PDA

View Full Version : Summer CA Beach Camping?'s

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Starting to plan a vacation in mid July next year out to the beach. I have lots of questions and would like input from people with experience camping (trailer or RV) on/near beaches in southern California.
1. Has anyone stayed at Newport Dunes or one of the campgrounds in Huntington Beach?
2. How is Newport Harbor when it comes to boats. I have a 27ft openbow and am considering taking it with us. Newport Dunes has a marina and launch ramps connected from what I can tell. My greatest concern, other than the actual water conditions, is security of my boat and trailer at night.
3. We started out looking at renting a motorhome for the 9 day stay, but found a place called 1stchoicerv.com in Irvine that has travel trailers for rent. Has anyone used them, or can someone recommend some other places? We were looking at El Monte RV, but I can get a pretty big trailer for less than a smaller RV, so it started to make sense to go with a trailer.
4. Does anyone have an "IN" with any of these places, or know if any of them offer discounts of some type? (AAA, Good Sam, etc.) Newport Dunes is pretty expensive, so any help in lowering the cost would be great.
Thanks in advance for the help. I am sure I will have more questions in the coming weeks.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2007, 03:57 AM
We use Newport Dunes several times a year.
We look at the higher cost as a deterant to keep trouble out.
Security is fine, (remove ipods ect at nite though) launching is fine and convienent if you're camping there IOHO's.
Not familiar with the trailer rental places, but if it's a better deal than El Monte, we think you're right in considering them. Newport Dunes may have RV rental places they already work with and approve BTW.
Newport Dunes has all kinds of family activities so perhaps check on what's up and maybe plan to be a part of them if they appeal to your kids.
For example:
They have a bicycle parade and the kids decorate their bikes with materials supplied by, and a decorating party held by NP Dunes.
Seems kinda trivial, but it's a BFD to many kids.
Bike riding from NPD to Balboa Island via the ferry is a huge thing to our kids BTW.
We found the Good Sam Discounts wern't worth our mailbox constantly being stuffed with Good Sam Insurance sales brochures and other nonsense Good Sam offers so we lump it and pay the extra 3 bucks.
You can check online or ask NPD what discounts they currently have.
Most their RV spots are simple back-ins, but they do have a few on the beach that are nice but very pricy.
Make the reservation early, they fill up fast. I'd recon probably 50% of their spots already taken by regulars with standing reservations. You can always cancil.
Hope this gives you some idea.
If givin a choice, our kids prefer on-the-water San Diego camping.

RVRKID
11-28-2007, 07:30 AM
We go to Newport Dunes every year and love it. The harbor wouldn't be a problem for your boat and the Marina is safe I believe(we have never taken a boat). Newport Dunes also has cottages they rent and a few are beach front, they might be a better deal then renting a trailer but not sure. They are pretty nice for what they are, kitchen master bedroom and a loft.
http://www.newportdunes.com/
Oh and be careful after 10PM they do push that very hard.

new2cats
11-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Find an RV park in San Diego near Mission Bay or Sea Port Village...launch your boat and keep it in slip at the Sea port Village Marina (Contact the Marriott for info)....there are lots of shop, places to eat/drink, the gas lamp district, beaches, amusement parks, Coronado. Also, great harbor cruising in your boat...fun stuff. There is an aircraft carrier tour that is killer for the kids!!
OC is kinda boring in my opinion!

new2cats
11-28-2007, 07:47 AM
One more thing....if you desire, there is a small train/trollie that takes you right to the Mexican border...walk into TJ for some donkey shows and bad Mescal-juice.......eat from the street vendor taco stands..good for about a 10 pound weight loss through the rectum!!!

909punk
11-28-2007, 07:58 AM
i always wanted to do this..
for the working stiffs most places have free wi-fi!! woot

TYLER DURDEN
11-28-2007, 08:09 AM
I have used 1st Choice RV. They are a first class operation. We have rented an RV from them a few times and never had any problems. The RV's were new, clean, fully decked out, and didn't feel like a rental (nor did they have the business name and "RENT ME" crap all over it.

MBlaster
11-28-2007, 08:28 AM
There are lots of awsome beach spots in so cal between Santa Barbara and San Diego. Weather you plan on boating or just doing the beach thing will decide where you want to stay. If you want to do both I vote somewhere on mission bay. For pure beach camping I like Carpinteria, Emma Wood, Doheny, Carlsbad. Last weekend we went to Silver Strand, that place is tops for pure beach camping.

OCMerrill
11-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I have used 1st Choice RV. They are a first class operation. We have rented an RV from them a few times and never had any problems. The RV's were new, clean, fully decked out, and didn't feel like a rental (nor did they have the business name and "RENT ME" crap all over it.
I believe these guys operate out of the same storage yard I keep my motor home in. Behind Traveland in Irvine?
They are always busy.

Jordy
11-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Newport Dunes is a great place all around. The little cottages aren't anything to really write home about, but they are a roof and a place to crash. The loft upstairs is great if you're about 3' tall. As far as taking the boat, you'll have a blast in Newport Harbor with it, and it will be fine there on the trailer. The washdown facilities are outstanding there. Just be sure and take a garden hose, some salt away, and a pocket full of quarters, although, they do have a bill changer there now. The Back Bay Cafe also has some pretty decent food as well, and a nice bar that overlooks the launch ramp. It's always fun to sit and have a few cocktails and watch rookie day on the ramp. :D

Caljamr
11-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Find an RV park in San Diego near Mission Bay or Sea Port Village...launch your boat and keep it in slip at the Sea port Village Marina (Contact the Marriott for info)....there are lots of shop, places to eat/drink, the gas lamp district, beaches, amusement parks, Coronado. Also, great harbor cruising in your boat...fun stuff. There is an aircraft carrier tour that is killer for the kids!!
OC is kinda boring in my opinion!
I've stayed at Campland in Mission Bay and had a good time.
http://www.campland.com/
I've always wanted to stay at or near Sea Port Village.
Last month we did the USS Midway aircraft carrier tour with my dad who served on it in 68-74. That was a blast.

Jordy
11-28-2007, 08:39 AM
San Diego Harbor can get all kinds of rough when some of the bigger boats roll through, where as Newport is all no wake and protected, so it stays really flat. :)

OnlyMoney
11-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Newport Dunes is a great place all around. The little cottages aren't anything to really write home about, but they are a roof and a place to crash. The loft upstairs is great if you're about 3' tall. As far as taking the boat, you'll have a blast in Newport Harbor with it, and it will be fine there on the trailer. The washdown facilities are outstanding there. Just be sure and take a garden hose, some salt away, and a pocket full of quarters, although, they do have a bill changer there now. The Back Bay Cafe also has some pretty decent food as well, and a nice bar that overlooks the launch ramp. It's always fun to sit and have a few cocktails and watch rookie day on the ramp. :D
On that note, I'm gonna start kissing BW's ass now...hope for an invite one weekend next year. :)

Jordy
11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
...hope for an invite one weekend next year. :)
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much Newport time we're going to have next year as someone decided to start a family and have fukkin' twins. :notam:
Although, I'm sure by 4th of July he's going to need some time away. Perhaps we'll just have to drag a few of the nannies out to Cali for some time away from Mrs. BW and the offsprings. :D :D :D
Jordy <----very happy Mrs. BW doesn't come on ***boat. :D

OnlyMoney
11-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much Newport time we're going to have next year as someone decided to start a family and have fukkin' twins. :notam:
Although, I'm sure by 4th of July he's going to need some time away. Perhaps we'll just have to drag a few of the nannies out to Cali for some time away from Mrs. BW and the offsprings. :D :D :D
Jordy <----very happy Mrs. BW doesn't come on ***boat. :D
What!??!? He didn't use the glove??? :eek: :D :D :D
That's our first anniversary weekend....hmmmm. Do I spend it with Jordy, do I not? :idea:

Jordy
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM
What!??!? He didn't use the glove??? :eek: :D :D
They were actually trying to contaminate the gene pool ON PURPOSE!!! :jawdrop: :idea: :D
That's our first anniversary weekend....hmmmm. Do I spend it with Jordy, do I not? :idea:
C'mon now, like the husband will mind if you drag the boyfriend along. He was ok with it at the birthday bash. :D :D :D

DeltaSigBoater
11-28-2007, 09:51 AM
The security at the Dunes is second to none, I know 1st hand :rolleyes: and they are not afraid to detain you and call OCSD or NBPD :mad:
From the Dunes to open ocean is 40-45 minutes.
From there you can follow the coast to one of the following harbors;
North; Huntington Harbour, Los Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
South; Dana Point

Ziggy
11-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Find a nice wife Jordy, will ya...:D:D sheesh;)

Jordy
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
What did I ever do to you that would make you want to say something so mean??? :idea: :( :D :D :D

OnlyMoney
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
C'mon now, like the husband will mind if you drag the boyfriend along. He was ok with it at the birthday bash. :D :D :D
That IS true...he DID say that. And with witnesses. :idea: I'll wait and see if he has any early plans going. Then I'll weigh my options. It is RIGHT before our family 10 dayer on Powell.

Make it a Double
11-28-2007, 11:01 AM
ThatÂ’s the problem all he finds in nice wives.;) :) :o

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
We use Newport Dunes several times a year.
We look at the higher cost as a deterant to keep trouble out.
Security is fine, (remove ipods ect at nite though) launching is fine and convienent if you're camping there IOHO's.
Not familiar with the trailer rental places, but if it's a better deal than El Monte, we think you're right in considering them. Newport Dunes may have RV rental places they already work with and approve BTW.
Newport Dunes has all kinds of family activities so perhaps check on what's up and maybe plan to be a part of them if they appeal to your kids.
For example:
They have a bicycle parade and the kids decorate their bikes with materials supplied by, and a decorating party held by NP Dunes.
Seems kinda trivial, but it's a BFD to many kids.
Bike riding from NPD to Balboa Island via the ferry is a huge thing to our kids BTW.
We found the Good Sam Discounts wern't worth our mailbox constantly being stuffed with Good Sam Insurance sales brochures and other nonsense Good Sam offers so we lump it and pay the extra 3 bucks.
You can check online or ask NPD what discounts they currently have.
Most their RV spots are simple back-ins, but they do have a few on the beach that are nice but very pricy.
Make the reservation early, they fill up fast. I'd recon probably 50% of their spots already taken by regulars with standing reservations. You can always cancil.
Hope this gives you some idea.
If givin a choice, our kids prefer on-the-water San Diego camping.
I am from San Diego (and stationed there while in the Navy). Anyway, my very first idea was to stay at Campland. I used to hang out there when I was a teenager (lot's of out of town girls visiting for short time periods). After looking into it, and the fact that I have family in Newport Beach and Huntington beach, the better deal is Newport Dunes. For just about the same ammenities, Newport Dunes is $300 cheaper for the week. When I contacted Campland by e-mail, they also were a little short with their answers. Also, I looked at their launch ramp, and greasy is the best description I can give. I used to launch from ski beach. Thanks for the great reply.

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
That is very good to hear. They have already said they will give me a discount. They are discontinuing their 31 foot model next year (the one I planned on renting), and said they will give me the 32 for the same price as the 31. It's about $300 cheaper for my 9 days. They were also really quick to reply to e-mails and answered all of my questions. Thanks again.

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
There are lots of awsome beach spots in so cal between Santa Barbara and San Diego. Weather you plan on boating or just doing the beach thing will decide where you want to stay. If you want to do both I vote somewhere on mission bay. For pure beach camping I like Carpinteria, Emma Wood, Doheny, Carlsbad. Last weekend we went to Silver Strand, that place is tops for pure beach camping.
We looked into Campland. See my other reply. Also, when I lived there, I spent a lot of time on Mission Bay and in San Diego Harbor on my waverunner (only missed 4 days the last year due to rain and duty). Loved jumping waves out by Point Loma. Anyway, I think I would get bored pretty fast. Just for the fact that I spent so much time there in the past. It was my very first plan though, and we may spend some time there in the future. I am getting home sick a little. We live in AZ now. Thanks again for the info.

riverroyal
11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
san elijo state park or carlsbad beach statepark,right on the surf,great prices also

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 04:01 PM
So you are saying they have a place that is secure to keep the boat when out of the water? That is great news to hear. I have a lot of money (to me) in the stereo and toys. I was, and still am a little, nervous bringing the boat somewhere without knowing it will be safe when parked. Is the storage close by the campsites? You wouldn't happen to know who to contact about this would you? Newport Dunes website says I have to call a different number. I was thinking that the boat storage was not part of Newport Dunes camping. Thanks again.

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
san elijo state park or carlsbad beach statepark,right on the surf,great prices also
How are they for ammenities. I want to ease the wife and daughters into this slowly. I don't think they are ready for true roughing it. Thanks.

riverroyal
11-28-2007, 04:07 PM
How are they for ammenities. I want to ease the wife and daughters into this slowly. I don't think they are ready for true roughing it. Thanks.
private and a store,,you getting a motorhome or tent?

Cole Sanger
11-28-2007, 10:14 PM
private and a store,,you getting a motorhome or tent?
We are going with a 32' travel trailer. Do they have all the hookups? Electrical/water/sewage?

MBlaster
11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
No, most of the state beaches are dry camping. You can get full hookups or electric/water at Carpinteria SB. They all have hot showers and restrooms if you don't want to use your rig. You should be able to dry camp comfortably for at least 3 nights. I usually bring a couple extra deep cycles and a 750 watt inverter to power just the sat and tv. Next year I want to do a solar setup on the RV.

jdogginla
11-29-2007, 06:11 AM
What!??!? He didn't use the glove??? :eek: :D :D :D
That's our first anniversary weekend....hmmmm. :
Hmmmm....where are we going? Just send my invite for the get away weekend via email, LOL :D