PDA

View Full Version : Car trouble shooting Q.

YeLLowBoaT
11-29-2007, 01:48 AM
I've got a 84 ford bronco with a 351W 2 barrel, CA emission.
The past 2 days its been stalling out/ missing really bad at idle only when its cold, but not cold enough for the fast idle motor to kick in.( read that is if you stop some where for 20 mins and come back out) I'm getting fuel ( 5 psi and new filter) and spark as far as I can tell, as I can't get it to do it for the life of me while I'm trying to test it. It feels like what happends when you run out of gas. ( once again for the life of me I can't get it to do it when I want it too) I thought it might have been some bad gas( had to buy some at one of those crapy, run down, no name, liquor stores that just happend to have a gas pump) so I drained the tank and put a fresh filter, no joy.
Once it gets up to temp its fine, just seems like from 150-180 I have this prob.
Any one have any ideas?
Any ideas?

Rexone
11-29-2007, 02:53 AM
If it only does it when cold check the choke and make sure its functioning properly.

thatguy
11-29-2007, 03:05 AM
What Mike said.
At that age I would say your exhaust cross over in the intake manifold is possibly plugged. Not allowing the choke lever to work correctly. Once it finally gets warm the choke is disengaging.
Tommy

YeLLowBoaT
11-29-2007, 03:29 AM
I'll check it when its day light. The choke is electric thats hooked up to ECU, as is every thing else it seems. God I would kill for a new truck that had points a 4 barrel.
this is one of those older carbs with the electronic controls on it, which does not help.

haysonj
11-29-2007, 05:20 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7027trk14-med.JPG Buy a Chevy

DelawareDave
11-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Check the MAP sensor. I had a similar problem with a Ford P-up, and that was the problem. It could also be a temp sensor.

Devilman
11-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Check the MAP sensor. I had a similar problem with a Ford P-up, and that was the problem. It could also be a temp sensor.
I have heard that before, a friend of mine was telling me the earlier fuel-injected Fords were pretty tempermental about the missing/crappy idle & that the MAP sensor was to blame a lot of the time.
My old work truck ('86 Ford 302) does the same thing, but I've never taken the time to find the MAP sensor to replace it. Once its off idle, it runs fine, so I just drive it, lol.....

bigriverdog
11-29-2007, 06:36 AM
I am pretty sure that sounds like the choke pull-off. There is a vacuum operated pull-off on the side of the carb that opens the butterflies just enough so the motor gets some air and doesn't die. Check to set if it is holding vacuum and opens the choke slightly.

YeLLowBoaT
11-29-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7027trk14-med.JPG Buy a Chevy
oh you mean so I can have the power steering pump braket brake and throw the pump into the timing cover ,sheer off the timing cover and crack the water pump... then go to the junkyard to get a braket and they are all cracked where mine broke... finaly go to GM and get the part... it gained 7 lbs of metal... wonder why.
Or buy a new silverado and have it eat 4 head gaskets in 7k miles... new motor after the 2nd time... trany went out at 16k miles...
yeah I'll buy a chevy
checked the choke it works just fine. Its has a carb and a fender mounted map sensor. Guess I'll start checking the temp sensors and get out the vac gauge/ pump.

YeLLowBoaT
11-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Found it. vaccum leak in the main vaccum trunk... 50 cents in hose fixed the prob. :D