PDA

View Full Version : Powell trip at Easter....

new2cats
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Looking for info on the weather, crowd, conditions over the Easter Vacation (March 21-30th). Also, not houseboating...looking to do Page, AZ (Courtyard Marriott) and keep boat in a slip at Antelope Marina. Is this a good plan considering Family trip??
Not into houseboating...have done it and too much frickin' work!!!!
Any ideas/advice welcome.
Thanks

new2cats
12-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Bump; for some info

franky
12-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes, good plan. Marrriot is nice. If you Golf, the coarse is nice, view is spectacular. I didn't think it was a Courtyard though. Antelope will keep the trip shorter to the good areas. Could get snow at Easter but the Lake will be empty and the water like glass.
Always wanted to do Easter or Thanksgiving. We put our houseboat in after Easter and pull it out before Thanksgiving, thinking about changing that next year.

Magic34
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Water will be freezing!!!!

new2cats
12-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks...

Mardonzi
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Water is a bit chilly that time of year, but tolerable. I would suggest looking into staying at the lodge at Wahweap though and getting a slip there.
The detriment of running the main channel is non-existant (mass quanitites of boats creating the washing machine effect) so it really only cuts off about 8 miles each way of boating. Not to mention there is a pretty cool canyon to see between Wahweap and Antelope marina (Antelope Canyon).
There are also some pretty good price breaks on rooms and you are right down on the water. Watching the sun go down while sitting in the hottub is pretty enjoyable.
Another thing to consider is that if the secondary services at Antelope will be open then (bar and restaruant). I know they are open at Wahweap.

new2cats
12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Water is a bit chilly that time of year, but tolerable. I would suggest looking into staying at the lodge at Wahweap though and getting a slip there.
The detriment of running the main channel is non-existant (mass quanitites of boats creating the washing machine effect) so it really only cuts off about 8 miles each way of boating. Not to mention there is a pretty cool canyon to see between Wahweap and Antelope marina (Antelope Canyon).
There are also some pretty good price breaks on rooms and you are right down on the water. Watching the sun go down while sitting in the hottub is pretty enjoyable.
Another thing to consider is that if the secondary services at Antelope will be open then (bar and restaruant). I know they are open at Wahweap.
Thanks for good ideas......from SoCal, how far to Page VS Wahweap??? Traveling with the kids.....:rolleyes:

gramps
12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I've done Powell in Feburary and March.............the weather can be warm or it can snow. How lucky do you feel?

new2cats
12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
I've done Powell in Feburary and March.............the weather can be warm or it can snow. How lucky do you feel?
We will play it by ear....luckily we can cancel hotel room in within 48 hours of trip!!!

Mardonzi
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for good ideas......from SoCal, how far to Page VS Wahweap??? Traveling with the kids.....:rolleyes:
Page is about 5 miles from Wahweap... so if you do decide to come in and check out the local flavor, it's a quick run.

mini mo
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
In case you still need to know distance I live in Thousand Oaks. It's approx 640 mi via I 40 to 89 down to Page or Approx 600 via I 15 St George/Hurricane. I 15 is less miles but actually takes a little longer. It is more scenic once past Mesqite