PDA

View Full Version : Corona connection to the Angels

DILLIGAF
11-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Thought this was pretty funny. This Del Taco is close by my place in Corona. I have eaten there many times.
11:38 PM PST on Monday, November 26, 2007
By MATT HURST
The Press-Enterprise
As far as courtships go, it wasn't lengthy and it certainly wasn't sexy, the decision to sign the winter's biggest free agent outside of Alex Rodriguez done in a matter of hours and consummated at a fast food restaurant in Corona.
When Riverside-based agent Larry Reynolds called Angels general manager Tony Reagins last Tuesday, a seemingly innocuous conversation about which free agents Reynolds was representing quickly turned serious when Reagins asked about Torii Hunter.
The query came as a bit of a surprise to Reynolds, considering the Angels had signed a center fielder just last winter and Hunter seemed geared to sign with either the Chicago White Sox, Texas Rangers or Kansas City Royals, all of whom had already offered contracts. Hunter was also scheduled to meet with the Dodgers this past Sunday.
"At the GM meetings a couple weeks ago, I mentioned (Hunter) to him, kind of planting a seed in his mind," Reynolds said. "I wasn't sure if he heard it or not because it was in the midst of the A-Rod stuff. Fortunately, I think it had some impact on this thing."
After spurning a three-year, $45 million deal from Minnesota, Hunter had three other offers in the five-year, $70 million range. The Angels ultimately shelled out $90 million over five years, the richest contract in franchise history. After passing his physical Monday, Hunter will be formally introduced Wednesday, along with pitcher Jon Garland, who was acquired from the White Sox for Orlando Cabrera.
During Reynolds and Reagins' conversation, Reynolds said he wanted to make sure that the Angels were truly interested. When he found out they were, he and Reagins decided to meet Tuesday afternoon at the Del Taco off the Serfas Club Drive exit off the 91.
"I drive the 91 pretty often," said Reagins, who hails from Indio. "Del Taco is one of my favorite fast food chains. I knew that one halfway between Riverside and Anaheim."
So the two set to talking on the parameters of the deal, which will pay Hunter $18.5 million next season -- and includes a $2.5 million signing bonus and a no-trade clause -- to be the team's center fielder. The following day, they met again at the Ayres Hotel in Yorba Linda.
"I think it was more Tony not wanting people to see either he or myself," Reynolds said. "It was kind of an unsuspecting spot. Both those spots met that criteria, I guess."
Hunter had initially told Reynolds he was interested in the Angels more than a year ago when he was unsure that the Twins would pick up his option. Reynolds said that when the Angels made the offer his client was ecstatic; he didn't think he would have an opportunity to play with the Angels.
Reagins said they wanted to get a deal done quickly.
"We didn't want to fly around the country, and we didn't want to have the pomp and circumstance," Reagins said.
After all, the pomp and circumstance routine had already been presented to him. Hunter dined at Texas owner Tom Hicks' ranch a few days earlier and the Chicago White Sox representatives flew to Texas with a video featuring Jim Thome and Bulls center Ben Wallace urging him to join the South Siders. The Royals also met with Hunter.
"I always imagined my deal would get done inside a board room or a Capital Grille," Hunter told USA Today. "Turns out it was done at a Del Taco. Can you believe it? The deal gets done over some tacos."
Reagins chatted with Hunter on Wednesday and also left a message for Gary Matthews Jr. late Wednesday night to tell him he was being replaced as the team's everyday center fielder.
Calls and text messages to Matthews' agent in an attempt to reach Matthews have gone unreturned.
"He was fine," Reagins said of Matthews, who will split time between left and right fields next season. "I think he was digesting the situation. The bottom line is Gary, Torii and the Angels want to win. He understands the business and that we're trying to win a championship here. In that regard he's on board in trying to win long term."
Couldn't Matthews, though, be used as trade bait?
"No," Reagins said. "He's an Angel."
Reach Matt Hurst at mhurst@PE.com