PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Gauges

GAWnCA
11-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Where's the best place to buy a water and fuel pressure gauges and not going to the dash, where's the best place to mount them in the engine area? What's the maximum pressure settings for both? Ford 460 Motor.

GAWnCA
11-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Did this question stump the pros?

Sleeper CP
11-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Did this question stump the pros?
No where near a pro, but check out a NAPA parts store.
They carry heavy duty guages for tractors and construction equipment. VDO and other's. You can probably buy a dual gauge mount and place it somewhere on the front of the engine. Other than that look at a Summit or Jeg's catalog.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Moneypitt
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Carbed, the fuel pressure gauges are usually 0-15, with 4-7 being ideal for most carb'd applications, EFI gauges should go to 65 or so, some go to 100 but you'll seldom see 65PSI.....Water pressure, I never worry about it in a boat. Water temp yes, pressure no......Some here install pressure regulators on their jets and worry about pressure because of poorly sealed/gasketed engines. A decent built engine could care less about jet pressure thru a 1/2 pipe fitting, split in half, pushed thru the motor and out......A jet will show you where your weaknesses are in plumbing, but after it comes out of the jet everything up stream is bigger and freer flowing.......At least it should be......If you try to dump all the water thru the header trees, yeah, you'll create some back pressure, so add a couple of dumps......Fast moving water doesn't take as much heat with it as slow moving water, and jets, in my experience, always seem to run cold......No, I don't run a thermostat, never have, but I also don't run in super cold water......Biggest water problem for me is the drippers in the headers. Always seem to drip too much inside the boat even with 2 additional 5/8ths dumps..........Anything else?.......MP

Moneypitt
11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah, where to mount them?........Get creative... I put 2, mechanical oil, and mech temp in the kick board in front of the engine. The same board that guards against a passenger sticking their toes in the Alt belt. Yes, I have to turn around and look down to check them, but they are only a back up to the electric gauges on the dash.......Get creative, mount them on the motor somewhere.....That requires liquid/oil filled gauges because of vibration...Get creative.........Now explain why you want water pressure gauged......MP

Rexone
11-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Liquid filled small diameter pressure gauges bottom of this page.
http://www.rexmar.com/page199.html

Havasu Hangin'
11-29-2007, 06:23 AM
I had one of these from Summit on my old boat:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g3120.jpg
Worked great.

Moneypitt
11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I had one of these from Summit on my old boat:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g3120.jpg
Worked great.
Yeah those work bitchen if you're standing beside the boat. You must be able to monitor from the driver's seat or the gauge is useless for anything other than looks.........MP

GAWnCA
11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
What is the ideal water pressure?

GAWnCA
11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
What is the benefit of an oil filled gauge?

franky
11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
What is the benefit of an oil filled gauge?
They don't get trashed by the vibration, especially if mounted on the engine.

GAWnCA
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
They don't get trashed by the vibration, especially if mounted on the engine.
Thanks!! I never though about that.

Moneypitt
11-29-2007, 02:17 PM
What is the ideal water pressure?
Well an automotive pressure cap is rated between 9 and 15 Lbs. Depending on the era of the radiator. Remember, radiator pressure is to raise the boiling point of the water, as well as contain the expansion from heating. Neither applies to a boat unless you have a closed cooling system....I'm surprised none of the regulated pressure jetters here have jumped in. Having never regulated or gauged water pressure I have no idea.....MP

Rexone
11-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Generally most engines will take somewhere between 20-30 pounds before the intake gaskets give up. I prefer to keep it on the little under 20 side of that range.

Havasu Hangin'
11-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah those work bitchen if you're standing beside the boat. You must be able to monitor from the driver's seat or the gauge is useless for anything other than looks.........MP
Where's the best place to buy a water and fuel pressure gauges and not going to the dash, where's the best place to mount them in the engine area?
:idea:

rrrr
11-29-2007, 05:59 PM
This is how the oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter are monted on my engine. The guy that built the boat back in the day just freeform cut a piece of aluminum plate and drilled it for the gauges.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44158&stc=1&d=1196387945

GAWnCA
11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
This is how the oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter are monted on my engine. The guy that built the boat back in the day just freeform cut a piece of aluminum plate and drilled it for the gauges.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44158&stc=1&d=1196387945
Now that's a good idea but only need fuel and water pressure. But a great idea. BTW - Nice looking engine set up!

BrendellaJet
11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
....Some here install pressure regulators on their jets and worry about pressure because of poorly sealed/gasketed engines. A decent built engine could care less about jet pressure thru a 1/2 pipe fitting, split in half, pushed thru the motor and out......A jet will show you where your weaknesses are in plumbing, but after it comes out of the jet everything up stream is bigger and freer flowing.......At least it should be......If you try to dump all the water thru the header trees, yeah, you'll create some back pressure, so add a couple of dumps......
Most guys running gauges for the water in a jet are running them to make sure that they are running adequate pressure to avoid air/steam pockets in the motor/heads. Lots of pump gas high compression deals out there that need to KNOW that the pressure is not too low & not too high. Very easy to over do it or even under do it in a jet, the gauge makes it easy to tune the setup and also makes it easy to see if there is a problem.