PDA

View Full Version : would titanium valves work in turbo

badbug
11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
bbc twin turbo that occassionally will have to see 8000 rpm's. Would titanium valves be better than stainless when used in a drag style application and lake use. Never run for long distances. Im thinking that the titanium would be better for the high rpm's but didnt know if they would be good for turbos with tha extra heat. Whats the deal?

ck7684
11-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Wouldnt you want an Inconel valve?

Unchained
11-29-2007, 06:54 AM
What are you setting up now Gary ?
I thought you were running a MFI blown alky setup in your 26' tunnel boat.
I haven't heard from Rick in a long time.
How did his turbo jet boat turn out ?
Any pictures of it ?

badbug
11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
ricks jet is running with the twin turbos, but i think hes having tuning issues as he still hasnt made a wide open pass yet. Oh yea, i know, the problem hes having is with the header pipes they made are getting the fiberglass too hot so he ordered water jacketed gentry manifolds.
im going back to turbos and im running the 22 ft stryker that i always have run. Im setting it up to run the 1/8 th mile drag also to run with the outboards. I need to turn about 8000 with the small prop to et the boat. That is why my question about the valves. I know i would rather have the titanium valves for the rpm, but didnt know how compatible they were with turbos. I ordered 2 garrett turbos with gentry water jacketed turbine housings like i used to have and electronic waste gate actuators to use with electronic waste gate controller. Will use the water jacketed race aero exhausts. Maybe i should use inconel exhaust and titanium intakes. What do you think about that. I cant afford efi right now and i will probably try that killer c and s aerosol blow thru carb i keep hearing about. They say they have it down with the fuel curves pretty well right now. I have a new aluminum block and not sure which cubic inch i should build to do the job. I need all the response i can get off the line, even if i have to use nitrous, but would rather not use it. My boat is down to 2700 lbs now and i have run it 118 mph gps so far in just over a quarter mile with a 28 bravo one prop at 7500 rpms. I was thinking the bigger the motor, the less turbo lag to get launched. What do you think?

Unchained
11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
ricks jet is running with the twin turbos, but i think hes having tuning issues as he still hasnt made a wide open pass yet. Oh yea, i know, the problem hes having is with the header pipes they made are getting the fiberglass too hot so he ordered water jacketed gentry manifolds.
im going back to turbos and im running the 22 ft stryker that i always have run. Im setting it up to run the 1/8 th mile drag also to run with the outboards. I need to turn about 8000 with the small prop to et the boat. That is why my question about the valves. I know i would rather have the titanium valves for the rpm, but didnt know how compatible they were with turbos. I ordered 2 garrett turbos with gentry water jacketed turbine housings like i used to have and electronic waste gate actuators to use with electronic waste gate controller. Will use the water jacketed race aero exhausts. Maybe i should use inconel exhaust and titanium intakes. What do you think about that. I cant afford efi right now and i will probably try that killer c and s aerosol blow thru carb i keep hearing about. They say they have it down with the fuel curves pretty well right now. I have a new aluminum block and not sure which cubic inch i should build to do the job. I need all the response i can get off the line, even if i have to use nitrous, but would rather not use it. My boat is down to 2700 lbs now and i have run it 118 mph gps so far in just over a quarter mile with a 28 bravo one prop at 7500 rpms. I was thinking the bigger the motor, the less turbo lag to get launched. What do you think?
I wish Rick would have called me. Aluminum heat shields are cheap and easy to make. The thinnest material will do the job fine. I've run it that way for 5 years now and never melted anything.
How is that Bravo drive going to hold up to the turbocharged motor ?
A local guy has the same motor/turbos/efi as I have and he has broke multiple outdrives every year I can remember. Another guy with the same finally went to a # 6 drive.
I've run inconel exh valves for several years and they seem to be holding up good to me but I never have run over 7000 rpm.
Turbo lag is more a function of tuning than anything else.
I have no problem with lag at all.

MACHINEHEAD
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Inconel is really heavy but takes the heat. Ti is really light and takes the heat better

adjones419
12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Titanium on the intake, Inconel on the exhaust.

Placecraft Dragstar
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Titanium on the intake, Inconel on the exhaust.
Good choice!!!

steelcomp
12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Titanium on the intake, Inconel on the exhaust. What he said.

badbug
12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I wish Rick would have called me. Aluminum heat shields are cheap and easy to make. The thinnest material will do the job fine. I've run it that way for 5 years now and never melted anything.
How is that Bravo drive going to hold up to the turbocharged motor ?
A local guy has the same motor/turbos/efi as I have and he has broke multiple outdrives every year I can remember. Another guy with the same finally went to a # 6 drive.
I've run inconel exh valves for several years and they seem to be holding up good to me but I never have run over 7000 rpm.
Turbo lag is more a function of tuning than anything else.
I have no problem with lag at all.
Believe it or not, i ran about 15 drag races in 2 days taking off from slow off plane roll with 300 shot of nitrous with a 720 hp 496. Didnt break a thing. I do however have a lot of heavy duty parts in it, but the upper case , still has the stock aluminum tower. I have broken the drive 3 times in about 6 years. I did run the twin turbo draw thru motor 6 years ago on a 526 cu in deal and the turbo lag was kind of bad. Hoping the blow thru is a lot better.
Another thing, Rick is so loaded that buying a $2000 set of water jacketed exhausts is no big deal at all to him. But since he is also too tight for advice, he tried to save money by building the exhaust himself and they sure look like he built them. Hes no fabricator and he wasted a lot of time and lot of money also. So the gentrys will cosmetically make the engine look so much better.
What do you think about the 509 or the 540 for 8000 rpm? Also, have u heard any good success with the blow thru carbs from c and s?