PDA

View Full Version : Water bill in Havasu - Residents

LHC Kirby
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Question for the residents of LHC. Have you had the "new sewer system" added to your house. I have heard bad stories about really high bills:eek: with the new system. Not really sure how conserving water, for the 4 months like the paper said works for the enitre year, since they meter the water.
What about the 2nd water meter option (for irrigation and pool) it would end up costing me about 1700 to install the meter and needed trenching,piping etc....
Anyone have some real numbers ?:confused:
Thanks in advance

RaceFace
11-30-2007, 09:19 PM
My bill went up about $50....from $22 a month off sewer to $72 to $77 a month. I didnt go with the second meter because my place doesn't have a pool and my landscaping is about 12 plants, so it wasnt worth the expense.

BoatPI
12-01-2007, 06:27 AM
The city recently spent another $10G to return my house to septic tank and removed the grinder pump. The city workers tried every BS line that they could give me to convine me to stay on the sewer and pay $60 per month plus the electricity for the pump and NO warranty.
In total I estimate they spent over $30K of OUR tax bond money to remove, replace with pump, then remove the line and pump replacing it with a new septic system again. No one in the city ever took a hit for that grinder pump mess. Like I told them before they informed me that they would shut off my water if I refused to sign off on the pump, SH*T does not flow up hill!
Thirty thousand dollars+ later they agreed.

LHC Kirby
12-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Boat PI . . I remember hearing about those pumps, and thought the same thing.... Sh!t does not flow up hill.....:rolleyes:
RaceFace - at 50 bucks a month increase, is that the "payment deal" for 10 years or actual increase? With only 12 plants, I see your point.
Any other advice from residents - recently on sewer?:idea:
any good/bad plumbers to know about? Thinking of using Craig plumbing ? ?

Not So Fast
12-01-2007, 07:56 AM
They use your useage during the 4 months stated to determine the amount over the "base sewer charge" you will be charged for the rest of the year so its important to conserve during that time! The "base" started out pretty reasonable but has escalated dramatically in the 4 years we have been on sewers, that why residents are pissed, we were told in the beginning a certain amount and it has been raised steadily. The charge for water and trash is fine but the overage + base charge has turned our bill from about $40@mo to about $100. I always turn my irrigation back to minimum at Thanksgiving, from 3 times weekly to once weekly until the first 90 degree temps hit in late spring, but I still exceed the base limit:( As with all government they just want more and more while wages and income are stagnant, bastards:mad: Especially if you are retired! NSF PS just saw your reply and that DOES NOT INCLUDE the $2000 hook-up fee repayment if you financed it. I like Shoreline Plumbing BTW, nice guys and fair, good luck

DesertDog
12-01-2007, 08:01 AM
For me it's been about an 80.00 a month increase,plus the 20.00 a month payments for the hookup fee.So about a extra 100.00 a month going from septic to sewer.
Once your hooked up to sewer,you can tell zero difference from being hooked up to septic.

Ms.Havasu
12-01-2007, 08:03 AM
we have a pool which evaporates an inch a day during the summer. and lots of landscaping front and back which require water 10 minutes for 6 zones (that's 1 hour) twice a day (Thats 2 hours of water running a day.
Our water bill (with trash) went from $80.00 before sewer to $ 250.00 with Sewer and we paid the $2,000 hookup fee when it was installed.
We tried cutting the watering of plants down to 5 minutes twice a day and lost a couple of very expensive plams. Bill only went down 30.00.
We are building a new home on the south side that is already on sewer. We are going with 2 meters rright from the builder. Also going 100% solar power. Shold be able to knock our total utility bills from 700.00 a month to less then 100.00 (Getting ready for retirement and fixed income. I feel sorry for the widows on a fixed budget. I don't know how they can make it.
My advice is:
If you don't have a pool, keep landscaping to rocks and cactus and don't bother with the second meter. If you have a pool, GET THE SECOND METER, it will save you in the long run.
Michele

BoatPI
12-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Cut back you watering for 4 months as mentioned this is the baseline for the remainder of the year.

LHC Kirby
12-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Cut back you watering for 4 months as mentioned this is the baseline for the remainder of the year.
Not firing at you BoatPI... does it not sound backwards to anyone else.... to create a baseline.... as in anything over the base line you will pay more for.... seems like we would use a ton of water now . . . and create a higher base, to stay under the rest of the year? or do I need a second cup of coffee?:confused:

Not So Fast
12-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Not firing at you BoatPI... does it not sound backwards to anyone else.... to create a baseline.... as in anything over the base line you will pay more for.... seems like we would use a ton of water now . . . and create a higher base, to stay under the rest of the year? or do I need a second cup of coffee?:confused:
Maybe this will help, plants do not need as much water in the winter as summer right, and that is usually the biggest demand residents make, plus as Michelle said if you have a pool the evaporation in summer is pretty bad so actual use probably triples in summer time VS winter. So they are being kind :idea::( by giving us this low use period to establish our "base use" fee. Oh yeah, if cutting back on watering, DO NOT shorten the time but instead the number of days, it is better to water deeply than short time periods because the plants need the deeper watering or so I've been told. All I can tell you is that you should use the "Thanksgiving cutback" theory for your timetable to reduce use, hard to forget:D NSF

INSman
12-01-2007, 08:30 AM
we have a pool which evaporates an inch a day during the summer. and lots of landscaping front and back which require water 10 minutes for 6 zones (that's 1 hour) twice a day (Thats 2 hours of water running a day.
Our water bill (with trash) went from $80.00 before sewer to $ 250.00 with Sewer and we paid the $2,000 hookup fee when it was installed.
We tried cutting the watering of plants down to 5 minutes twice a day and lost a couple of very expensive plams. Bill only went down 30.00.
We are building a new home on the south side that is already on sewer. We are going with 2 meters rright from the builder. Also going 100% solar power. Shold be able to knock our total utility bills from 700.00 a month to less then 100.00 (Getting ready for retirement and fixed income. I feel sorry for the widows on a fixed budget. I don't know how they can make it.
My advice is:
If you don't have a pool, keep landscaping to rocks and cactus and don't bother with the second meter. If you have a pool, GET THE SECOND METER, it will save you in the long run.
Michele
So Michele
Do they put the second meter in at the time they are converting you from septic to sewer as we are not on sewer yet ?? Hope you are feeling better :(

Keith E. Sayre
12-01-2007, 08:33 AM
My bill went from $37.62 a month for about 5 years until they installed the
sewer and then it went to about $125.00 per month every month year round.
sounds like the 2nd meter for the pool and yard is probably a wise
investment but wouldn't it be smarter for the city to merely figure out how
much water the average pool consumes in a year and charge for the water
going into it but don't charge the sewer for that amount? Seems alot smarter
than making us all spend $1700 on a 2nd meter, but what do I know?

LHC Kirby
12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Seems alot smarter
than making us all spend $1700 on a 2nd meter, but what do I know?
Your cost could be higher or lower - I have a 90' driveway, and running the new line all the way to the backyard. With an extra hose bid at the driveway for running the boat, washing boats, PWC and cars. no sense in paying the sewer portion for those duties.

BigDoug
12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
When we bought in Havasu 2.5 years ago our bill was in the $30s on septic including w/t
Now we are on sewer and its in the $60s including w/t................plus an additional separate bill of $20 for the hookup of sewer. This is not bad considering filling up our detail trailer tank almost daily 20-30 gallons and a small pool, no plants and 2 adults in the house................i hope i've covered it all for ya !! :D

Warlockjer
12-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Sure glad I live in the gettho. No sewer in our near future. Our bill is around 50 bucks a month and that is watering every day and a pool.

BoatPI
12-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Kirby, NSF explained it well. The entire years monthly fee is set on how much water you use in three months. So cut way back in watering and you may make the minimal monthly billing no matter how much you use in the summer.

topflite
12-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I am only a part timer. 2 weekends a month in the winter when they set the base line. The minimum charge for the pleasure of being on the sewer is $38 month. Last year it was $28/month. So my bill went up $58/month. $38 for monthly sewer and $20/month for financing the hook up.