PDA

View Full Version : Kawaii or Yamaha Pianos? Any takes?

Trailer Park Casanova
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm getting the wife a piano for Christmas.
She's a tallented player and singer.
Both the Yamaha and Kawaii websites are very convincing on their lines.
Any takes on either one?
Looking to get her a full keyboard electric.

DeltaSigBoater
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I dont play Piano, but I've always been very impressed with Yamaha Insturments (Brass & Precussion).
Just my $.02

SJP
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Bought the 5ft baby grand for my wife - french legs, cherrywood finish - it is a beautiful piece. She has here masters in piano and voice so here is her take and why I bought the kawaii over the yamaha.
- the yamaha is institutional - found in churches / universities - mass produced. Very consistent - everyone sounds the same - ok quality. Kind of like a baseline fountain boat boat.
- the kawaii - better sound, better materials, workmanship and not so mainstream. Like a nice custom boat service regular and not every guy is qualified to service.
I do not play the piano - I only paid the bill and make sure nobody touches the thing at our house. My wife still thanks me everyday she plays it.

spectras only
11-27-2007, 03:34 PM
If I was a good classical or jazz pianist I'd have a Bösendorfer !
Steinway would be next , Yamaha is all around one of the best in its price
range . Elton John plays Yami I think .

snake321
11-27-2007, 05:56 PM
I have a 1924 McPhail baby grand. 2 nights ago I had the whole keyboard with the hammers out and on the floor. I treat it like a boat, I gotta know what's going on in there.....

Trailer Park Casanova
11-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I dont play Piano, but I've always been very impressed with Yamaha Insturments (Brass & Precussion).
Just my $.02
Appreciate the take.
Bought the 5ft baby grand for my wife - french legs, cherrywood finish - it is a beautiful piece. She has here masters in piano and voice so here is her take and why I bought the kawaii over the yamaha.
- the yamaha is institutional - found in churches / universities - mass produced. Very consistent - everyone sounds the same - ok quality. Kind of like a baseline fountain boat boat.
- the kawaii - better sound, better materials, workmanship and not so mainstream. Like a nice custom boat service regular and not every guy is qualified to service.
I do not play the piano - I only paid the bill and make sure nobody touches the thing at our house. My wife still thanks me everyday she plays it.
Thanks,, I was leaning that way.
Ask her what she wants to do with it.
Play, sing and teach the kids.
I politely disagree about the Yammie/Kawaii comparison. We have a Steinway D and B, Kawaii KG6, ans a couple of GS 70s, two Yamaha C-3s and a C-7. The jazz folks like the Yamaha better for bright sound and ease of play (and recording), but the pianists prefer the Steinways.
For an electric find out if she wants bells and whistles or if she wants a good piano sound. Maybe Kurzweil for sound, everyone has a bunch of keyboards with toys on them.
Thanks for the take.
If I was a good classical or jazz pianist I'd have a Bösendorfer !
Steinway would be next , Yamaha is all around one of the best in its price
range . Elton John plays Yami I think .
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/Pianos/Product/red_piano_spot.gif
He usually plays this red one.