PDA

View Full Version : need more ignition help

Brendella
10-03-2002, 07:53 PM
I installed the petronox ignitor today. Had to buy a four prong ballast just to be safe. i assume that because The kit illistrated an ignition wire to one connection, then the red wire to another connection, then the black wire on another connection. I did this because I did not want to ruin the ignition by joining the ign. wire to the red wire from the distr. on one side of a 2 prong ballast. next thing is I have a wire that says tach or starter that is connected to the coil pos.
The problem is she wants to start but when I let off the key she dies.
Here are the real questions what is the proper way to wire up the distributor and tack with a petronix ignitor in a ford mallory distibutor.
Second question if the key ignition is bad will this prevent the motor from starting.
p.s. when trying to start the key ign. sticks and keeps turning over the motor.
any tech. help greatly appreciated
Brendella(Brian E.)
sorry for the long post. :confused: :confused:

MikeF
10-03-2002, 08:22 PM
I don't know the wires that you have or the way it's supposed to be hooked up but it sounds like you don't have voltage going to the coil after it first starts up.
There should be a jumper wire from the starter "R" to the coil. This one is only for 12v to the coil during startup.
Another wire (12v from the ign switch)(when the key is in it's running position) should have 12v too. This one is attached to your ballast resistor.
Check the positions of those wires and also check out Chris' Liquidaddiction.net site for a wiring diagram.
Hope this helps, Mike :)
[ October 04, 2002, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Brendella
10-04-2002, 07:25 AM
thanks that is how I have it basicly, but the key switch I believe is the problem.
thanks again
brendella

Backtanner
10-04-2002, 09:50 AM
Absolutely,if your ignition switch is bad you'll be dead in the water (or on the ramp). Check your connections there making sure they are in good condition. Just keep it simple. That wiring diagram is awesome (I keep a copy in the boat now).