PDA

View Full Version : Any must sees in the LA area??

John_Simms
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm going to be in Santa Clarita, CA next week on business and will have Saturday night and all day Sunday free. Being a midwesterner and having never been to CA before, is there anything specific I should check out while in the area? I was thinking about making a loop from Santa Clarita to Ventura, then down Route 1 to Santa Monica, then back to Santa Clarita. Is that a reasonable trip for a Sunday?
Thanks for the info.
John

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd say Watts, Compton, and South Central should be on the list... :D

squirt'nmyload
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
you beat me to it :D

DeltaSigBoater
11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
PINKS (http://www.pinkshollywood.com/) :D

mondorally
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm going to be in Santa Clarita, CA next week on business and will have Saturday night and all day Sunday free. Being a midwesterner and having never been to CA before, is there anything specific I should check out while in the area? I was thinking about making a loop from Santa Clarita to Ventura, then down Route 1 to Santa Monica, then back to Santa Clarita. Is that a reasonable trip for a Sunday?
Thanks for the info.
John
Its reasonable but Sunday traffic is hit or miss. Definately an all day drive if you plan on stopping and enjoying it a bit.

gramps
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
I'd say Watts, Compton, and South Central should be on the list... :D
I'd add East L.A. to the list.........that way he can see what all of the west coast will be like in a few years.

superdave013
11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
if you are going to Santa Monica you might as well see the freak show at Venice Beach.

voodoomedman
11-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the info.
John
Ventura, Santa Barbara area is beautiful. LA sucks. Sunday make sure that you are not driving south past like noon or you will be screwed.

C-2
11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, might need you to stop and serve some papers on a guy on PCH in Malibu.
...kidding, but it looks like I'll be headed up that way to do the same.
Coming thru Camarillo there is Ojai; and the trip down PCH from Ventura County, thru Malibu is pretty nice, so long as there's no fires. Gladstones restaurant is there on PCH in Malibu.The LA County beaches are not as nice/happening as OC, but that drive is pretty cool.
They have cleaned up the Santa Monica Pier area nicely, and Santa Monica in general is nice, you can easily hit the 3rd Street Promenade for shopping. The freakshow in Venice on a Sunday will be in full force and effect - just a pain in the butt to get to.
Second the vote for Santa Barbara too, but that would take up your whole day.
Whenever my in-laws come from New Zealand/Australia/England - they too have about a zillion places to visit in LA - and are always bummed when they hit that good ole' traffic, and realize LA is actually a pretty big place.
So I take it no Six Flags for you?

Schiada76
11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
West Hollywood is a MUST. Lots of good bars and you'll hook up guaranteed.;) :D

C-2
11-28-2007, 11:40 AM
West Hollywood is a MUST. Lots of good bars and you'll hook up guaranteed.;) :D
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
At least that's what you're told (I hope):D

vee-driven
11-28-2007, 11:54 AM
The corner of florence and normandie is always a good time!

Cigalert
11-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Awe com'on now...can't we all just get along?

C-2
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
It is kinda cool to pop into a BofA there – and get buzzed into the bank, or at least into a holding area where you raise your hands, turn around and if you pass inspection, are then buzzed into the bank lobby, where you can have that personal one-on-one teller experience thru 1.5” thick plexiglass.
Just don’t plan on using an outside ATM – cuz they don’t have any.:eek:

whiteworks
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd say to book a hotel room at the Huntley Hotel in Santa Monica for Saturday night. Hire a town car service to run you around for early drinks and dinner (Manhatten/Redondo beach). Then go back to your Hotel around 9 or 10 and head up to the Penthouse Bar and immerse yourself in the local culture. BTW there will be a lot of pretty girls so brace yourself.

Not So Fast
11-28-2007, 12:18 PM
It is kinda cool to pop into a BofA there – and get buzzed into the bank, or at least into a holding area where you raise your hands, turn around and if you pass inspection, are then buzzed into the bank lobby, where you can have that personal one-on-one teller experience thru 1.5” thick plexiglass.
Just don’t plan on using an outside ATM – cuz they don’t have any.:eek:
Or go into a doughnut shop, MacDonalds or this type of establishment and not be surprised at having to talk thru speakers to a person on the other side of a 1"1/2 plexigalss window, then have your order come out of a sliding type drawer/tray from underneath the window:confused: Makes you feel a little uneasy;) NSF

RitcheyRch
11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Definitely hit Venice Beach if spoosible to see the freaks and weirdos.

Schiada76
11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
At least that's what you're told (I hope):D
Didn't say hook up with what.:idea: :sqeyes: :confused:

ColeTR2
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd go north up to Solvang, CA and
http://www.solvangca.com/1/photo/index.html
Morro Bay
http://www.morro-bay.net/
even Hearst Castle
http://www.hearstcastle.com/
Much nicer and a easy drive

djunkie
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Lomita is nice this time of year. :D :D

HavaSkank
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
The Man Hole in West Hollywood is a favorite ***boat regulars gathering spot

NOTALENT
11-28-2007, 12:41 PM
PINKS (http://www.pinkshollywood.com/) :D
FOCK YEAH! This place is a must!:D Everytime I ride Malibu I stop here, best grub around!
Drive through Hollyweird at night...see lots of cool things and you can get a map to the stars homes:D
Venice Beach is a must IMO.

topless
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I'd go north up to Solvang, CA and
http://www.solvangca.com/1/photo/index.html
Morro Bay
http://www.morro-bay.net/
even Hearst Castle
http://www.hearstcastle.com/
Much nicer and a easy driveHell, might as well just send him to San Francisco.

eliminatedsprinter
11-28-2007, 01:05 PM
if you are going to Santa Monica you might as well see the freak show at Venice Beach.
Exactly!! Esp on sunday. Then you can better understand Ca politics and why they are the way they are....;)

Hustler
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
If you do that loop make sure to stop at Neptunes Net right around the Ventura/LA county line on PCH.

b's sanger
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, Northern California!!!

burtandnancy2
11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
John, hardly a serious reply there yet, but afterall, this is ***boat. Once you leave the Bob Teague Showroom, you may want to see the Reagan Museum only minutes away, on your way to Ojai, Ventura or Santa Barbara, then back down the coast to whatever those guys said. Peterson Museum, if you are a car guy, SC Performance boats (Scott Conrad) in Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and so forth. Never travel inbound in the AM or outbound in the PM...

BoatPI
11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
you could walk down Main St in Surf City and try to figure out how our water supply has a fantastic effect on womens bodies here.

John_Simms
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Definitely hit Venice Beach if spoosible to see the freaks and weirdos.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time.
Sounds like the Midwestern freaks and weirdo's will pale by comparison!!
John

superdave013
11-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time.
Sounds like the Midwestern freaks and weirdo's will pale by comparison!!
John
I grew up in Indiana. Moved here when I was 21. Was like moving to a different country. lol
Burt gave some great advice.

coolchange
11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info.
John
Thats a reasonable trip if you want to spend all day in the car. Neptunes Net on PCH below Venturea is a good lunch spot on the beach. Might be sitting on a bench with a bum or the Governator having a bowl of chowder and a beer. Gladstones on PCH and Sunset is good celebrity siteing and out side patio for a bucket of clams and a beer. Go up sunset into hollywood /Beverly hills. Venice will kill most of the day if you like freak shows and 3 hours on the fwy. Sat night try universal city walk for peaple watching and try Howl at the Moon if yo like the crazy piano bar thing. Its about a 30 min ride back to SC.

voodoomedman
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I second the Howl at the Moon suggestion. AWESOME little bar. I know (kinda) one of the piano players and each one of them know, literally, thousands of songs. Very laid back and pretty cheap too. Dont plan on going to the sudios to see any of the writers strike or anything though cause they only strike on Mon - Fri 9 to 5.
Also, a not-so-well-known fact, a lot of the movie and TV studios are in Burbank, not Hollywood.
3rd Howl at the Moon. Get a bucket of Adios and a DD.

scooooter7
11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Best thing to do on a Saturday night is arrange for a "ride-along" with the LAPD. It will be a night you won't soon forget.

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Tams burgers, Manchester and Figuroa, best meal in L.A., and the best show on the streets....Some of the finest street art around, rattle can heaven!!!:D

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 11:04 PM
Stay out of the ocean, the bacteria levels are bad cause of the rain....and lots of homeless people floating down river!!!:D

WishIknew
12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Tams burgers, Manchester and Figuroa, best meal in L.A., and the best show on the streets....Some of the finest street art around, rattle can heaven!!!:D
Food to DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!! And Chili fries

WishIknew
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
This Guy is going to put the Hat outa business Fast Freddy Style!!!!!!