PDA

View Full Version : Shallow water launching

Danhercules
10-14-2003, 04:21 PM
I have been reading a lot of people having problems launching when the water is low. The trailer going off the concrete, holes in the dirt, ect. I bought a tandum trailer this year. Its from a Miller. It has fiberglass fenders and she floats. Yes, the trailer floats. Why dont I see more of them? It seems to be perfect. My boat goes on and off sooo nice. The top 2 inches of the fenders stay dry. There is no worry about backing too far down, or how far to back down. I have to admit it took a little getting use to, but I love it. I just wanted to know why more people dont have them. :confused:

skeepwerkzaz
10-15-2003, 10:08 AM
eek! Floating trailer eek!
Damn, I am pretty sure mine weighs twice as much as my boat.
Skeep
[ October 15, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: skeepwerkzaz ]

victorfb
10-15-2003, 10:31 AM
ive seen Dans trailer. its pretty cool. the only thing id worry about is launching at a ramp that the water is moving a bit. (ie. river) hey dan, does the trailer move from side to side when the water currant moves around? i guess for a pro launcher such as yourself your too quik to even notice. :D
actually Dan and his wife are pretty good at it. atta boy dan for teaching her well.

miller19j
10-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Aren’t Miller trailers Cool! :)
Its really cool when some idiot in a bass boat ties up behind you and blocks you at the ramp. You just push your trailer over a little and drive right on.

Danhercules
10-15-2003, 10:38 AM
If I go too far, yea it will. As I said, it takes a little getting use to. But I think we got it down now.
Thanks Vic, I cannot wait to back down the new Rogers of yours!!!

miller19j
10-15-2003, 10:39 AM
victorfb:
ive seen Dans trailer. its pretty cool. the only thing id worry about is launching at a ramp that the water is moving a bit. (ie. river) hey dan, does the trailer move from side to side when the water currant moves around? i guess for a pro launcher such as yourself your too quik to even notice. :D
actually Dan and his wife are pretty good at it. atta boy dan for teaching her well. Yes they do move around even if there is a small current. I usually have my wife hold it when we are launching (me in the boat) and I hold on to it when we are retrieving (her in the boat).
It’s second nature once you get use to it. :)

Jungle Boy
10-15-2003, 01:31 PM
A floating trailer!! That would be a wild thing to park on in a fast moving river eek! , but good in a lake. I've never heard of one.

Squirtcha?
10-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Dat's cool, but I'm still waiting for the one that connects and disconnects itself (to and from the truck). As soon as it's available............I'm gettin one.
[ October 15, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

DansBlown73Nordic
10-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Floating Trailers???? eek! Are you Jet boat guys OK??? :p

Danhercules
10-15-2003, 03:15 PM
I am dead f-ing serious. When I backin, the top of the fenders stay dry. I can move the trailer side to side and rotate the wheels underwater. I launched at Telephone cove (I think thats it) on the dirt and other people were having problems cause the holes in the dirt. I was told to move over cause of the hole, I did not move, did not have to tires where not on the ground. I guy wanted to know how I did it, I told him, my trailer floats! Should have seen the look on his face!!!!! :D

quiet riot
10-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Dan, My trailer will float but the boat comes off just before the point where it starts floating. I had someone backing me into a river with fast moving current and they went a little far. I drove off as usual and looked back and saw the trailer moved sideways to a 45 deg. I have found it usefull for when ramps end and drop-off, but most of the time I don't need to back it in that far.
jd

victorfb
10-15-2003, 10:28 PM
would a trolling motor on the back of the trailer be totally out of the question? idea :p

fourspeednup
10-15-2003, 10:36 PM
C'mon victor, this is hot boat! Might as well hang a merc pro max off the back of the trailer. idea wink
[ October 15, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: fourspeednup ]

victorfb
10-15-2003, 10:48 PM
well, i suppose, if the water is really flowing fast....hummmmmmm? ok, i like it. go for the merc. "wanna run that thing"? smile_sp

Danhercules
10-16-2003, 06:40 AM
If I had an extra pump around, I would hook it up to a 25 hp lawn mower motor and put it on the trailer!!!!!!! :p
Yea, VIc, I'll run that thing!!

old rigger
10-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Dans66Stevens:
Floating Trailers???? eek! Are you Jet boat guys OK??? :p Shoot, prop guys had floating trailers looooong before the jet guys did. Come on Dan, haven't you ever launched an old flattie with a wood trailer?

Danhercules
10-16-2003, 08:16 AM
old rigger:
Dans66Stevens:
Floating Trailers???? eek! Are you Jet boat guys OK??? :p Shoot, prop guys had floating trailers looooong before the jet guys did. Come on Dan, haven't you ever launched an old flattie with a wood trailer? Hey rigger, I wish. My boat was made before I was even born. I have never even ridden in a flattie. Wood trailer! Wow. Thats cool. Did you pull it with you truck with the wood bed too?

old rigger
10-16-2003, 08:20 AM
Dan,
I meant the other Dan, dan66stevens.
I think he's old like me.
Lot's of wood trailers still out there. Well, I guess not lots, but some. Hack Jobs girl friends dad has a Campbell with one under it. They weren't that un-common in the the 60's and 70's. Our neighbor at the river had one and it was a blast to launch him cause the current there at Parker was runnin' pretty good. Was no problem getting him wet but pulling him out was kinda tricky and took a extra body or two to keep the trailer from floating downstream mashing into the dock.
[ October 16, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: old rigger ]

Frosty_pop
10-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Must be a 75 or newer Miller... Back in 73 they didn't float.