PDA

View Full Version : Gas saving tips at the pump.

Jyruiz
11-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Don't know if it is true or if will make a difference, but I thought I should share since we all use a lot of fuel here.
TIPS ON PUMPING GAS--GOOD INFO!
I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline....Here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon .
Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
1. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have
their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon .
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this
business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
2. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of
the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less
worth for your money.
3. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY . The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine . Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof .
This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation . Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up-- most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

HM
11-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Those are all good practices in general. Will it make a difference in an individual's pocket book? Perhaps over 10 years.
The best tip is not filling up when gas is being delivered to the station. Especially older stations. I clogged a fuel filter in one fill up. If I see a gas truck at a station, I move on to the next station.

beernut
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
very good tips here thanks for the info, a co-worker of mine said that all the gas stations get gas from the same source,76,shell, and el-cheapo stations, anyone know for sure?,he said there was no differance in quality or additives and its all the same fuel,and he watched trucks from differant co's. pull in right after each other and all got the same stuff...?

jenstar23
11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
very good tips here thanks for the info, a co-worker of mine said that all the gas stations get gas from the same source,76,shell, and el-cheapo stations, anyone know for sure?,he said there was no differance in quality or additives and its all the same fuel,and he watched trucks from differant co's. pull in right after each other and all got the same stuff...?
My dad used to work for ARCO on the corporate side and he said the same thing. All the refineries pretty much have the same refining process going on. It makes me feel better when I fill up with the cheap Costco fuel--hope my dad was right:eek:
Thanks for the tips! I guess I am going to have to get my a** out of bed earlier so I can fill up before work instead of after like I usually do...:sleeping:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-30-2007, 08:48 AM
The part about filling in the early morning works. I do this all the time now, but it has to be early. 8-9 is too late. I usually fill up after I leave the gym at 6. I was gettin 280-300 miles a tank and by doing this, I get 360-380 miles a tank. I figured thats about 10 bucks a week/40 bucks a month. That's pretty significant to me. I usually go to the same station, so gas brand is not a factor. (I get asked that every time I tell someone this strategy)

centerhill condor
11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
we set our tires to 40 psig. installed K&N..both added 'bout 5-7 mpg.
CC

BlueNun
11-30-2007, 09:36 AM
I 2nd the K&N and a little more tire pressure. My 99 Yukon bone stock avg. 15mpg in town. I installed the K&N, Flowmaster, and a more "streetable" tire and jumpedto 19mgp as long as my driving style was in check. I also am a big advocate of the Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner. It will also help with cheap gas.
And CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
Running synthetic oil has many advantages too......cooler running temps, longer engine life, go longer between oil changes, much easier on moving parts.
If you have alot of mileage you don't want to use this as it will find the weakest area to cause a leak and it will too.............plus it will loosen up the motor even more and can cause failure when you really needed to only use regular style oil.
Synthetic is very good though and gave me 1-2 mpg better !! :D

Redwing247
11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
#1 and #2 are correct. :D

pvhca
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Costco fuel is actually from Chevron or has the same aditives as chevron, there are ony 2 or 3 major refineries is so cal, the additives is what makes the differences

ChumpChange
11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
But doesn't your car technically get better gas mileage the lower the tank level? At that point, you'll be hauling around less weight in gas. :D

Spotondl
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Saw a report where one could fill up the tank for about half price...
Squeeze the handle & let go, turn the handle 180 degrees, squeeze and let go, turn the handle 180 degrees, repeat, repeat... ... ... Takes a couple of hours to fill the tank... :D :D :D but you get an extra half cup per cycle.
Saw this on some news investigative report and the accuracy of our gas pumps & lack of Dept. of Weights & Measures enforcement thereto...

boatnam2
11-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Want to save some gas and be able to notice it,drive slower difference between 80 and 65 is huge, slow down when coming to a red light or stop sign(THIS IS FOR THE WOMEN DRIVERS)And ease up to speed to the next red light.I watch people all the time haul ass to a light that is red and then mash the gas when it turns green over and over,usally the same dumasses that complain about milage and shittty brakes wearing out.

Riverdog1
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
The part about filling in the early morning works. I do this all the time now, but it has to be early. 8-9 is too late. I usually fill up after I leave the gym at 6. I was gettin 280-300 miles a tank and by doing this, I get 360-380 miles a tank. I figured thats about 10 bucks a week/40 bucks a month. That's pretty significant to me. I usually go to the same station, so gas brand is not a factor. (I get asked that every time I tell someone this strategy)
I can tell you I went from 16.7 all around mpg in my tahoe to 13.9 from winter to summer or 425 miles to the tank to aroung 365-70 here in Phoenix. Now I know why. Although here in Phoenix in the summer, early in the morning makes no difference because it's 90 + degrees when the sun comes up.

Wheeler
11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
The only fuel I have had a problem with is, Super Fuels in Parker. Super Fuel causes the jeep to idle funny and run bad, no problelm with the other vehicles.

LAFD
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
what if you fill you vehicle up while its riding on a treadmill???

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
The only fuel I have had a problem with is, Super Fuels in Parker. Super Fuel causes the jeep to idle funny and run bad, no problelm with the other vehicles.
Is that the place on the right side just past the 95 turn to the north? If you cross the bridge and go straight rather than turning? We got bad Diesel there last time. But the pump was super slow. We should have known better.

Fastlane
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I tried something that worked well on SAVING:
I opened two holes in my foor board of the truck just between drivers seat and gas pedal. When I stop at a red light, I then stick my legs in the two holes and when the light turns green I start running really fast, pushing the truck.
Saves on gas but bad on my shoes.

LAFD
11-30-2007, 12:52 PM
or buy one of those siphoning pumps and sit by the gas station. watch someone fill up follow them and siphone all there gas. save yourself about 70 bucs.

djunkie
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
It all sounds like a pain in the ass to me just to save a couple bucks on gas. But I guess thats just me. When I need gas I just go get it. I laugh at people that go out of their way to save a few cents per gallon. My time is worth more to me I guess. :rolleyes: :D :D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Ya F*ck that place. I got a bad batch of diesel from them once. Made for a miserable drive home that day. :mad: :mad:

Jyruiz
11-30-2007, 01:03 PM
It all sounds like a pain in the ass to me just to save a couple bucks on gas. But I guess thats just me. When I need gas I just go get it. I laugh at people that go out of their way to save a few cents per gallon. My time is worth more to me I guess. :rolleyes: :D :D
Thats cause you are a BALLER!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-30-2007, 01:06 PM
You beat me to it :D

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
This is no joke here, i went on ebay for gas saving devices and some dude was selling a block of wood (2x4 piece) and you put under your gas pedal.
Well, low and behold some lady won the auction for $31............no kidding !!.....i thought this was so funny and had to show my wife how some some people are gullible..............................true story.
Iv'e got 10 pieces of wood for sale if your ready to save gas ? call today for immediate results!! :D :D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Not caring about saving $5 does not make you a baller. :D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
This is no joke here, i went on ebay for gas saving devices and some dude was selling a block of wood (2x4 piece) and you put under your gas pedal.
Well, low and behold some lady won the auction for $31............no kidding !!.....i thought this was so funny and had to show my wife how some some people are gullible..............................true story.
Iv'e got 10 pieces of wood for sale if your ready to save gas ? call today for immediate results!! :D :D
And I'll bet you want $40 a piece for them too? :rolleyes: :jawdrop: :D :D

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Thank you for your interest and inquiring about this space age technology !!
Now, how many would you like ?
If you buy in pairs, one for the gas pedal and one for the brake pedal, i can save on shipping...........................now if you would like color matched hi-tech blocks ? this is an additional charge.
Just think, you can put one under the gas pedal of your rhino or on top of the pedal so you can reach with ease, plus they come in a assortment of colors, we have pink for you and your buddies !!..........................hehe :D

djunkie
11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your interest and inquiring about this space age technology !!
If you buy in pairs, one for the gas pedal and one for the brake pedal, i can save on shipping...........................now if you would like color matched hi-tech blocks ? this is an additional charge.
Just think, you can put one under the gas pedal of your rhino or on top of the pedal so you can reach with ease, plus they come in a assortment of colors, we have pink for you and your buddies !!..........................hehe :D
You forget that I'm probably a good 3-4 inches taller than you Doug. No need for pedal extensions like that Outcoled guy. :jawdrop: :D
By the way, will it be an extra $20 for Full Throttle to be put on the blocks? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Actually, little billy boy is who i was thinking about and not in a gay manner either !! :D
The "full throttle" logo will be well represented on all blocks, custom bilett, engraved, routered, sticker, embossed, lettered, inset, painted........whatever you like but you get the idea !! :D

Wheeler
11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Is that the place on the right side just past the 95 turn to the north? If you cross the bridge and go straight rather than turning? We got bad Diesel there last time. But the pump was super slow. We should have known better.
Yes Mam! that is the place. Their fuel is two cents cheaper per gallon over Arco, engine problems are included in the price :2purples:

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
dhunkie, where are you ? :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes Mam! that is the place. Their fuel is two cents cheaper per gallon over Arco, engine problems are included in the price :2purples:
I never noticed the price difference, and I usually don't buy ARCO gas anyway, we usually go there because it's easy to get the truck/trailer in and out of the deisel pumps. Not a lot of deisel joints in Parker.
And as far as getting up earlier to save $5, it was $10/week and I'd rather it be in my pocket than the gas station owner's or oil company's pocket.

RiverRatMike
11-30-2007, 04:49 PM
had two fuel sending units in my V10 go bad due to Super Fuels in Parker. Stay away from that place!

franky
11-30-2007, 05:03 PM
A clarification on point #3.
Bulk petroleum storage tanks do have floating roofs so that there is not a large vapor space. The reason for this is to limit the VOC emissions when they fill the tanks. If the tanks did not have a floating roof and the tank was low, that whole void area would be full of vapors. Then, when they fill the tank, the rising liquid would displace the vapors and force them out into the atmosphere (BAD). With the floating roof, the roof (floats on the liquid surface) follows the fluids up and no vapors are displaced. They do have to inventory the VOC emissions (fugitive) which leaks past the seals. This is reported in #/day and they are limited X number of pounds per day of VOC emissions facility wide. If they do what they can to limit emissions on devices when possible, it offsets areas that they can't or have dificulty controlling.

franky
11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Too bad you didn't tell your wife before she had bid on ten of them!:D

Ziggy
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
So the heating of the fuel at the Quartzite gas station story might be true afterall:idea: , according to this info :D
Ok fuel experts, do these gasoline properties apply to diesel fuel also? I may stop using to commercial pumps with the big nozzles if it is...whats an extra 15 minutes fueling time? :D

BigDoug
11-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Damn Franky, how did you know that was her ?.................oh, i get it now, you had your wife bidding on them too....................................cool !! :D

djunkie
12-01-2007, 01:08 AM
dhunkie, where are you ? :D
I do have to work sometimes ya know. :D :D

plaster dave
12-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I tried something that worked well on SAVING:
I opened two holes in my foor board of the truck just between drivers seat and gas pedal. When I stop at a red light, I then stick my legs in the two holes and when the light turns green I start running really fast, pushing the truck.
Saves on gas but bad on my shoes.
So who cut the holes in the floor and what kind of savings do you see????:D

OCMerrill
12-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Not to directly compete with big doug but I am overstocked on Gas Pedal Eggs and are blowing them out at a great price.
We can even custom paint them.
http://www.fiddlelily.com/eggs.jpg
They install between your foot and the pedal. This way you don't push to hard or to fast.
They can be purchased by the dozen in case your learning curve is a little long. This way you won't run low.
I Guarantee at least savings of $1 per year. :D

talkinghead
12-01-2007, 11:18 AM
If a tank was underground - and I imagine it would be at least a few feet under, I don't think the afternoon sun would have that much of an impact (if any) on the ground temperature beyond 2 feet or so...

Fastlane
12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
So who cut the holes in the floor and what kind of savings do you see????:D
This won't work with a truck on 39's!

Fastlane
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
If a tank was underground - and I imagine it would be at least a few feet under, I don't think the afternoon sun would have that much of an impact (if any) on the ground temperature beyond 2 feet or so...
You would be suprised, especially in Los Angeles.

franky
12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Exactly.. UST's are generally 3' min BGS. 8-10" concrete (truck traffic), 6-8" DG, 1-2' of dirt, 1-2' pea gravel, secondary enclosure (double wall tank) ...hard to have that much of a surface temp change effect in a day. IMO

rmarion
12-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Thank you

HighRoller
12-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Hot fuel you say???:idea: :idea: Seems to me I've heard something about this before....You are obviously a deluded nutjob same as I...:D
Every gas pump made after about 2000 has the ability to compensate for temperature. You will never EVER see one with this feature turned on. Many state legislatures and even the US house of Reps are currently investigating this conspiracy theory...