PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1, at what point....

buzzaro
03-05-2006, 12:37 PM
do you need to start thinking about upgrading the drive and steering, HP-wise. Would an otherwise stock mildly boosted (+- 4psi) need to to consider it?

TIMINATOR
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
What is the engine? What is the boat? What type of blower? It all matters. TIMINATOR

buzzaro
03-05-2006, 01:24 PM
What is the engine? What is the boat? What type of blower? It all matters. TIMINATOR
my god, i didnt even realize i left all that out until i read your reply, lol. '01 23' cobra razor, 454mag w/ imco exhaust.
I was thinking centrifugal blower to keep it all under the hood.

deltarat
03-06-2006, 07:23 AM
My Fountain had a Bravo 1 on it when I bought it. It has a built 502 with a whipple on it. It lasted along time for the previous owner but only for about 3 months for me. In my opinion I would always upgrade your drive as it is always the weak link.

dirty old man
03-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Your boat is fairly light, should hold up a full season if you don't drag race it. Freshen it up annually

buzzaro
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys, basically a blown big block will destroy a bravo1 in fairly short order without a lot of maintence and money. Hopefully i can live with the 454 unblown, its starting to sound like its going to cost me waaay more than i think i can talk the little woman into :)

Wild Horses
03-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys, basically a blown big block will destroy a bravo1 in fairly short order without a lot of maintence and money. Hopefully i can live with the 454 unblown, its starting to sound like its going to cost me waaay more than i think i can talk the little woman into :)
I put a Vortec on a built 502 3 years ago. No problems with the outdrive. Things that I have come to understand, don't mash the throttle, keep your outdrive in the water, better to spin the engine higher and run less prop if possible. (5700 rpm for me)
The centrifical superchargers are alot easier on the outdrive, its basically a naturally aspirated motor until you get on plane, less torque on the drive. I've been told that getting on plane is what kills them.