PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Insignia or LG plasma?

Boozer
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a new plasma.
I've narrowed my choice down to either the new 42 from LG or the 42" Isignia offered by Best Buy.
According to the people I have talked to at Best Buy the 42" Insignia is last years model LG. I wasn't completely cinfident in what the Best Buy employees told me so I did further research and verified that it is in fact last years LG it even has the XD engine in it.
Anyone own either of these sets? I'd like to get as much feedback as possible. I'm not finding any reasons as of yet to justify the additional $200 for the new model LG over last years model.

UnionJack
11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I have had an LG for over a year and it's great

DeltaSigBoater
11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I have a 32" Insignia 720 HDTV
I like it, had it for a few months now.
Couldn’t beat the price, but I was going for quantity over quality!

Boozer
11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a 32" Insignia 720 HDTV
I like it, had it for a few months now.
Couldn’t beat the price, but I was going for quantity over quality!
How does the LCD do with football? I've heard the LCD's are very laggy.

Jyruiz
11-29-2007, 01:27 PM
The bigger the LCD the more trails you will see when watching fast moving content, specially when it is bright, like sporting events. The LCD manufacturers are trying to get by this by raising the refresh rate to 72hz and 120hz. This years LG panels have better contrast ratios, this means better black levels and better color.

beaverretriever
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
WOW, funny this thread came up. I have a 1 yr old 50" LG that just blew up. At least that is what it sounded like.
We turned it on two nights ago for about 10 minutes and while we were in the kitchen we heard a loud POP! We came to see what happened and we heard sound, but no picture.
Lucky we have warranty. The repair guys are suposed to be out this coming week. Hopfully we will just be given a new one.

Jyruiz
11-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Also, be very careful with what you watch if you go with an LG plasma, they are one of the most susceptible plasmas when it comes to burn in. Lower your contrast and set the orbiter function to on.

DeltaSigBoater
11-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Its good, honestly I quite watching football when USC lost or Oregon :rolleyes:

justfloatn
11-29-2007, 02:27 PM
WOW, funny this thread came up. I have a 1 yr old 50" LG that just blew up. At least that is what it sounded like.
We turned it on two nights ago for about 10 minutes and while we were in the kitchen we heard a loud POP! We came to see what happened and we heard sound, but no picture.
Lucky we have warranty. The repair guys are suposed to be out this coming week. Hopfully we will just be given a new one.
I had a computer that did that. Then it started buzzing. I looked in the case and looked like someone was arc-welding in the power supply. Bright blue arc. Could be all thats wrong with your TV

redi4fun
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Get the 42" Panasonic. Great plamsa TV

dschifan
11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
i have the 42 LG from best buy, love the tv

RVReady
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I have the 42 LG but i bought it from circuit city. Awesome tv with great picture.

3 daytona`s
11-29-2007, 08:21 PM
The bigger the LCD the more trails you will see when watching fast moving content, specially when it is bright, like sporting events. The LCD manufacturers are trying to get by this by raising the refresh rate to 72hz and 120hz. This years LG panels have better contrast ratios, this means better black levels and better color.
want a 32" for a monitor and wonder how much after the holidays prices will drop? Thanks

BlueNun
11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I sell Plasmas and I can say the LG's are good and have a standard 2 year warranty. Insignia???? LG's do have a tendancy to have burnin and so does samsung.. I have the 42" Hitachi Ultravison from last year and it is smoother and more detailed than anything I have seen to date. I would give em a look to. I got mine for $1099 on closeout.

Rocky
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Yea real funny. I have a 50" Zeinith wich is a LG with different badging and it also made the loud pop like a rock hitting your winshield. Well I called LG so they can point me to a repair shop and they put me on hold only to tell me they are to busy to help me and the next thing I here was a dial tone.:devil: I said F-it got online bought a new Samsung 50 for under $1300 from circuit city and if I ever get the old one fixed its going on the wall in the garage:D

Jyruiz
11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
want a 32" for a monitor and wonder how much after the holidays prices will drop? Thanks
No way of telling right now.

Ziggy
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Yea real funny. I have a 50" Zeinith wich is a LG with different badging and it also made the loud pop like a rock hitting your winshield. Well I called LG so they can point me to a repair shop and they put me on hold only to tell me they are to busy to help me and the next thing I here was a dial tone.:devil: I said F-it got online bought a new Samsung 50 for under $1300 from circuit city and if I ever get the old one fixed its going on the wall in the garage:D
I bought the Vizio 50" Plasma...been great so far. Under $1300 as well from Circuit City.

pancho
11-29-2007, 09:10 PM
redi4fun i have two of those i bought three years ago and both are still kickin ass,only thing that hurts is the price drop,at the time there was some interesting info about who was actually making the screens and what the rest were selling rebadged,pays to do the research

beaverretriever
11-29-2007, 09:14 PM
You are right, they are exactly the same thing. Mine is the same as the Zenith 50". Lucky I have warranty, and they will probably replace than repair.
Honestly, it doesn't matter how much you spend. We had a Nakamichi that had a beautiful picture, then it blew up too. I didn't have a warranty either.:(

Ziggy
11-29-2007, 09:30 PM
redi4fun i have two of those i bought three years ago and both are still kickin ass,only thing that hurts is the price drop,at the time there was some interesting info about who was actually making the screens and what the rest were selling rebadged,pays to do the research
Kinda like Washing Machines..we just got the new LG front load steam washer and come to find out most other makes have a good percentage of LG parts that are used in them....Maytag had to get a new repairman because now they break down alot

pancho
11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
i`m starting to feel lucky when something lasts two plus years,two repairs on desktop computer in 1 year,laptop is being looked at by manufacturer right now,dvd players might last a year if youre lucky,WTF

MBlaster
11-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Black friday I bought the new Polaroid 42 inch 1080p LCD for 798 at Walmart.:)
Got the DISH HD DVR hooked up today for 149 less a 100 rebate for a total of 49 bucks, and 6 months free HD on a 18 month deal.:D

pancho
11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
ziggy,on a interesting side note i was on a washington state ferry in 1980 headed to port townsend and since the weather was bad figured i could step out to the covered bow section for a peaceful (uuummm)smoke,alas i was not alone,it was the original (actor) maytag repairman and what a crackup he was,i apologized for my smoke and he just laughed and said dont worry about it he smells it every day he`s on the lot during lunch breaks,i know i`m aging myself oh well!i still get a kick out of those pics,when i asked him why he looked familiar his hint was he was the loneliest man in town and i still didn`t figure it out,i think he figured out i was in a casual not really thinking much mode and spilled the beans.We ended up hangin for the rest of the ride and i`ve been a maytag buyer ever since

Cs19
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
42 LG Plasma. love it. HD looks incredible!!

BLEWBAYOU1
11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a 42" Vizio HDTV Plasma I bought at Cosco $1299.00 great TV.

Jyruiz
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
LG has come a long way considering they use to be Goldstar, since changing there name, they have put more R&D into there products.

Boozer
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
LG has come a long way considering they use to be Goldstar, since changing there name, they have put more R&D into there products.
Is Panasonic any better when it comes to burn in? I found a Panasonic that's priced about the same as the LG.

franky
11-30-2007, 05:47 AM
I have a 50" LG Plasma in the bedroom. Beautiful picture.
JRUIZ, you got to come by the house when you are in Havi next. Need help dialing in the systems and training me. I will make it worth it.

justfloatn
11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
i`m starting to feel lucky when something lasts two plus years,two repairs on desktop computer in 1 year,laptop is being looked at by manufacturer right now,dvd players might last a year if youre lucky,WTF
NO SHIOT! I'm with you on this. Two years on computers. Two years on cell phone. 18 months on camera and camcorder. Same brand, CANNON sucks.:mad: WTF. You want to save the planet..make a product that can last four or five years. That's my itch cycle on electronics.

Baja Big Dog
11-30-2007, 07:39 AM
ziggy,on a interesting side note i was on a washington state ferry in 1980 headed to port townsend and since the weather was bad figured i could step out to the covered bow section for a peaceful (uuummm)smoke,alas i was not alone,it was the original (actor) maytag repairman and what a crackup he was,i apologized for my smoke and he just laughed and said dont worry about it he smells it every day he`s on the lot during lunch breaks,i know i`m aging myself oh well!i still get a kick out of those pics,when i asked him why he looked familiar his hint was he was the loneliest man in town and i still didn`t figure it out,i think he figured out i was in a casual not really thinking much mode and spilled the beans.We ended up hangin for the rest of the ride and i`ve been a maytag buyer ever since
Neat story..sadly I think I just heard he died....bummer!:(

Jyruiz
11-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Is Panasonic any better when it comes to burn in? I found a Panasonic that's priced about the same as the LG.
Yes.

Cigalert
11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Based on LG's lack of response to a fridge under warranty (2 months in the middle of summer last year) I will no longer be purchasing anything from them. I called to have them come out the day after the fridge took a dump and they sent someone out immediately. He came out and check out the fridge but I guess his quote was too high so they sent out another repair guy the next week. He must have been also been too high because they sent out yet another repairman 2 weeks later. After his visit I went to the river for a week. When I got home there was a message on my voicemail stating they had someone come out twice when I was gone but nobody was home. Weeks of phone calls and finally finding some myself the problem ended up being a leak in a line that slowly release all the refrigerant out....problem solved for $86. $1200 fridge and a $86 repair and they lost my future business as a result of haggling over a $86 repair. On top of it LG asked for me to send a copy of a grocery receipt for all the food that spoiled and they would cover up to $250. I faxed it twice and emailed a copy. I still run to the mailbox everyday waiting for my check. F LG right in the shitter!

Jyruiz
11-30-2007, 07:57 AM
I have a 50" LG Plasma in the bedroom. Beautiful picture.
JRUIZ, you got to come by the house when you are in Havi next. Need help dialing in the systems and training me. I will make it worth it.
I will be in Havi next weekend, if I have time left after tending to the house chores, I will give you a call. PM your phone number.

pancho
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Baja,i heard that to,shame!it took me about ten minutes to get over the starstruck thing and then it was like chattin with a neighbor over a fence guy was so cool,one of the good ones

catman-do
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
We have a 26" Insignia in our motorhome. The tv itself has been decent. The remote has gone out twice, and we called insignia and they sent new ones both times. Keep in mind Insignia is Best Buys brand of tv, so if you are trying to price match you wont find anyone else selling it.

Redwing247
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
No way of telling right now.
I picked up 32" Samsung for $549 for my son's room at Frys after Thanksgiving. Use it for tv and monitor.