PDA

View Full Version : My washer is dead, too many choices, what to do?

Magic34
12-01-2007, 12:40 PM
My damn Kenmore Elite took a dump and I need a new washer today. I like the front loader and 4.0 cu ft in size.
Shopping for these things really suck.
Does anyone know what to get?
My Kenmore that just broke had all the bells and whistles of 6 years ago, such as sanitary cycle. I never used the heater element in it so I dont need that on this next one.
Can anyone help on which brand and model to get?

Trailer Park Casanova
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
The LG steamer set is da kine if you wanna go high line.
Candy Apple red, Stainless, lots of color choices.
Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy has them now, occasionally COSTCO stocks them.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8178/8178599fp.gif
Otherwise, Whirlpool standard at COSTCO.

4trax
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
6 years is all it lasted?

Magic34
12-01-2007, 12:51 PM
6 years is all it lasted?
It is 8 years old. I was working for my father in law back in college selling moves for his moving company. I moved a $5mil house and they had 4 of these things they needed to sell because their other house alrady had it. I paid $1000 for the washer and dryer 5-6 years ago. :D Killer deal at the time.
Now talk about ballers, that family was it. Bronfman.

4trax
12-01-2007, 12:52 PM
This is what I have:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/home%20appliances_laundry_washers_WM2487HRMA.jhtml
How do you like it? What are the pros and cons of it? The set we currently have is on it's last stand and that was the set I was going to go with but really don't know for sure. Is there something else you would of done different if you had to do it again?

Magic34
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
This is what I have:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/home%20appliances_laundry_washers_WM2487HRMA.jhtml
So wait... I have a wrinkled shirt. I put it in the washer in the steamfresh mode and it comes out wrinkle free in just a few minutes?

Lavey5150
12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
My washer works most the time, just can't seem to get her to......fold them, damnit.........................:D

Racey
12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
We've had a maytag neptune for 10 years now probably, never had one single problem with it, and the thing gets punished big time, every load is stuffed to the brim :D, the thing uses about 1/5 the detergent of a top loader for each load as well.

maxwedge
12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I haven't been real impressed with my newer Kenmore appliances either, The 20 year old dryer keeps right on truckin though. I'm pretty sure Whirlpool makes a lot of Kenmore's stuff and I don't think their quality is all that great anymore.

snake321
12-01-2007, 01:18 PM
My damn Kenmore Elite took a dump and I need a new washer today. I like the front loader and 4.0 cu ft in size.
My Kenmore that just broke had all the bells and whistles of 6 years ago, such as sanitary cycle. I never used the heater element in it so I dont need that on this next one.
Call the washer repair guy. Out here they cost a $100 + parts that they usually have in their truck cause most washers and dryers usually break the same parts. I used this guy twice....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Don't get the Frigidaire. My original one didn't work, it took a month of complaining and calling and waiting on hold to get a replacement. I like the front loader a lot, though. However, I didn't think I needed the storage piece that goes underneath, and I regret that. It sucks to have to bend down to pull that laundry out.

OCMerrill
12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
The LG steamer set is da kine if you wanna go high line.
Candy Apple red, Stainless, lots of color choices.
Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy has them now, occasionally COSTCO stocks them.
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8178/8178599fp.gif
Otherwise, Whirlpool standard at COSTCO.
We have the same front loads except in White. 2 years now...work perfectly.
Search front load washers. There has been a few threads on this in recent past.
Key word Tromm...

Hardly Satisfied
12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Mike, you can save lots of money and get the old fashioned washboard. :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe you shouldn't have run her over with yer boat...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44141&stc=1&d=1196382288
:jawdrop:

BOBALOO
12-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I have the same front loader as Magic. It lasted just over 1 year before the circuit board went out. 65$ and some research later, I was fixed. Been over a year since then.
1300$ washer, I had to fix it. I think ALL brands are crap now.........I remodeled my house and cant seem to get rid of my PERFECTLY GOOD, but not matching, white refridgerator for one that will prob break in a year.
Good luck.

OKIE-JET
12-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Maytag Neptune, 5 yrs now, not 1 problem.

Magic34
12-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Call the washer repair guy. Out here they cost a $100 + parts that they usually have in their truck cause most washers and dryers usually break the same parts. I used this guy twice....
Last repair on it cost $300 from Sears. At this point, I am not putting another dime into it. Just getting a new one.
The issue now is the water isn't pumping out and the drum wont spin. Sounds like a water pump and motor issue to me.

C-2
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Kenmore here too - the HE models that holds about a half a dumptruck full of laundry (no center post).
It's scary how little water this thing uses, and kid you not, using the energy saver/HE model washer/dryer dropped our electric bill by almost $100 month.

BadKachina
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
We have the Whirlpool Duets from Costco. I'm pretty sure Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool. I would suggest the stands as they are pretty low to the ground. Looks like they have a 100 dollar rebate right now.
Actually after reading the add again it includes the pedestals.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11197499&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

ahhell
12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
i had the same thing happen, went to Lowe's got a washer that matched the dryer as close as could be ( it was white) and was out 250 bucks...How many of the option things does one actully use??? Im thinking 1 maybe 2...my Gawd everyone throws their clothes in hits the 'normal' cycle and is done with it. I know people that have the shiznitz washer and dryer, and to tell you the truth, when they are standinding next to me at work I cant tell the differance...

ChumpChange
12-01-2007, 04:39 PM
My damn Kenmore Elite took a dump and I need a new washer today.
Do what I did when my washing machine went out.......tell her to wash them by hand! :D

4trax
12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Maybe you shouldn't have run her over with yer boat...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44141&stc=1&d=1196382288
:jawdrop:
WOW!! Another beached Beluga. What is going on with these things????????

2Driver
12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I would have figured you had "people" that did this type of stuff for you?

Magic34
12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I would have figured you had "people" that did this type of stuff for you?
Nope, and I think I fixed it myself. Testing it right now and so far so good. There really isn't much to these if you take the panel off.
I wasn't even going to look at it, but I couldn't go buy a new one today because we spent 4 hours at Urgent Care with our baby boy so I decided to take a look at it about 30 mintues ago since the stores are closed. :( He has a bad case of croup and if he gets 1% worse we are off to the ER. Hopefully the shot starts kicking ass. Our kids have been sick all week, so this washer was the last thing I needed to deal with. :( Hopefully I fixed it and saved $1000. :)

ChumpChange
12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Nope, and I think I fixed it myself. Testing it right now and so far so good. There really isn't much to these if you take the panel off.
I wasn't even going to look at it, but I couldn't go buy a new one today because we spent 4 hours at Urgent Care with our baby boy so I decided to take a look at it about 30 mintues ago since the stores are closed. :( He has a bad case of croup and if he gets 1% worse we are off to the ER. Hopefully the shot starts kicking ass. Our kids have been sick all week, so this washer was the last thing I needed to deal with. :( Hopefully I fixed it and saved $1000. :)
Hope all is well with your son. I was hospitalized for eight days when I was younger with the Croup. Bad stuff. :(

Magic34
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Hope all is well with your son. I was hospitalized for eight days when I was younger with the Croup. Bad stuff. :(
Good news is he is sleeping now and the cough sounds like it wants to start breaking up. It gets worse at night so time will tell with this. Having a sick child is bad, but a sick baby at 5 months old is horrible. :(
Bad news: Washer isn't fixed.:mad:

snake321
12-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Cool, now pay yourself a $100.....

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Just got the new LG Steam washer a week ago.......your clothes have never been so clean. Amazing how quiet it is too. Sat and watched the complete cycle, pretty cool. :)