27-2007, 08:26 AM
951 737-8094 jacob
i know they do deisel, never asked abot gas
good luck

uLtRADeNniS
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
The long bed is a 36 gallon tank... short bed is a 24
IMCO makes custom tanks.

Double A
11-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Take a look at www.transferflow.com, they might have what you want.

hkunz
11-27-2007, 10:40 AM
One of the reasons they don't put in a larger tank is fuel mileage. More gas, at 7 pounds or so per gallon, means more weight, and with that extra load comes poorer gas mileage. My MINI has a tiny tank that reduces its range, but gets better mileage overall. Just something to think about when you go to a larger tank.

lalhc
11-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Call Brian Cabaday @ KSH Marine in Havasu. His # is 928-680-6610.

ZBODaytona
11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Obviously Mock has already done extensive research but....
Wouldn't there be a way to swap out with a Suburban tank and float unit and such. They are the same length as an extended cab short bed but have a larger tank. Being that the chassis is the same you would think you could swap somehow.
I don't know about the newer subs..but the old ones the tank was where the spare would be....40 gal...we were going to add one to my buddies older z71..never did though..

RitcheyRch
11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
They installed a bigger gas tank in a truck for me many many years ago.
951 737-8094 jacob
good luck

sigepmock
11-27-2007, 01:22 PM
951 737-8094 jacob
good luck
Talked with them about it....no deal...and they were kinda dicks about. That's why I went to Transfer Flow for the Diesel tank.
The other option would be to find/talk with one of the companies that re-tunes stock ECM's for guys with custom motor mods. When I talked with a few none of them really wanted to mess with the OBDII and III systems because of the liability....now that there are more "Tuners" out there you may be able to find someone that will do it.
Check out
FullSizeChevy.com forum maybe things have changed since I looked into it.
Good luck,
Chris

Sun burners
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Transferflow now has a DIRECT replacement upgrade.
Plus the 50 gal in bed tool box!

caroftheweek
11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Check out Titan fuel tanks www.supertanks.com
They have a 52 gallon replacement tank for the new body chevy short bed. Alot of the guys on dieselplace.com are running this tank and love it.
Ryan

sigepmock
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Just checked the websites and didn't see anything for a GAS engine...they all make the diesel tanks but no GASOLINE replacement tanks for OBD-II or newer cars which is what CA trucks are. Am I missing something?
Chris

HPBoats83
11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
No Chris you got it. Nobody makes a tank for gas for what I am looking for. I guess I am going to have to deal with it or buy a diesel for my next truck.
Thanks,
James