PDA

View Full Version : gotta spend some $$$$...computer gurus?

clownpuncher
12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I need to buy a laptop among other "things".
Any clue on what the good ones are? I want to be able to do some basic work for the biz, design menus, internet, maybe play with some home video editing, not much though.
What processor, brand, accessories etc should I look at.
Thanks in advance:D
ROC

Trailer Park Casanova
12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Costco.
We have the Mac book but it's a PITA with most video systems.
If I were to do it again I'd go Windows.
A top of the line lap top at Costco is about $900.
If ya hate it ya got 90 days to bring it back.
The windows video editing sytem is pretty good, and compatible with most cameras out there.
Read that: MOST cameras out there.

Boozer
12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
If you're going to design menus using a program that sucks a lot of resources like photoshop you're going to need a higher end unit. something with a good dual core processor (I recommend Intel) and at LEAST 2 gb's of RAM.
Fry's and MicroCenter are both really good places to go. They can spec out a laptop for you. The sales people at both places are usually pretty knowledgable (total computer geeks) and should be able to get you the perfect lap top to fit your needs.
ALWAYS buy more system then you currently need. It will cost you less to get the system with the resources you need now then to go cheap today and have to add them later.

C-2
12-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Dell has some smokin' values right now under their "smart value" systems. Easy biz credit too - $10K easy credit line.
I've never owned a Dell, but couldn't resist the price last night!

C-2
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
That and they still offer XP. I bought wifey a computer with Vista and it sux azz.:mad:

clownpuncher
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
What's been wrong with Vista? That's pretty much all I'm finding besides the AMD deal. I have XP at home and so far so good.
Dual core - check
Thanks

OCMerrill
12-01-2007, 03:26 PM
That and they still offer XP. I bought wifey a computer with Vista and it sux azz.:mad:
I am with you. I recently purchased from Best Buy an inexpensive ($650) Toshiba Laptop with 1 gig ram and an AMD processor running Vista. Slowest computer on the face of the earth. Back it went.
I currently have two work laptops (Toshiba's) running Intel Centrino's with 512K ram, and XP. Twice as fast as that AMD Vista POS and they are three years old.
To run Vista effeciently one's going to need some Horse Power.

Boozer
12-01-2007, 04:54 PM
To run Vista properly you need to have 2 GB's of ram MINIMUM! I recommend 4 GB's.
until MS comes out with a good service pack to fix many of the issues Vista has I would recommend staying with XP Pro.

lalhc
12-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I would recommend a Dell laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron and I just bought another one this week for my wife for Christmas. I prefer to custom build then to buy whatever the specials are at Best Buy or Circuit City.

thatguy
12-01-2007, 06:47 PM
What's been wrong with Vista? That's pretty much all I'm finding besides the AMD deal. I have XP at home and so far so good.
Dual core - check
Thanks
The problem I have with vista is the directional programs I run for work (Winserve) have many and varied conflicts with Vista. Printing reports from the directional program causes the program to shutdown after every sheet. Thats just a small problem, there are bigger ones that I experience with other 3rd party programs that I am required to use.
Many software companies are scrambling to get their stuff compatible with Vista, and I suspect Microsoft is not making it cheap or easy for them.
I am dreading having to get a new computer. Both my gateways I use for work are XP Pro. My asociates have been getting new units with vista, and it is a nightmare for them.
Tommy

RaceFace
12-01-2007, 07:22 PM
If you are going to get a Dell (besides an Apple, thats what I recommend), go straight to the source, call Dell. If you buy it from Circuit City or Best Buy, you get Vista. If you get it direct from Dell, you can opt for XP Home or Pro (depending on your networking needs). I deal with Dell directly when purchasing systems for my companies. Good luck!

C-2
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
For a Dell desktop, I got:
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz
2GB Ram
80 GB hard drive
16X DVD burner
48X CD burner
256MB GeForece video card
10/100 ethernet card
19 inch widescreen flat panel Dell monitor
Windows XP
$650 including tax and shipped to my door.
I opted for the spendy video card since I have been using Macromedia Flash/Dreamwaever, and Adobe/Corel for graphics. The Flash and Dreamweaver use a lot of memory, but tolerable even with my 6 year old Compaq with 1GB memory.
Dell is also offering a standalone Western Digital 500GB drive for $117 as an add-on, which is a good price, and the reason why I didn’t upgrade the hard drive.
The monitor and video card would cost $350-$400 alone, so I think it’s a pretty decent deal.

OCMerrill
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
For a Dell desktop, I got:
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz
2GB Ram
80 GB hard drive
16X DVD burner
48X CD burner
256MB GeForece video card
10/100 ethernet card
19 inch widescreen flat panel Dell monitor
Windows XP
$650 including tax and shipped to my door.
I opted for the spendy video card since I have been using Macromedia Flash/Dreamwaever, and Adobe/Corel for graphics. The Flash and Dreamweaver use a lot of memory, but tolerable even with my 6 year old Compaq with 1GB memory.
Dell is also offering a standalone Western Digital 500GB drive for $117 as an add-on, which is a good price, and the reason why I didn’t upgrade the hard drive.
The monitor and video card would cost $350-$400 alone, so I think it’s a pretty decent deal.
Sounds like a nice porta box for the $$. Once you try it out let us know the skinny. Plus you got XP! Nice.