PDA

View Full Version : Cat Insurance...........

BadKachina
11-28-2007, 08:22 PM
So, I've been really sweating the fact that I needed to find insurance for my boat. I paid cash for it, and I'm not required to insure it, but it bothered me that if something happened to it, or I hit somebody that I would have no protection or compensation.
So I started calling today. Progressive first, because I had my Kachina with them so I thought it would be easy to start there.
After ten minutes of information gathering, the guy says Mach F-26 is on our do not insure list, not to mention they wont insure 500hp............
So the next call is to Allstate, who has my cars and carries boats to my surprise. I actually didn't know they carried boats. Anyhow, we go through the general information gathering process again, and I expected to get the common response, but to my surprise they insured me. They even asked me the motor size (525). No layup, 1k deductable, 707.00 dollars a year.........;)
Big props to Allstate, I can relax a little now, I'm in good hands.........

Jordy
11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Allstate insured my Spectre. I gave them all the info, engine ratings, serial numbers, etc, etc, etc. According to their calculations, it was cheaper to insure the Spectre with 300hp per side than a 38' Cig with 500hp per side, because it was 600hp versus 1000 hp. Nothing like $1100 per year for cat insurance. State Farm insured it for the guy I bought it from and they were in the same ball park.
Wozencraft would be one I'd talk to on my next boat. Devin is a good guy and seems to have some good lines, especially on cat insurance these days.

FUTURE
11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
So I knew I was going to buy a 25 Daytona with 700+ hp. I went over it again & again with the agent. He quoted like 600 a year. So I buy the boat cash get the insurance & a month later the underwriter for allstate rejected my policy. I was so f...ing mad at the agent for being such an idiot. I almost wanted to go to his office to give him shit. The 45 days I was insured I made 2 claims to stick it to them. Done venting just be careful. I knew it was to good to be true.

BadKachina
11-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Wozencraft would be one I'd talk to on my next boat. Devin is a good guy and seems to have some good lines, especially on cat insurance these days.
2800.00 a year is what I was told for a Conquest with a 525.(with a lay-up);) It's second hand though, so I could be wrong. :idea:

grads2112
11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I know I'm going to really regret this but I agree with Jordy:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes: . Check with Wozencraft about insurance and if his quote is way off from what Allstate is quoting you than Allstate doesn't realize what they are insuring. It sounds to be a little on the cheap side for a cat and I'd hate to see them not cover it in the case of an accident.

uLtRADeNniS
11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
My boat is covered through AAA. 19ft cat, 800+hp, over transom headers and No lay up. They even include roadside service on the truck and trailer.
I don't wanna expose my coverage limits or anything on a public online thread but I will say that I am pleased. Not one of those too good to be true prices but I'm happy.

BadKachina
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
I know I'm going to really regret this but I agree with Jordy:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes: . Check with Wozencraft about insurance and if his quote is way off from what Allstate is quoting you than Allstate doesn't realize what they are insuring. It sounds to be a little on the cheap side for a cat and I'd hate to see them not cover it in the case of an accident.
You could be right, I'll ask more questions. They did have the manufacturer and the model in the computer. I was straight foward on the model. My credit score is around 800. No lien holder, higher deductable, stored in my garage, stated value, I own two boats, boating safety class, and I've never filed a claim with them. Maybe those things that they asked about made a difference? I'm not sure. I hope it's not too good to be true. Hell my Kachina was less than 500 a year.

Havasu1986
11-28-2007, 08:59 PM
I thought the hot tip was to never cancel your insurance from boat to boat so there wasn't a lapse in insurance. :confused:

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
So, I've been really sweating the fact that I needed to find insurance for my boat. I paid cash for it, and I'm not required to insure it, but it bothered me that if something happened to it, or I hit somebody that I would have no protection or compensation.
So I started calling today. Progressive first, because I had my Kachina with them so I thought it would be easy to start there.
After ten minutes of information gathering, the guy says Mach F-26 is on our do not insure list, not to mention they wont insure 500hp............
So the next call is to Allstate, who has my cars and carries boats to my surprise. I actually didn't know they carried boats. Anyhow, we go through the general information gathering process again, and I expected to get the common response, but to my surprise they insured me. They even asked me the motor size (525). No layup, 1k deductable, 707.00 dollars a year.........;)
Big props to Allstate, I can relax a little now, I'm in good hands.........
they insured me also, until the underwriter got ahold of it.
i went up, down, sideways thru the allstate chain,
Final answer. No way would we insure a cat.
You may really want to check into this a little harder and express your concern.
Hell you own the boat, that is alot of cash to lose.
That is why I insure with markel, I can not afford to lose 150K cash...

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
i went down...
Guess they didn't know who they were dealing with, huh??? :idea:

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:19 PM
So you've got the boat, the truck and what else insured for that $150K??? :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:22 PM
So you've got the boat, the truck and what else insured for that $150K??? :D :D :D
Dont spread yourself to thin.........
Oh wait like that could ever happen:D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Just because you took a bath on a dolphin! Dont be mad at me.

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Dont spread yourself to thin.........
Oh wait like that could ever happen:D
Just because you took a bath on a dolphin! Dont be mad at me.
Wow, you quoted it twice and that's the best you could come up with on a mulligan??? Very weak. I'm actually kind of disappointed. I figured you'd at least suggest that you had the thru hull exhaust insured for an extra $50K or so... Man, you've gotten boring in your old age. :notam: :D

No Name
11-28-2007, 10:46 PM
150K? Did you buy a new boat?
CongratsÂ…..post up some pics.:D

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:47 PM
HA HA HA!!!
Oh, and does DCB RACING really count as a cat??? Isn't it more of a tri-hull??? :idea:

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Even the BILGE IDIOT could not photo chop a pic this gay
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066DSC00516.jpg

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
HA HA HA!!!
Oh, and does DCB RACING really count as a cat??? Isn't it more of a tri-hull??? :idea:
Still hands Spectre's their ass......OUCH:eek:

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Still hands Spectre's their ass......OUCH:eek:
In what??? Apparently you didn't see the F-32 versus the 32' Spectre. Power to power, I seem to recall Scott Conrad and the Spectre being about 12 mph faster than the DCLB. :notam:

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:54 PM
In what??? Apparently you didn't see the F-32 versus the 32' Spectre. Power to power, I seem to recall Scott Conrad and the Spectre being about 12 mph faster than the DCLB. :notam:
Oh you must be reading ***boat magazine.....
THE TRUTH IN ALL MAGAZINES ABOVE ALL REST
they would never fudge a number:jawdrop: :idea: :)

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Even the BILGE IDIOT could not photo chop a pic this gay
Red light. Green light... :notam:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44088&stc=1&d=1196319240
At least they let you off the desk for the gay oriental olympics. Figured you could relate, right??? :D :D :D
It's fun to stay at the YMCA!!! :)

No Name
11-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I wish I could stay up for this but I have to be in bed by 12:00. I'll check back in the morning.:D
Goodnight guys.:)

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Oh you must be reading ***boat magazine.....
THE TRUTH IN ALL MAGAZINES ABOVE ALL REST
they would never fudge a number:jawdrop: :idea: :)
Whatever you say BOAT GOD!!! I guess between that 21' Shockwave and the 26' DCLB, you're now an expert. ;)
Oh, and I believe it was Powerboat. I'm sure they fudged the numbers to help out an East Coast builder. Wait, Spectre cats are being taken care of by Scott Conrad on the West Coast now. Hmmm... wonder how that works. Where is the bias??? :idea:
I know, maybe they raced to CATALINA!!!! :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Red light. Green light... :notam:
At least they let you off the desk for the gay oriental olympics. Figured you could relate, right??? :D :D :D
It's fun to stay at the YMCA!!! :)
I'll give you that one,
THAT WAS GOOD...
But damn saving pics of men in uniform
THAT SCREAMS GAY

Jordy
11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
But damn saving pics of men in uniform
Men? I only see one person which would make it a man... perhaps. :idea: :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Whatever you say BOAT GOD!!! I guess between that 21' Shockwave and the 26' DCLB, you're now an expert. ;)
Oh, and I believe it was Powerboat. I'm sure they fudged the numbers to help out an East Coast builder. Wait, Spectre cats are being taken care of by Scott Conrad on the West Coast now. Hmmm... wonder how that works. Where is the bias??? :idea:
I know, maybe they raced to CATALINA!!!! :D :D :D
I was trained by PROFESSIONALS,
So yes I am GOD.....
how soon we forget.....
Are you staring a west coast east coast thing UP IN HERE
damn now some fools are gonna get smoked behind this shit

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:01 PM
I wish I could stay up for this but I have to be in bed by 12:00. I'll check back in the morning.:D
Goodnight guys.:)
Damn! I here her from here
GET YOUR ASS IN BED, I OWN YOU NOW MARK

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I was trained by PROFESSIONALS,
Professional what? Reed tenders??? :idea:
So yes I am GOD.....
of what???
how soon we forget.....
Some of us don't forget that easy, Mr. "Thru hull exhaust will add 5 mph." :notam:
Are you staring a west coast east coast thing UP IN HERE
Sure, why not. Let's see, Skater, MTI, Doug Wright, Cigarette, Nor-Tech... v. DCLB RACING???
damn now some fools are gonna get smoked behind this shit
Yeah, they're built on the Left Coast. Aside from that Spectre that will hand your DCLB it's training wheel ass all day long. Then again, it is somewhat of an East Coast boat, with some West Coast tuning. :D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Professional what? Reed tenders??? :idea:
of what???
Some of us don't forget that easy, Mr. "Thru hull exhaust will add 5 mph." :notam:
Sue, why not. Let's see, Skater, MTI, Doug Wright, Cigarette, Nor-Tech... v. DCLB RACING???
Yeah, they're built on the Left Coast. Aside from that Spectre that will hand your DCLB it's training wheel ass all day long. Then again, it is somewhat of an East Coast boat, with some West Coast tuning. :D
I CAN SEE YOU ARE BACK ON SERIOUS AGAIN...
OK I WILL QUIT! and you talk about Frenchie
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/jody_and_dog.JPG

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:12 PM
and you talk about Frenchie
Where have I talked about Frenchie??? You're just making shit up as you go now... BORING. :notam:
For someone who is the biggest DCLB cheerleader with the least amount of investment (BTW, if it is really insured for $150K, I'd sink that turd right now and get the check), you sure seem to be rockin' out in this boat with no training wheels. Are you qualified to be in that type of boat??? :idea:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44092&stc=1&d=1196320492

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
P.S. Love the show. :notam:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44093&stc=1&d=1196320781

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Where have I talked about Frenchie??? You're just making shit up as you go now... BORING. :notam:
For someone who is the biggest DCLB cheerleader with the least amount of investment (BTW, if it is really insured for $150K, I'd sink that turd right now and get the check), you sure seem to be rockin' out in this boat with no training wheels. Are you qualified to be in that type of boat??? :idea:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44092&stc=1&d=1196320492
THAT RIGHT THERE IS THE conqueror on his conquest AND NO , I DO NOT MEAN NO NAMES NEW BRIDE
and no i will no commit a crime, its still after THREE seasons worth 125k,not too bad in my book

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
And yes, that's what a non-desk surfing motor looks like. ;) :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44094&stc=1&d=1196320876
Man, the look of disappointment on your face is almost too much... OK, not really. Don't worry, you'll get off the desk and out of the crosswalk one of these days. :D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
And yes, that's what a non-desk surfing motor looks like. ;) :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44094&stc=1&d=1196320876
Man, the look of disappointment on your face is almost too much... OK, not really. Don't worry, you'll get off the desk and out of the crosswalk one of these days. :D
Jordy! I expect alot more out of you, That is so low it is almost at Alison's level. Pick yourself up out of the trash and get your game face back on.....
AMAZING I DO NOT GIVE THE BOARDS ANY AMMO AND THEY RESORT TO YEARS OF THE PAST.......

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:25 PM
its still after THREE seasons worth 125k,not too bad in my book
I'd sure like some of what you're smoking. You really think that lake boat is worth that??? Shit, there's an '06 Magic 30' deckboat with twin 496's that was retailed in the $250K range for sale for $130K right now. You'd be lucky to get $100K for your boat in this market. You really have been drinking the kool-aid. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night. :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44095&stc=1&d=1196321117
$130K??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! :notam:

Jordy
11-28-2007, 11:27 PM
AMAZING I DO NOT GIVE THE BOARDS ANY AMMO AND THEY RESORT TO YEARS OF THE PAST.......
You're digging up shit from 5+ years ago in parker and you're talking about me??? You're seriously delusional Mygurl. :notam:
p.s. If you can find someone to give you $130K for your billet slug, SELL, SELL, SELL!!!

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd sure like some of what you're smoking. You really think that lake boat is worth that??? Shit, there's an '06 Magic 30' deckboat with twin 496's that was retailed in the $250K range for sale for $130K right now. You'd be lucky to get $100K for your boat in this market. You really have been drinking the kool-aid. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night. :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44095&stc=1&d=1196321117
$130K??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! :notam:
I am seriously pissed off
FOCK YOU AZZHOLE
How dare you photochop me touching Topless,
now the gloves are coming off:D

Kilrtoy
11-28-2007, 11:31 PM
You're digging up shit from 5+ years ago in parker and you're talking about me??? You're seriously delusional Mygurl. :notam:
p.s. If you can find someone to give you $130K for your billet slug, SELL, SELL, SELL!!!
TELL YOU WHAT
PACK UP ANY OUTBOARD 30 specturd...( HINT NONE IN HAVASU WANT A PIECE OF ME, OH WAIT THEY ALL HAVE ALREADY BEEN SHOWN THE show AND LETS FIND OUT ........
slug WILL KNOCK THE SPECTURD THE f*** OUT

BadKachina
11-29-2007, 06:00 AM
F-N thread jackers..............:rolleyes: :)
Back to the insurance, I'm going to sign my papers today. I'll have her get on the phone with whoever is in charge and make sure they cover cats.

squirt'nmyload
11-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Back to the insurance, I'm going to sign my papers today. I'll have her get on the phone with whoever is in charge and make sure they cover cats.
you should've just got a jetboat, that way you wouldn't have to worry about getting insurance! :D :D

40FlatDeck
11-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Wait! This thread was just getting good!:D Good Luck on finding insurance bro.

Magic34
11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I thought the hot tip was to never cancel your insurance from boat to boat so there wasn't a lapse in insurance. :confused:
I tried that, didn't work.

mbrown2
11-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Great thread....seems like ol'skool ***boat..:)
BTW...If I got a quote for sub 1000 insurance from a questionable Cat carrier who has maybe not completely signed off on it yet, I would definitely not bring it up here as a number of the underwriters browse here...:)

Magic34
11-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't do that. I would send a side picture of the boat, a straight on rear shot to show the "tri-hull" and motor and cockpit shots. Then print out the information that you gave them with the exact pictures submitted and put it in a file for you and just stay quiet.
This way, if you ever have a claim and they deny it, you have proof that you did not hide anything of what the boat was.
If you have to go to court over it in case there was an issue (sunk boat and they deny claim because it was a cat), a jury will very much side on you with everything that had been submitted.

Jbb
11-29-2007, 08:54 AM
LMAO....:D

Dave C
11-29-2007, 08:58 AM
somewhere in your policy will be written a provision for the number of days they can cancel without cause with a full refund. (Probably like 45 days +/-)
check out how many days and keep your fingers crossed and keep Wozencraft's phone # handy.... ;)
I agree with Magic34, submit all info to them so they can't pull the misrepresentation card on you.

Jordy
11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
LMAO....:D
This was pretty good too:

Magic34
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I agree with Magic34, submit all info to them so they can't pull the misrepresentation card on you.
For the last 6 months I had my 34' I had it written with a company after switching over everything (house, cars, toys, life, umbrella) and the boat was $1300/year. You bet your azz I sent them about 10 pictures of the boat including the rear shot (show hull design) and side shot, motors, cabin, everything and put that in a file for myself as well. This way if something came up, I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they had a full understanding of what they were insuring.

drejustice
11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
For the last 6 months I had my 34' I had it written with a company after switching over everything (house, cars, toys, life, umbrella) and the boat was $1300/year. You bet your azz I sent them about 10 pictures of the boat including the rear shot (show hull design) and side shot, motors, cabin, everything and put that in a file for myself as well. This way if something came up, I could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they had a full understanding of what they were insuring.
Would you send a front on shot which would obviously show the tunnel?
I had my 26 shadow with Statefarm with photos, etc, and they were fine as long as i didn't go over 500hp or 70 mph. As I just bumped to a 525 I had to go with Markel which was reasonable with their new 26ft and under and under 120 mph program.
I used. David Barbee @ Elton Porter Insurance Agency
Office: 800-759-2628 Ext. 203

Magic34
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Would you send a front on shot which would obviously show the tunnel?
No, that is what the rear shot is for. Let's face it, these boats are not Skaters but they are confused to be like one with the front of them. Even though on many of these boats, the center sponson is even deeper than the 2 outer ones.
By showing the rear of the boat and the front, a person underwriting the boat should be able to know exactly what it is. If they dont and write you for a smokin cheap policy after submitting the photos, great for you. Any trained professional that is underwriting should know whtat they are insuring. If not, you can prove you didn't hide anything if need be.
Also, many of these so called "cats" these days perform no differently than a V with the same power in terms of speed, but I feel safer in a cat than a V of the same size for overall stability.
For instance, take a Magic 28 deckboat and a Sleek 28 Enforcer with the same power, call it a 406 HO. The speeds will be much closer than you think, within 5 MPH of eachother.

40FlatDeck
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't do that. I would send a side picture of the boat, a straight on rear shot to show the "tri-hull" and motor and cockpit shots. Then print out the information that you gave them with the exact pictures submitted and put it in a file for you and just stay quiet.
This way, if you ever have a claim and they deny it, you have proof that you did not hide anything of what the boat was.
If you have to go to court over it in case there was an issue (sunk boat and they deny claim because it was a cat), a jury will very much side on you with everything that had been submitted.
"Tri hull" :sqeyes: :D

hkunz
11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Boat US insured our Cheetah tunnel, knowing full well what it was, but when they saw pictures of the X-Flight, they turned it down for having sponsons like a cat, even though i showed them it wasn't a cat. State Farm covered us fine, got the agent's name and number from Advantage. Does your manufacturerer have insurance company connections?

Magic34
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
"Tri hull" :sqeyes: :D
Yeah, you know... Boats that dont ride nose up so you can see any water hazards ahead of you. :D

40FlatDeck
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, you know... Boats that dont ride nose up so you can see any water hazards ahead of you. :D
Like............................the sailboat you almost ran over?:D

boatnam2
11-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I think sometimes you have to think to yourself,man everyone is paying 2k or more... cant have more then 500hp and layup's but you get cheap insurance with a 525 with no layup you either got to say to yourself your insurance guy is really smart .or bullshittting or bullshitting.I will take the last 2.

BadKachina
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I clarified the policy with them today, they said they had it as a catamaran and had the model number in their system. She said I will know in 24 hours if the underwriter finds any problems with it.
I think I will give her some pics like it was mentioned. That way not only will I have proof, but then there will be no questions about the equipment on board either in case of theft or total loss.

Magic34
11-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Like............................the sailboat you almost ran over?:D
Different, it was dark. :D

Kilrtoy
11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I clarified the policy with them today, they said they had it as a catamaran and had the model number in their system. She said I will know in 24 hours if the underwriter finds any problems with it.
I think I will give her some pics like it was mentioned. That way not only will I have proof, but then there will be no questions about the equipment on board either in case of theft or total loss.
This time tommorrow we might just hear a whole new tune......
For your sake hopefully not

blown65
11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
We did the same thing with our Cat. (They quit accepting cats right after ours too.) sub 1000 a yr for a twin 496 cat. :)

BadKachina
11-29-2007, 04:56 PM
This time tommorrow we might just hear a whole new tune......
For your sake hopefully not
It's not the end of the world. I'll insure it somewhere. Honestly my policy at my shop would probably cover it as I'm covered to work on boats in or out of my shop anywhere in Az. I would just hate to make a claim on my policy and have them cancel me or raise my rates through the roof.

UltraKrysta
12-02-2007, 11:01 AM
My boat is covered through AAA. 19ft cat, 800+hp, over transom headers and No lay up. They even include roadside service on the truck and trailer.
I don't wanna expose my coverage limits or anything on a public online thread but I will say that I am pleased. Not one of those too good to be true prices but I'm happy.
Dennis, you baller.