PDA

View Full Version : Pool table?

Blown Lavey
11-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on new vs. used tables? I want one for the house and I have a budget of 2k? Seems to be a lot of internet retailers and wholesalers with some nice tables for under 2k. Any brands to stay away from? I know about 1" slate and no mdf in construction any other suggestions?

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on new vs. used tables? I want one for the house and I have a budget of 2k? Seems to be a lot of internet retailers and wholesalers with some nice tables for under 2k. Any brands to stay away from? I know about 1" slate and no mdf in construction any other suggestions?
Paging RiverDave!!!!!!
If you plan on keeping it for a looooooong time I would stay away from the internet retailers and the super cheapy deals as they are import tables. Also a lot of times you still have to pay to have it assembled and it might cost a bit more because they are in a thousand different pieces and basically built in your home. IMO Brunswick and Olhausen are the best brands out there. Brunswick is the most pricey though I think. There is an Olhausen model that is under 2 grand but you don't get much choice in color options and such. I bought my Olhausen Eclipse and it was $2400 out the door. It's a nice table but doesn't have all the extra hand carved stuff that makes them super expensive. The difference between a couple grand and 4 grand a lot of times is not only the carvings and decor but also the wood. Mine the legs and aprons and all that are solid oak but the frame is a veneer. Olhausen are built in the factory. Completely put together and checked and then the frame is shipped whole. In your house the attach the legs, slate and rails and apron and cloth, level and such. Takes about an hour, two at most. Another nice brand that will cost you less is Imperial. Probably not as good as an Olhausen or especially a Brunswick but they cost less or for the same price you can upgrade the hell out of it with Diamond sights and different woods and stuff like that. They are in a lot of pieces but if the tech is good they will set it up right and in a couple of hours or so. Just depends on what you want for the money you want. The 2400 I spent included Aramith balls, a couple of custom cues, a couple of house cues, book, brush, and chalk. Make sure you get everything to be able to play a round or two as soon as it's setup and see if that's included in the price for comparison. I get compliments all the time about how bichen my table plays. Family I know with pool tables don't get the same compliments. My in-laws Imperial is nice but doesn't play as fast. That could be in the setup though. I don't think the cloth was pulled as tight.
Oh well wait for Riverdave. He will say buy a used Brunswick Gold Crown. Even though it will look like $hit it will be the best table you every played on. :D

Todd969
11-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Voodooman makes great points.
Our table is an Imperial and has been flawless. My only input is add SIMONIS cloth instead of felt. Your pool game will go to a new level.:)

Cheap Thrills
11-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Vitalie (http://www.vitalie-manufacturing.com/) The best hand crafted table you will ever play on. Of course I'm a little biased since they're just down the road from me. :D But I don't think they have anything for 2k
You can usually pick up a used 7' bar table pretty cheap I've seen several nice one for 1k.
T.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-28-2007, 07:16 AM
I prefer Spider Professional tables and Gorina cloth, but you'll lay down some coin. You get what you pay for ;)

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Voodooman makes great points.
Our table is an Imperial and has been flawless. My only input is add SIMONIS cloth instead of felt. Your pool game will go to a new level.:)
Yes. I missed that. I have Simonis. It was included in the price too.
Vitalie (http://www.vitalie-manufacturing.com/) The best hand crafted table you will ever play on. Of course I'm a little biased since they're just down the road from me. :D But I don't think they have anything for 2k
You can usually pick up a used 7' bar table pretty cheap I've seen several nice one for 1k.
T.
I prefer Spider Professional tables and Gorina cloth, but you'll lay down some coin. You get what you pay for ;)
Yes nice expensive tables. Next time he asks about buying a Sports Car under 75 grand instead of mentioning a Corvette or something like that I'll tell him to just go buy a Bugatti Veyron.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Yes nice expensive tables. Next time he asks about buying a Sports Car under 75 grand instead of mentioning a Corvette or something like that I'll tell him to just go buy a Bugatti Veyron.
The local Sports Authority has tables on sale for $500. I'm sure they have 6 pockets too!

Cheap Thrills
11-28-2007, 07:44 AM
I saw a pool table at walmart the other day so just for shits and giggles I decided to hit their webpage Look here ,you might be as surprised as I am. (http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do?ic=12_0&ref=125872.220503&catNavId=4158) :eek: :idea:
T.

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 07:46 AM
The local Sports Authority has tables on sale for $500. I'm sure they have 6 pockets too!
Maybe you didn't read my first post where I was talking about Brunswick, Olhausens, and Imperial's. Nice tables in his price range and not some import or even worse something with particle board for a playing surface instead of slate. You guys are talking about tables that you have to take a second and third mortgage out on the house for and do they really play better than a Brunswick or Olhausen or do they just have all kinds of fancy wood and stuff.

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
I saw a pool table at walmart the other day so just for shits and giggles I decided to hit their webpage Look here ,you might be as surprised as I am. (http://www.walmart.com/search/browse-ng.do?ic=12_0&ref=125872.220503&catNavId=4158) :eek: :idea:
T.
That's one of the big problems with all this China crap. You know how many people will buy that stuff and it will play like crap and then fall apart in two years only for them to replace it with the next crappy model up. By the time they buy two or three tables they could have bought a quality American made table that will outlast them.

soupersonic
11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
http://www.worldofleisuremfg.com/tables/category/index.php?table=SAN+ANTONIO
This is the table i have. 4 x 8 only because a 9' er wouldnt fit. It was about $1400 delivered and set up with all the accessories. It plays very well.
You should be able to go to any local table manufacturer and find a similar deal. Slate is slate but the cloth and the rails make the table. Dont spend money on high end wood like maple or w/e just get oak and have them stain it the color you want. Oak reacts better with the rubber rail.

prosthogod
11-28-2007, 08:21 AM
I have a triple slate full size, ~100yrs old that needs to be restored and put together. great project. I would let go for ~600$

Cheap Thrills
11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
That's one of the big problems with all this China crap. You know how many people will buy that stuff and it will play like crap and then fall apart in two years only for them to replace it with the next crappy model up. By the time they buy two or three tables they could have bought a quality American made table that will outlast them.
I was just pointing out that they carry more than the kiddy tables. I agree they are Crapola. I was just surprised they carried so many. I agree with the Brunswick suggestion. most of the bar/pool hall tables I've played on were Brunswick. If they can stand up to years of slobbering drunks falling on them and the weekly bar room brawl then they should definitely withstand a lifetime or two of home use.
T.

halfhers
11-28-2007, 11:29 AM
hello HB peeps, i know i should have put this in spam but i wasn't going to.
i have a pooltable for sale made from soild oak (no MDF) legs are eagle claw. custom made. i need to make room for my theater room, i'm selling for $1200.00 includes eight/nine ball rack also i'm throwing in two bar stools i paid over $3000.00. if interested IM me. thanks....

RiverDave
11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Paging RiverDave!!!!!!
Oh well wait for Riverdave. He will say buy a used Brunswick Gold Crown. Even though it will look like $hit it will be the best table you every played on. :D
You think a Gold Crown looks like shit? You got issues mang!! :D
As others have suggested, take a look at Diamond, Brunswick, Olhauesen, World of Leisure, Murrey, Artisan, etc.. If your looking more for a players table.
If your looking for a peace of furniture that happens to double as a pool table, then it's more a matter of taste then playabillity.
As far as the playabillity of a table though, Diamond Pro and a Gold Crown are pretty much the nuts.
I know nothing about them, just happened to stumble upon it the other day when I was looking for something else, but these people seem to have some nice looking tables in your budget.
http://billiardex.com/pool_table_gallery.php?OVRAW=pool%20table%20mfg&OVKEY=pool%20table&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=395707513&OVKWID=2707358513
RD

RiverDave
11-28-2007, 11:48 AM
T.
Nice looking tables for sure!! :)
Spider Table? Never heard of it.
RD

DeltaSigBoater
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
The worst part about spending several thousand dollars on a new pool table is when you go to get rid of it for whatever reason, you almost have to give it away. The one we had cost $5000 +/- in '94, 9' Solid Oak, 1.75" slate, mother of pearl dot sights, leather pockets. Sold it back in '03 for $900. I really wanted to keep it but I was in school at the time and didnt want it to get destroyed.
My point is that if you start looking in the PennySaver, Newpaper Classifids, Craigslist etc. you'll find a qoog quality one without paying through the nose.

Music to my Ears
11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
The worst part about spending several thousand dollars on a new pool table is when you go to get rid of it for whatever reason, you almost have to give it away. The one we had cost $5000 +/- in '94, 9' Solid Oak, 1.75" slate, mother of pearl dot sights, leather pockets. Sold it back in '03 for $900. I really wanted to keep it but I was in school at the time and didnt want it to get destroyed.
My point is that if you start looking in the PennySaver, Newpaper Classifids, Craigslist etc. you'll find a qoog quality one without paying through the nose.
Just make sure you have a very good installer put it together for you. IMO, that's just about as important as the table itself.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Maybe you didn't read my first post where I was talking about Brunswick, Olhausens, and Imperial's. Nice tables in his price range and not some import or even worse something with particle board for a playing surface instead of slate. You guys are talking about tables that you have to take a second and third mortgage out on the house for and do they really play better than a Brunswick or Olhausen or do they just have all kinds of fancy wood and stuff.
Hmmm, Here is a pic of the world champion Roberto Rojas playing on our Elite Spider table. It's a Carom table, but they make nice pocket tables too. No fancy crap, just 100% professional pool tables
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44054&stc=1&d=1196282292

Some Kind Of Monster
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Nice looking tables for sure!! :)
Spider Table? Never heard of it.
RD
Sorry, they are made by Elite. I should have specified that.

soupersonic
11-28-2007, 01:05 PM
What about cues ? Anyone have any old school cues around ?
Heres one of my favorites Meucci Oldies series O-1
Stainless Steel joint birdseye maple and mother of pearl inlays
13mm shaft and 19.5 oz
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_1485.JPG

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Hmmm, Here is a pic of the world champion Roberto Rojas playing on our Elite Spider table. It's a Carom table, but they make nice pocket tables too. No fancy crap, just 100% professional pool tables
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44054&stc=1&d=1196282292
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying the Elite Spider was a piece of crap. I was saying that it may not be in his price range. It all depends on where it's going. My living room is converted into a billiard/dart room and I have paneling and everything on the wall making it a nice room. I wasn't going to spend 10 grand on a table with all kinds of fancy stuff but I don't want the basic black pool hall model either. I got an Olhausen Eclipse that is a pro table but looks decent in the house. You have to remember too that not everybody is a pro. I suck so I don't need something a pro would keep around but I know when I'm playing on $hit too.

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
You think a Gold Crown looks like shit? You got issues mang!! :D
:D

SummerBreeze
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I bought a used 8ft table with all the stuff for $900.00
I took it apart and set it up myself. I looked at the new tables and didn't want to spend that much on one.

RVRBUM2
11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
hey brown check out halfhers table on spam looks like a pretty nice table

RVRBUM2
11-28-2007, 04:10 PM
sorry blown not brown my bad

Blown Lavey
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
It will be going in my dining room, first thing you will see when you walk in. It needs to be nice furniture quality or the wife will x nay it.
Thanks.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying the Elite Spider was a piece of crap. I was saying that it may not be in his price range. It all depends on where it's going. My living room is converted into a billiard/dart room and I have paneling and everything on the wall making it a nice room. I wasn't going to spend 10 grand on a table with all kinds of fancy stuff but I don't want the basic black pool hall model either. I got an Olhausen Eclipse that is a pro table but looks decent in the house. You have to remember too that not everybody is a pro. I suck so I don't need something a pro would keep around but I know when I'm playing on $hit too.
No, I know what you're saying. I'm just showing my stuff off and giving another option (the thread starter isn't the only person seeing this you know). I'm definitely not a pro, but like you said, I know the difference ;)

RiverDave
11-29-2007, 07:53 AM
What about cues ? Anyone have any old school cues around ?
I have a Schon SP 31 that I play with.. 3 playing shafts, 2 of them are the original Schon shafts, and 1 Runde Shaft with an ivory ferrule.
http://www.palmercollector.com/Schon/SchonRandSPad1990.html
I have an old (25+?) good condition Joss custom sneaky..
Then I have something similar to this getting built right now.
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458
My primary playing cue for the last year has been my KD though. I have another cue being built by Kent as well.
RD

Angie
02-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I just purchased a new home and started to decorate my basement around. I am looking into purchasing a big pool table with all accessories for a reasonable price. I want something of quality for a good price if I can find something like that, it would be great. I am looking mainly for tables that are on sale. Does anyone know where I can purchase a pool table on sale or for a good price?