PDA

View Full Version : Teach teenagers how to drink??

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Just say No ??? Alcohol will be around your kids the rest of their lives. Every event they attent: birthdays,anniversaries, weddings, funerals,new years,halloween, Xmas,4th. of July,frat parties,Family functions,friends functions, business functions, the list goes on and on. Your kids will be hard pressed to find an event in their lives where alcohol is not offerd and freely served and consumed. Almost eveyone has alcohol in their homes, many of us have full bars and rooms in our homes dedicated to the stuff.
With this much attention to alcohol, I find it hard and hypocritical to tell my children to not do it.
Just to tell them "No" and to only inform them of the evils of alcohol, I think is a mistake.
Kids need to be TAUGHT at an EARLY age HOW TO DRINK. Everyone lets their kids find out on their own, with no supervision or advice for fear that they will be condoning drinking.
Teach them where to drink, teach them their limits, teach them where it is safe to drink and where it is not. Teach them to plan a drinking night with the use of designated drivers. Teach them the right times and events where it is acceptable to drink. Teach them to drink responsibly.
Drinking alcohol is not something I want my kids to find out on their own. It is the most dangerous thing we have in our society and mistakes with it could ruin their entire lives.
To just say "No" and hope for the best is turning a blind eye to the problem.
What do you guys think about letting your teenagers drink at home while supervised ?
I find it a hard decision and aware of the liabilities involved, but I know they are going to do it while unsupervised and put themselves into extreemly dangerous positions. I would rather have them safe in my home than out who knows where.
Many of you will say that if I raised them right I shouldn't have to worry.
Put a couple of hot girls around my boys add hormones and peer pressure and I start geting scared.
My oldest is 15, he is starting to do all kinds of crazy stuff, I remember being young.

2forcefull
12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
or you could teach them how to have fun with out drink'n,
hardest thing I ever had to learn!

thatguy
12-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Just say No ??? Alcohol will be around your kids the rest of their lives. Every event they attent: birthdays,anniversaries, weddings, funerals,new years,halloween, Xmas,4th. of July,frat parties,Family functions,friends functions, business functions, the list goes on and on. Your kids will be hard pressed to find an event in their lives where alcohol is not offerd and freely served and consumed. Almost eveyone has alcohol in their homes, many of us have full bars and rooms in our homes dedicated to the stuff.
With this much attention to alcohol, I find it hard and hypocritical to tell my children to not do it.
Just to tell them "No" and to only inform them of the evils of alcohol, I think is a mistake.
Kids need to be TAUGHT at an EARLY age HOW TO DRINK. Everyone lets their kids find out on their own, with no supervision or advice for fear that they will be condoning drinking.
Teach them where to drink, teach them their limits, teach them where it is safe to drink and where it is not. Teach them to plan a drinking night with the use of designated drivers. Teach them the right times and events where it is acceptable to drink. Teach them to drink responsibly.
Drinking alcohol is not something I want my kids to find out on their own. It is the most dangerous thing we have in our society and mistakes with it could ruin their entire lives.
What do you guys think about letting your teenagers drink at home while supervised ?
I find it a hard decision and aware of the liabilities involved, but I know they are going to do it while unsupervised and put themselves into extreemly dangerous positions. I would rather have them safe in my home than out who knows where.
Put a couple of hot girls around my boys add hormones and peer pressure and I start geting scared.
My oldest is 15, he is starting to do all kinds of crazy stuff, I remember being young.
Define "kid".
Then define "Contributing the the delinquency of a minor".
Then have an attorney define "criminal and civil liability" in a fatal incident to you.
Yes, other than the rare "perfect kid" they are going to do much the same that we did. If you enable it, it becomes a whole different arena. They tell their friends because it's cool. That friend yells at his parents "Joe Blows' dad lets him drink"
Then the doorbell rings and you go for a ride while the wife calls the afformentioned attorney.
Tommy

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
or you could teach them how to have fun with out drink'n,
hardest thing I ever had to learn!
I agree, We teach them that everyday of their lives. But the pressure and influences are going to start building on the other side. For the next few years Mom and Dad don't know S--T about life. They will come back around, but not for a couple of years.

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Define "kid".
Then define "Contributing the the delinquency of a minor".
Then have an attorney define "criminal and civil liability" in a fatal incident to you.
Yes, other than the rare "perfect kid" they are going to do much the same that we did. If you enable it, it becomes a whole different arena. They tell their friends because it's cool. That friend yells at his parents "Joe Blows' dad lets him drink"
Then the doorbell rings and you go for a ride while the wife calls the afformentioned attorney.
Tommy
I know, thats the delima. The only legal alternative is for him to drink without our knowledge, in a place that is unknown to us and an out come we can not control. That way mom and dad are off the criminal hook.

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Many european countries: Germany, France, Holland etc. allow minors to drink with their family. Their rates of alcoholism, DUI's and teenage deaths due to alcohol are much lower than ours in the states.

thatguy
12-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Then my attorney would have me out in fifteen minutes, after they decided that they couldn't charge me on 3rd party heresay. ;)
:D :eek: :D

thatguy
12-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Some of the best teenagers/young adults I know are kids that have grown up at the river and have been drinking, under the watchful eyes of their parents, since they were old enough to drive. It takes the allure of sneaking around out of it. I know teenagers love to sneak around and do stuff they think their parents don't know about.
They think they are inventing it.:)
Tommy

2forcefull
12-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Many european countries: Germany, France, Holland etc. allow minors to drink with their family. Their rates of alcoholism, DUI's and teenage deaths due to alcohol are much lower than ours in the states.
all their drunks moved here!
ever tryed to out drink a german!!!

thatguy
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
all their drunks moved here!
ever tryed to out drink a german!!!
Germans are rank amatuers! I am from Scottish blood, We outdrink germans just to get warmed up for the Irish! :D
Tommy

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I first drank with my parents at the river. I think the first time I was drunk I was 14. I know I was with them. Looking back on the experience, I would rather my children's first time testing the waters be at home with me there, rather than at some party. I still made poor choices about drinking while in high school, namely driving home when I shouldn't have, but I never threw up, passed out, or had sex while drunk at parties. I knew my limits in that regard. I think Boatsntoys has the right idea, and of course, each parent will come to his/her own conclusions. My daughter is 15 and I think she's good to wait another year before she starts drinking. She has never asked to try anything that I have been drinking, and she doesn't like beer, maybe if she asked I'd let her. I don't know.

pw_Tony
12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
I completely agree BoatsNToys. I don't have any children myself right now. But that was basically my parents had raised me. They taught me the dangers, and the right way to drink. And since it was ok to drink with them, I could be more open and honest with them about anything, without the fear of getting in trouble or having my parents disappointed with me. Alot, or most kids lie about what they have done or what they are doing to their parents. Now I only drink about 2 or 3 times a year, and if driving is involved there has to be a DD.
Good write up

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 12:03 PM
i had a couple of my 16 YO nephews friends over. They had their own beer an I let them drink it. It was easy to see it was not their first time. I spoke to some of their parents about this subject, not letting them know what the boys had done. They ALL said it would never happen in their homes and that their sons had never had a drink! I can't believer how CLUELESS and in denial these parents were. They don't even know their own children.

thatguy
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
i had a couple of my 16 YO nephews friends over. They had their own beer an I let them drink it. It was easy to see it was not their first time. I spoke to some of their parents about this subject, not letting them know what the boys had done. They ALL said it would never happen in their homes and that their sons had never had a drink! I can't believer how CLUELESS and in denial these parents were. They don't even know their own children.
And these are the very parents who will have your balls as soon as their kids tell them what YOU allowed.
Tommy

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
To me, there's a big difference between letting my kids drink in my presence and letting somebody else's without their knowledge.
You're right. My bad. Would not let it happen again without the approval from all involved. Thanks for showing me the error in my ways. Can't think of a plausable excuse for my actions, so I'll just learn from my error.

2forcefull
12-02-2007, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=My Man's Sportin' Wood;2922460] I still made poor choices about drinking while in high school, namely driving home when I shouldn't have, but I never threw up, passed out, or had sex while drunk at parties.
Dam, I answered yes to everyone of those!!!!

2forcefull
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
when my daughter turned 16, I rented an empty store for a couple days
and had a sweet sixteen party/dance for her.
she was so mad cause I wouldn't at least buy a van full of beer,
she said no one will come if there is no beer!!!!
well,all went well. the place was packed!!! the little punks(other peoples kids)
had burn out contests in the park'n lot. only had to break up a couple fights
the age group of kids was 15 to 22
the next day when I went to clean up, there must of been 100 case's of beer
cans in the empty lot behind the store, I would say a good 75 to 90 percent
of the kids there drank!!!!
that was the last time I ever did anything like that, even though I said
no alchol, they figured out a way

Boozer
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Growing up my parents allowed me to drink under their supervision. I drank without their supervision quite a bit to but under their supervision had already established my limits.
I went to a lot of parties and partied with a lot of kids who's parents were in know way willing to allow their children to drink. Those kids were the same kids who ended up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, having the fire department show up to free their stuck heads form the toilet, puking all over the place, etc., etc.
It is in my opinion the responsibilty of parents to teach their children how to drink and do so responsibly. Do you really expect your kids to learn the way to drink responsibly at a frat party?
The same goes for a lot of things. If you have daughters you should put them on the pill at 15. I know lots of girls who's parents were extreme right wingers or just the typical upstanding moral people who refused to allow their daughters to get on the pill. Their mindset was simple, "Don't have sex and you don't need the pill." Those parents also became grandparents much younger then they anticipated. How do you think their churches feel about that?
You're children will learn about the things you don't want them to know regardless of how you feel. Wouldn't you rather them learn about those things from you and not from someone encouraging them to do those things for their own selfish benefit?

boatsntoys
12-02-2007, 02:14 PM
It is in my opinion the responsibilty of parents to teach their children how to drink and do so responsibly. Do you really expect your kids to learn the way to drink responsibly at a frat party?
Wouldn't you rather them learn about those things from you and not from someone encouraging them to do those things for their own selfish benefit?
So true, There are so many users and abusers out there, that will be more than happy to "teach" your kids how to drink, for their own personal gain.

mmered8299
12-02-2007, 04:34 PM
My kids are 10 and 7. When I read in the Paper about how some kids got drunk and rapped their car around a street light the night before, I'll tear out the article and save it for that day when my teenager tells me I don't know shit! I'll go get all those articles and give it to them to read. I hope this will work. :(

vee-driven
12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Well my buddy's 16 year old learned he can't hang with us big boys while drinkin jack daniels in glamis. hahahah Oh well, he learned he dosen't wanna do that again.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/glamis10-20-07019.jpg

boatsntoys
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Well my buddy's 16 year old learned he can't hang with us big boys while drinkin jack daniels in glamis. hahahah Oh well, he learned he dosen't wanna do that again.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/glamis10-20-07019.jpg
Well....at least he's safe. Next time teach him not pass out with his head under a tire:D

Cigalert
12-03-2007, 09:44 AM
If you do not want your teenage kids around any drugs or alcohol make sure they do not attend any private catholic high schools.

Big Warlock
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM
If you do not want your teenage kids around any drugs or alcohol make sure they do not attend any private catholic high schools.
ok, Which private High School did you go to?? :D

SB
12-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Kids need to be TAUGHT at an EARLY age HOW TO DRINK.
I agree completely, and I've made this point here before.
Start serving an ounce of wine with dinner at 14.
Let your high school seniors drink beer at home.
Let your teenage son know his limits (at home) so he doesn't kill himself behind the wheel.
Don't send your teenage daughter away to college to drink, pass out, and get gang raped the first week.
The parents' job is to get the kid ready for life, this is part of it.
Don't force kids to go to other countries to drink, this is stupid.

Cole Trickle
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
:) I agree completely, and I've made this point here before.
Let your teenage son know his limits (at home) so he doesn't kill himself behind the wheel.
Don't send your teenage daughter away to college to drink, pass out, and get gang raped the first week.
Agreed.....
I started being allowed to drink at family occasions around 15 y/o. If the family was playing board games or bbq or on a camping trip it wasn't a bid deal to drink a couple beers. I can still remember my first champagne hang over from when I was 16:( :mad: :D
I was taught right and wrong and it follows me to this day:)

boatsntoys
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree completely, and I've made this point here before.
Now all we have to do is get society to realize this.
Currently we will get thrown in jail for being responsible parents and teaching our kids one of the most important lessons in life, something they will carry with them forever.
our society is so stupid,
Legalize alcohol but teach no one how to use it responsibly.
republicans want to make abortion illeagle, but don't want to provide health care and good education for kids.
Spend billions regulating drugs and more jails but don't spend money on rehabilitation or education about them. Other than "just say no"

Cigalert
12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
ok, Which private High School did you go to?? :D
I didn't go to a private high school but lost a few friends that did. The ones that didn't kill themselves in alcohol related car accidents seemed to get into trouble in other ways. Wild bunch of hooligans those private school kids.

ZBODaytona
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Well I agree with teaching kids. I started drinking even earlier than most....drinking the fuzz off of dads beer that I went and got out of the fridge for him. But really wasn't allowed to have a drink till I was older. My father was the first to get me drunk, learned real fast that wasn't fun the next day. I also went to france when I was 14, drank then too, and why not it was legal.
In highschool i was the DD most of the time, there was no reason to go out and get drunk. I didn't want to drive home drunk, nor did i want to get in trouble for drinking from the cops. i had a lot to look forward too, and besides i had times under supervision that i could drink if i wanted to, in a safe manner. I new what it was like and since i could do it safely why take the risk, there was no reason to do it all the time when out with friends. I had some friends that like me their parents allowed a few drinks once in awhile. We made it through college and now do pretty good for ourselves, our parents did good in my eyes, i hope to be able to do the same. though it is getting tuffer now.

R.A.D.man
12-03-2007, 12:56 PM
:)
I can still remember my first champagne hang over from when I was 16:( :mad: :D
Ahhh, the old "fampaign chountain" as I called it the night we met. That follows me to this day, 16 with my parents at my uncles wedding reception at his house. Drunk dialing school girls, belly dancing for a few people I had never met, big hangover the next day, but I learned a good lesson.
Kids will learn and I think being there as a parent is better than having their friends teach them.
I had a close friend ask me if I'd teach his kid to drink responsibly. WTF, that's your job I said. I don't even have kids. It's not as if he and his wife don't drink, they just wanted the easy way out. Put the responsibility elsewhere was their solution. Didn't work too well IMO.