PDA

View Full Version : Home Poker Games legal or not?

Mandelon
12-01-2007, 08:19 AM
I got elected to host the friendly neighborhood poker game last night and it got me thinking...is this a crime? Anyone know the legalities of it?
We are talking small stakes...$25 buy in. I have read stories about folks getting busted, but maybe those are big stakes games???
Not like its gonna make me worry, I was just curious. I finished up a whole $10 for the night. :D
We started around 8:00 and finished up around midnight. At on point my son (14) watched for a bit and we let him play a couple hands. He being the funny kid he is picks Indian Head poker to play when it was his turn to deal. Too funny to watch us dads all have cards stuck to our foreheads. :rolleyes: :) We played it with one, two and three cards on our head. Junior thought it was great. Its hard to get a good hand when you only get three cards!
Around 11:00, I told the kid it was time for bed. He is diabetic and has to check his blood sugar before hitting the hay. A couple of the other guys had not seen this before. They were fascinated. It was like having BB King right there in the dining room..... :D You need to use a plastic finger pricker device to poke your finger with a little needle and make it give up a drop of blood. The blood is then touched to a testing strip, which is inserted into an electronic monitor and the monitor tells you your blood sugar level.
The finger pricker is a spring loaded thing that you cock back, and then press the trigger. It sends the little needle out the end a millimeter or two and gives your finger a quick lesson in why it really sucks to be diabetic. A quick squeeze and usually a nice drop of blood appears. If not, one must do it again and push a little harder or dial up the device to stab you deeper.
Normal blood sugar is around 100. 80 to 120 is good. My son's level was 160, I think. He'd had a few snacks out of the bowls...M&M's and chips mostly. He uses an insulin pump and quickly corrected his blood sugar level with the push of a couple of buttons on the pump device.
Watching all this take place got the players all curious about our own levels. It wasn't long before we all ante in and are making bets on who has the highest and lowest blood sugar. Hi/Low splits the pot. I take .25 from each to cover the cost of the testing strips. We load it up and then its time to bleed. It was so funny to watch these grown men get all ancy about pressing the trigger and getting the pin.
My son has to do this 5 or 6 times a day. For him to watch these grown ups being all nervous and scared over doing it once, was hilarious.
Now each of us got our own needle dealio, so we aren't swapping Hep C over here. A couple guys didn't do it right and had to pop it again. That was too funny...Again???? they say....yep, we need more blood!
The skinny runner guy was 94, and the guy who needed to drop 30 pounds came in at 172 :sqeyes: .....the rest of us were between 100 and 120.
Oh well, it cost me two bucks to play, but for my kid to watch the grownups wuss around about a little wince from testing was priceless.
Now 172 isn't all that bad, my kid regularly pops up at 300 and 400 hundred, mostly because he is a forgetful 14 year old. When he was first diagnosed he came in at 900. :sqeyes: They put him in the hospital for two days... :( He's had it since he was 9, and its old hat now. Needles and shots?....no big deal.
We got my wife to sit in for a couple hands too. When she won a pot, we made her undo a button on her blouse....this limits her to only a few wins and she has to quit. LOL :D :idea:

Kindsvater Flat
12-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Diabetes is an evil disease. My cousin has it and he is to fricken lazy to take care of himself. He is now legally blind and has lost a leg just because he doesn't feel like checking his blood. On the other hand a good friend of mine has it and he is like your son, constantly monitoring. He plans his days and takes what food he needs for the just in cases. Last year he had a wild hair and was working more than he had planned, agriculture stuff. He wife called me and said he was low low and was 35 min out. She told me he was just up the road so I grabbed a couple of pepsi's. When I got there he was covered in sweat and did not know me. I gave him the pepsi and I also checked his blood. It was 41. 25 min later his wife showed up and brought all kinds of food for him. I believe if it was any longer I would been toned out for a medical aid and he would have gotten a helicopter ride. BTW the good quick fix now are the crystal ice packs for bottled water. 16grams of sugar and pretty portable for kids to carry.

Mandelon
12-01-2007, 10:50 AM
The lows aren't that bad IMO, you just need to bring their blood sugar back up. My mom had it, and she woke up many times on the floor from a low blood sugar induced blackout. She drank every day, smoked for most of her life and had diabetes since she was 45 or so....type 1, but late onset. Give em some OJ, and they wake up. Couple hours later back to normal.
But I still wanna know about the poker game... legal or not? :confused:

CARLSON-JET
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
ARIZONA
Chapter 33, section 13-3301, define "gambling" as risking something of value in a contest of chance or skill. It is unlawful in Arizona unless it falls under the category of "social gambling". "Social gambling" is any gambling that is not a gambling business, and a game where the players are competing on equal terms and are not competing against the house. Home poker games qualify.
CALIFORNIA
Chapter 5 is the Gambling Control Act. Section 19801 (a) states: "Gambling can become addictive and is not an activity to be promoted or legitimized as entertainment for children and families." The Act says that permissible gambling is that gambling deemed by the state to not be endangering of public health, safety, or welfare. All gambling must be pre-approved by the state through government licensing. This includes home poker games.

Mandelon
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
So in AZ its OK, but in CA I need to go get a license?? :rolleyes:

ROCCO
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Its not illegal unless the house (you) is staking the game or taking a percentage of the pots/buy in.

coolchange
12-01-2007, 11:41 AM
My son is on the pump also. We call it fuel injection. Did you know they're comin out with a watreproof one?

cc322
12-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Its only illegal if you are caught playing Van Halen with DLR instead of Sammy :D

CARLSON-JET
12-01-2007, 11:55 AM
The letter of the law in Cali is: It is illegal. SWB noted it might not be prosecuted the first time around. Reading up on this though, if convicted once, the second offense can get kind of serious, as in felony.

Boozer
12-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Show the neighbors your gun collection and convince them you are infatuated with the anarchist cookbook. This should get the point across that any snitching will be dealt with in a severe fashion.

CoolCruzinCobra
12-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Legal or not we play about once a month. Hundreds $ on the table.
Close the doors and window and have fun!!
We never worry about it.