PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Castle Rock Cut EA

Mardonzi
11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Well folks, it didn't take long for the enviro-weenies to start chiming in with thier .02 worth on the proposed deepening of the Castle Rock Cut.
Steve Ingebretsen with the Glen Canyon Institute has started a email campaign to stop the proposed depthening of the Castle Rock cut at Lake Powell that is proposed to start next spring. To keep it brief, what this does is cuts approximately 12 miles off of the trip uplake through what is called the Narrows.
Mr Ingebretsen of course is using all the politically correct buzz phrases to support his organizations position such as the dredging will generate greenhouse gases, cause 25,000 dumptrucks worth of soil for disposal, etc. What he fails to mention is the fact that by cutting off approximately one hour of travel time uplake (his estimate, not mine) the generation of fossil fuel emissions from boat motors will be substantially DECREASED, therefore making the expansion of the channel an enviromental asset.
For those of us that don't want to banter with the political BS back and forth and just care about boating, this means that you will be able to head uplake without getting beat to shit in a smaller boat as well as save some serious coin on fuel.
Below is the link for public comments to the National Park Service. Please take a second and send them some positive feedback. Most of us that have dealt with public access issues before know that the opposition is pretty well organized and for the most part, doesn't have a clue about the area being impacted as well as the issues. They just see a cute newsletter and send comments and money.
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?parkID=62&projectID=20386&documentId=21055
Below is the letter sent by the Glen Canyon Institute opposing the cut expansion along with a copy of their sample letter. I think we as a boating community can do better.
Help us stop the deepening of Castle Rock Cut
Dear Shanna,
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area has proposed a destructive excavation to deepen Castle Rock Cut boat channel. With your help, we can stop this project. Send your comments to the National Park Service by December 4th!
Project Summary
The National Park Service (NPS) is beginning an environmental assessment (EA) of the impacts of deepening the "Castle Rock Cut" in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (GCNRA). Castle Rock Cut is a half-mile long, 80-foot wide short-cut boat channel carved out of the Glen Canyon sandstone. The channel saves an hour of travel time for boaters traveling from Wahweap Marina to areas up-reservoir.
Castle Rock Cut channel was originally excavated in the 1970s, but was deepened by 8 feet in 1992. This created a usable channel when water levels are above 3,620 feet. Since the late 1990s, however, the reservoir has been shrinking. As a result, the Castle Rock Cut channel has not been usable since 2003. Today the level of Lake Powell reservoir is only 3,600 feet and the channel is currently dry. In response to pressure from boating interests, the NPS is proposing to excavate Castle Rock Cut channel another 15 feet so it will be usable at current water levels. This would require using heavy equipment to excavate 250,000 cubic yards of sediment and sandstone - enough to fill 25,000 dump trucks. The NPS has not announced an official budget, but the cost would be significant.
Glen Canyon Institute strongly opposes the Castle Rock Cut deepening project because:
· it is not needed, since the number of boaters is decreasing, and an alternative route is available;
· Castle Rock Cut will likely be unusable once again as Lake Powell reservoir continues to decline;
· the excavation of large quantities of sandstone and sediment would cause ecological damage, pollution, and emission of CO2, which contributes to global warming;
· the project would degrade scenic and recreational values by leaving an artificial channel and huge rubble pile;
· it would take significant amounts of taxpayer dollars away from other higher priorities, such as restoration and protection of the backcountry; and
· it violates the National Park Service mandate to leave our parks "unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."
Glen Canyon Institute believes that the scope and potential impact of the project requires a full environmental impact statement (EIS) instead of a simple EA. This proposal is a perfect illustration of why GCI is working to upgrade Glen Canyon National Recreation Area to a National Park, giving the area the full protection it needs.
What You Can Do
Glen Canyon Institute urges you to speak out against this costly, destructive, and shortsighted project. We recommend supporting Alternative 1, the "No-Action Alternative," under which the proposed project would not take place and the Castle Rock Cut channel would not be further deepened.
All comments must be received by December 4, 2007.
You can submit your comments:
· by mail at: Castle Rock Cut EA, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, P.O. Box 1507, Page, AZ 86040
· or on the National Park Service website
To learn more about the proposal and what you can do, visit GCI's website at http://www.glencanyon.org/ or call us at (801) 363-4450.
Sample Letter
Castle Rock Cut EA
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
P.O. Box 1507
Page, AZ 86040
To whom it may concern:
I am writing to comment on the public scoping for the proposed Castle Rock Cut environmental assessment. I oppose this project, and urge the National Park Service to choose Alternative 1, the No-Action Alternative. The proposed project would permanently damage Glen Canyon National Recreation Area for the convenience of one group of recreationists, boaters using Lake Powell reservoir. Glen Canyon NRA belongs to all Americans and should be protected for future generations.
There are a number of reasons why I am against the proposed Castle Rock Cut.
· The Castle Rock Cut is not needed, because the number of boaters is decreasing as Lake Powell reservoir declines and gas prices increase, and because there is an alternative route available to boaters.
· This is only a short-term solution, because as Lake Powell reservoir continues to decline, the Castle Rock Cut will likely be unusable once again in the near future.
· The Castle Rock Cut project would cause significant environmental damage, due to the excavation of large amounts of rock and sediment and the use of heavy equipment that would cause pollution and contribute to global warming.
· The project would scar the natural landscape, which would degrade the scenic and recreational values of the area for the public.
· This project would waste large amounts of taxpayer dollars, taking resources away from the protection and restoration of the backcountry as Lake Powell reservoir recedes, and from other needed boating-related maintenance work.
· The project violates the mandate of the National Park Service to leave our parks "unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."
Again, I urge the National Park Service to reject the proposed Castle Rock Cut deepening project, and to select Alternative 1, the No-Action Alternative. I also encourage the National Park Service to prepare a full environmental impact statement (EIS) on this large and disruptive project.
Thank you for the opportunity to comment. Please keep me informed of any future actions, information, or opportunities to comment on the project.
Sincerely,
[Your Name]
[Your Address]
Thank you again for supporting Glen Canyon Institute and our goal of restoring Glen Canyon! We hope you take a moment to tell the NPS how you feel about the Castle Rock Cut proposal today.
Best regards,
Richard Ingebretsen
President
Glen Canyon Institute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
email: info@glencanyon.org
phone: 801.363.4450
web: http://www.glencanyon.org
Forward email
This email was sent to shanna_aramark@yahoo.com, by info@glencanyon.org
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Email Marketing by
Glen Canyon Institute | 1520 Sunnydale Lane | Salt Lake City | UT | 84108

AzLakeLizard
11-29-2007, 08:59 AM
:mad: Dick weeds.. :mad:
I put my letter in for PRO CUT!

Magic34
11-29-2007, 09:40 AM
"· the excavation of large quantities of sandstone and sediment would cause ecological damage, pollution, and emission of CO2, which contributes to global warming;"
That guy is a fockin idiot. I am sure this guy claims to be educated and that is what he came up with?
Let's see, the emissions of digging the cut OR thousnds of boats operating for an extra 24 miles (12 miles each way) each week at Powell over the summer.

AzLakeLizard
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
"· the excavation of large quantities of sandstone and sediment would cause ecological damage, pollution, and emission of CO2, which contributes to global warming;"
That guy is a fockin idiot. I am sure this guy claims to be educated and that is what he came up with?
Let's see, the emissions of digging the cut OR thousnds of boats operating for an extra 24 miles (12 miles each way) each week at Powell over the summer.
Pretty amazingly stupid logic don't ya think?:rolleyes:

Mardonzi
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Sad thing is, people will listen to him. That's why we need to send in our comments to trump the misinformation that this bonehead is sending out.

AzLakeLizard
11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Sad thing is, people will listen to him. That's why we need to send in our comments to trump the misinformation that this bonehead is sending out.
We, as BOATING PEOPLE need to stick together whether or not this is the LAKE you frequent!...
Lets let them know that we support the deepening of the Cut!
(fewer small boats will be swamped by the tour boat, gas money and time will be saved!):)

NuckinFutz
11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
My comments are on there way. I say right now a little global warming would be a good thing, I'd get the boat out, head to Powell and try the new cut.

Instigators
11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
I submitted mine. I haven't been to Powell for a couple of years now because the cut was closed. I think the Pros far outway the Cons. Just my .02. Here's the Proposition and link from the National Park Service Website.
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?parkID=62&projectId=20386
Public Scoping Notice for Proposed Project to the Deepen Castle Rock Cut
Description: The Public Scoping Period is currently open for the proposed project. All comments must be received by Dec 4, 2007. You can view the Public Scoping Brochure, which provides project information and a map by clicking on bulleted item below.
Date Document Posted: 11/02/2007
Comment Period: 11/02/2007 - 12/04/2007
Glen Canyon NRA
Deepen Castle Rock Cut
Glen Canyon NRA is proposing to deepen an area referred to locally as the Castle Rock Cut. The Castle Rock Cut was first excavated in the early 1970's before the lake level rose to full pool level (3700 ft elevation). It was again excavated in the 1990's to remove built up sediments. When operational, the cut saves about 12 miles of travel and more than a one hour's transit time to locations uplake for visitors, concessioner and park maintenance and visitor protection staff. The cut is currently unusable due to low water levels caused in part to an ongoing drought. This project proposes to deepen the existing cut by about 14 feet, which would allow boat operators to use it when the water level is above 3600 feet in elevation. An Environmental Assessment will be completed for this project and public scoping is your first opportunity to provide us with constructive input on our proposal. The public scoping period is currently open and will run through December 4, 2007. You can access the public scoping brochure by clicking either the list of documents link or the open for public comment link at the left of this page.
Contact Information
Kevin Schneider, Public Affairs Office, P.O. Box 1507, Page, AZ 86040.

AzLakeLizard
11-30-2007, 06:57 AM
;) bump
I submitted mine. I haven't been to Powell for a couple of years now because the cut was closed. I think the Pros far outway the Cons. Just my .02. Here's the Proposition and link from the National Park Service Website.
http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?parkID=62&projectId=20386
Public Scoping Notice for Proposed Project to the Deepen Castle Rock Cut
Description: The Public Scoping Period is currently open for the proposed project. All comments must be received by Dec 4, 2007. You can view the Public Scoping Brochure, which provides project information and a map by clicking on bulleted item below.
Date Document Posted: 11/02/2007
Comment Period: 11/02/2007 - 12/04/2007
Glen Canyon NRA
Deepen Castle Rock Cut
Glen Canyon NRA is proposing to deepen an area referred to locally as the Castle Rock Cut. The Castle Rock Cut was first excavated in the early 1970's before the lake level rose to full pool level (3700 ft elevation). It was again excavated in the 1990's to remove built up sediments. When operational, the cut saves about 12 miles of travel and more than a one hour's transit time to locations uplake for visitors, concessioner and park maintenance and visitor protection staff. The cut is currently unusable due to low water levels caused in part to an ongoing drought. This project proposes to deepen the existing cut by about 14 feet, which would allow boat operators to use it when the water level is above 3600 feet in elevation. An Environmental Assessment will be completed for this project and public scoping is your first opportunity to provide us with constructive input on our proposal. The public scoping period is currently open and will run through December 4, 2007. You can access the public scoping brochure by clicking either the list of documents link or the open for public comment link at the left of this page.
Contact Information
Kevin Schneider, Public Affairs Office, P.O. Box 1507, Page, AZ 86040.

widowmaker
11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
The sad thing is that they get all the attention because they make
it sound like they are doing the right thing to people that know nothing about the lake.
I've been going to lake powell for 25 years and these people don't have a F*cking clue. It's like because they can't or don't have the means to go and enjoy lake powell they think that nobody else should either.
I bet they would change their tone if someone took them out on a houseboat and partied for a week and waterskiied every day!

AzLakeLizard
11-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Bump Again!.. We Only Have Until The 4th To Post Our Positive Feedback For Dredging The Cut!... Help Please!

Classic Daycruiser
11-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I posted and told them 15 feet deeper was not enough. Make it 20 feet deeper. We may never have a drought this bad for hundereds of years. This is our chance to do it one time, and never have to do it again.
It will also make the area around Antelope Point more enjoyable.

AzLakeLizard
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I posted and told them 15 feet deeper was not enough. Make it 20 feet deeper. We may never have a drought this bad for hundereds of years. This is our chance to do it one time, and never have to do it again.
It will also make the area around Antelope Point more enjoyable.
When the water is Low.. the cruise / squeeze through Antelope Marina is pretty scary!.. bring the tour boat through... a few rental houseboats from both marinas.. and toss in a few jet ski's.. makes for an exciting NO WAKE ZONE fiasco...lol:jawdrop:

Debbolas
12-01-2007, 05:28 PM
I still have a pic of the "moon" over the channel ;) ((Grandpa))
I posted my letter Pro Cut!!:D

AzLakeLizard
12-03-2007, 05:01 AM
that was my stand/in double:D
We have until the 4th for this round... Lets keep passing the word!:idea:

AzLakeLizard
12-03-2007, 07:14 PM
ttt
Just trying to get as many Positive posts towards the working on the "CUT"
.. i HOPE people have been posting them on the NPS web site!...
and then we will have a HUGE party up here on Powell..
oh.. thats right we already do.. the POWELLFEST!...lol
Love to have more people join us!:D

ParkerSteve
12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Build desalnization plants along the west coast of the US to feed LA,LV Phoenix and the rest of the overpopulated areas, and let Powell fill up.