PDA

View Full Version : So the washer research has me thinking of a top loader again, front loaders stink?

Magic34
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
My Kenmore Elite H3t started having a smell of mildew for the past year. I would put bleach through it 3 times in a row with no laundry and it would seem to be better for 2 loads. I thought I was leaving the clothes in too long sometimes (1-3 hours after complete).
Well in looking for the common problem of why my washer wont work, I found that many, many people have the same issue.
Do you have a front loader washer that stinks? Check this out.
http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~forums/show_~threads/cat_id_~17/id_~4697/forum_id_~409/pp_~1#posts
By the way, I have my washer tore apart in my laundry room, thinking about dropping the bin.

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Frontloader tend to have leaking issues... maytag in fact will give you a coupon for a top loader if your side loader has had mold probs.

Outnumbered
12-02-2007, 11:03 PM
My Kenmore Elite H3t started having a smell of mildew for the past year. I would put bleach through it 3 times in a row with no laundry and it would seem to be better for 2 loads. I thought I was leaving the clothes in too long sometimes (1-3 hours after complete).
Well in looking for the common problem of why my washer wont work, I found that many, many people have the same issue.
Do you have a front loader washer that stinks? Check this out.
http://www.epinions.com/msg/sec_~forums/show_~threads/cat_id_~17/id_~4697/forum_id_~409/pp_~1#posts
By the way, I have my washer tore apart in my laundry room, thinking about dropping the bin.
Unplug the washer and take the front lower cover off (below the glass door) and there is a pump clean-out (round plastic cover--open with your fingers). It is common for lint and maybe even a baby sock to get in there and mildew. Clean any scum out of the housing using Tilex or similar. Use a shop vac or towels to catch the water when you open the clean-out. I just did mine. It was easy, takes about 1/2 hour. The HE3's are great. Don't give up on them.

BlueNun
12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
My family had been thru 6 maytag neptune front loaders and I personally have been thru 3 Kenmore Elite HE top and front loaders. Here is what I learned
1. HE soap is expensive
2. He washers do not tend to clean or rinse as well being that they use alot less water. So if your house is like mine (kids with food on there shirt)(big blankets) (animals) (change your own oil) etc. I just did not have good luck with any "normal" home laundry personally.
3. Front loaders do have the mold issues etc.
After all I went thru I bought a nice Amana regular top loader and have never been happier. I buy a big box of Tide from Costco and it lasts for months. H.E. soap was running out every 2 weeks and my clothes were not getting as clean as I felt they should. I do have friends that like there front loaders but they all have had to have some warranty work as some time.
1 positive is my power bill went down about $12 a month but I like the cleaning and ease my regular washer I set out to replace does for me.

Magic34
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Take the lower cover off (below the glass door) and there is a pump clean-out (round plastic cover--open with your fingers). It is common for lint and maybe even a baby sock to get in there and mildew. Use a shop vac or towels to catch the water. I just did mine. It was easy. The HE3's are great. Don't give up on them.
I did that, twice now. I now have the back of it off and the main drain tube off and cleaning that out. There were no real obstructions in the filter. At this point I am guess something is in the water pump or the water pump is toast.
Regardless, it looks like a ton of people have issues with these things. :confused:
Also, didn't get to ship your stuff yet. Kids got worse and spent 4 hours to day at Urgent Care with our baby. I will get it out no later than Tuesday. Sorry. :(

Outnumbered
12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
I did that, twice now. I now have the back of it off and the main drain tube off and cleaning that out. There were no real obstructions in the filter. At this point I am guess something is in the water pump or the water pump is toast.
Regardless, it looks like a ton of people have issues with these things. :confused:
Also, didn't get to ship your stuff yet. Kids got worse and spent 4 hours to day at Urgent Care with our baby. I will get it out no later than Tuesday. Sorry. :(
No problem. Bummer that thing is giving you problems. I took the pump out of mine too and cleaned it. It was quick and easy. There was a piece of wood chip from the playground stuck in there.:)

BajaMike
12-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I've had a front loader Maytag for about 6 months now...it has been great....cleans very well and is very quiet.
I hope I'm not going to have those problems...........:confused:

Trailer Park Casanova
12-03-2007, 03:24 AM
The Front Loaders are SUPPOSED to be easier on your clothes.
We never use HE detergent, regular works just fine, just use a little less.
Yeah, it stinks and ties your cloths in knots.
We still prefer the front loader though.

Magic34
12-03-2007, 04:13 AM
The Front Loaders are SUPPOSED to be easier on your clothes.
We never use HE detergent, regular works just fine, just use a little less.
Yeah, it stinks and ties your cloths in knots.
We still prefer the front loader though.
You read some of those threads in that link I posted?
Those washers are getting a beating from people with serious regard. I would compare it to being much worse than a Kachina paint job taking a beating here.
Funny, a lot of people didn't want to talk about the their washer smelling thinking it was their fault, me included, but it isn't these things really have some issues.
I'll save more water washin my cars without water than the difference in washers. So I am still doing my part for the world. :D
I just need to find time to go look at then damn things now. Poor baby is really sick. :( I have been up rocking him now for an hour. I need some damn sleep.

ULTRA28
12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Front loaders need to have the door left open whenever not being used. This will keep the washer from stinking and will save the seal around the door from rotting. We have several and have no problems with any smell whatsoever since we were told to do this.
Mike, I hope your boy is doing better. There is nothing worse than the helpless feeling of a child being sick.

HM
12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I have a front loader washer.....LG (I forget the exact model but was about $500). My wife LOVES it. It does leak a little, but my wife has learned to clean the door seal and surface on a regular basis which is really nothing more than wiping the seal and the contact surface clean. I put a plastic tray under the washer to catch what little water does leak out...it is never really enough to actually drain.
It is way way way waaaaaayyyyyyyy easier on our clothes and it seems like the clothes are cleaner. Bought the matching dryer and we saw a very noticable difference in our electric bill (my neighborhood is all electric) as I have 4 kids and my wife is doing laundry constantly. And, we don't have an odor problem...probably because it is in constant use.
My wife will never go back to a top loader.

Magic34
12-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Front loaders need to have the door left open whenever not being used. This will keep the washer from stinking and will save the seal around the door from rotting. We have several and have no problems with any smell whatsoever since we were told to do this.
Mike, I hope your boy is doing better. There is nothing worse than the helpless feeling of a child being sick.
Thanks John.
I ALWAYS leave the door open. From what I am reading, water gets between the drum and liner and never escapes. That is the problem I guess mine has.
I started looking at nice top loaders and the damn things are still $1000 for a nice one. :sqeyes:

Waist Deep
12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
We had a Maytag Neptune top loader, biggest piece of crap. Just gave it away to Sears and bought a Kenmore front loader. Amazed it takes 2 hours to do a large load. Hear nothing good about front loaders now that we bought one.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
It won't be long before the old washers will no longer be made because they use ton more water to wash than the HE washers.....
We love our new LG........

Magic34
12-03-2007, 09:22 AM
It won't be long before the old washers will no longer be made because they use ton more water to wash than the HE washers.....
We love our new LG........
Hmmmm... appreciation maybe? Collectors item? :)

rrrr
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Huh. We bought a Bosch front loader about three years ago and haven't had any problems with it. The washer uses 1/2 the detergent the top loader did.

Outnumbered
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Our HE3 is almost 4 years old. This was the first time I cleaned it out. We always leave the door ajar when not using it. We also use standard detergent. No smell. The only reason I took it apart was that a wood chip got in the pump and it did not drain the water out. While I was in there I took the whole pump and housing out and the "bellows" and cleaned them all with Tilex (bleach/mildew stuff).
Michael, have you cleaned the inside of "bellows" thing that has the check-valve plastic ball inside? Pop the ball out and give it a thorough scrub with Tilex and a rag.

Magic34
12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Huh. We bought a Bosch front loader about three years ago and haven't had any problems with it. The washer uses 1/2 the detergent the top loader did.
For a front, I am torn on the Bosch and LG.
I know I am not buying anything at Sears.
How is this LG? I refuse to spend over $1000 on this deal.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100498604&N=10000003+90401+500022+2647&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

Magic34
12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Michael, have you cleaned the inside of "bellows" thing that has the check-valve plastic ball inside? Pop the ball out and give it a thorough scrub with Tilex and a rag.
Did that last night. Fockin nasty. :eek: Water is making it to the pump, just not past it. So my issue lies with a clogged pump or broken pump. I am sure that is the issue.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100498604&N=10000003+90401+500022+2647&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125
Thats the one I really wanted because of the color but it does not have the Steam option so the wife overruled my initial choice.
The 4.0 in Red(also comes in white) is the lesser expensive of the Steam units, the blue one is basically the same except it spins a few hundred RPM higher than the red one.
The research I did had me pointed at LG, every store I visited each saleperson pointed toward the LG regardless of other brands on the floor. LG has been a component maker for most other brands. Maytag sucks since Whirlpool bought them.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I learned long ago go with what the wife wants.
Female phenomenom.
They yap with their girlfriends and hear tips and tales about appliances.
How big the loading door, overall capacity, steam cycle, ect ect.
Like me, Ziggy bit on the color and style, forget function.
With the LG dryer, the clothes "talk to you" they look so good when ya finish a cycle and open the hatch.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I learned long ago go with what the wife wants.
Female phenomenom.
They yap with their girlfriends and hear tips and tales about appliances.
How big the loading door, overall capacity, steam cycle, ect ect.
Like me, Ziggy bit on the color and style, forget function.
With the LG dryer, the clothes "talk to you" they look so good when ya finish a cycle and open the hatch.
LOL...ain't it the truth :D

Magic34
12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Thats the one I really wanted because of the color but it does not have the Steam option so the wife overruled my initial choice.
The 4.0 in Red(also comes in white) is the lesser expensive of the Steam units, the blue one is basically the same except it spins a few hundred RPM higher than the red one.
The research I did had me pointed at LG, every store I visited each saleperson pointed toward the LG regardless of other brands on the floor. LG has been a component maker for most other brands. Maytag sucks since Whirlpool bought them.
I just talked the the place I am heading this afternoon to buy one, a local Appliance store called Spencers. They usually have the best deals in town and the sales people are not an 18 y/o just punching the hours away.
He recommended the Whirlpool 9400 if I wanted top of the line with the steam option. However he suggested I not do the steam becuase it is a new thing out and our hard water, in theory, could clog the heads and he doesn't understand how they can get past that.
I asked about the LG and he said they seem to be good, but in cases where parts are needed, he has seen it take a week to get parts where the Whirlpool parts are readily available.
They sell both LG and Whirlpool among others.
I am confused as hell, but am just going to go and get something. I am sick of this.

Ziggy
12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I just talked the the place I am heading this afternoon to buy one, a local Appliance store called Spencers. They usually have the best deals in town and the sales people are not an 18 y/o just punching the hours away.
He recommended the Whirlpool 9400 if I wanted top of the line with the steam option. However he suggested I not do the steam becuase it is a new thing out and our hard water, in theory, could clog the heads and he doesn't understand how they can get past that.
I asked about the LG and he said they seem to be good, but in cases where parts are needed, he has seen it take a week to get parts where the Whirlpool parts are readily available.
They sell both LG and Whirlpool among others.
I am confused as hell, but am just going to go and get something. I am sick of this.
Yeah, my head was spinning(pun intended) after looking at several but the common denominator was LG.....If the steam is something you want to skip then the Titanium one is equal to the red unit.
LG makes parts for every other washing machine on the market.....they are big in Europe too from my understanding.

Magic34
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Ended up buying a Whirlpool 9400 for $950 and a 5 year service warranty for $120.
We'll see. :confused:

caroftheweek
12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Ended up buying a Whirlpool 9400 for $950 and a 5 year service warranty for $120.
We'll see. :confused:
I heard that one has had more problems than the one you just had. good thing you purchased the warranty.
sounds like another case of a sales guy trying to sell the items that get the good kickback.
Just Kidding:D :D :D
good luck with your new washer.

riverroyal
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
and in this color,be here sunday:D http://us.lge.com/download/product/image/1000003609/3QR_WM2487HRMA_l.jpg

Hardly Satisfied
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Mike, save some money and buy a wooden washboard.

riverroyal
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
my laundry rooms gonna look sweeeeethttp://us.lge.com/download/product/image/1000003610/HO_DLEX7177RM_l_l.jpg

OCMerrill
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Mike,
One thing I learned when researching ANY appliance on the internet is that the only people that post are the people that are extremely unhappy or have no life. Seriously, I just about didn't buy anything because of all the negative comments. Washer, dryer, refrig, dishwasher, range, microwave. You name, there's somebody totally pissed off that they bought it.
100% spot on.
ON EDIT I read you bought something other.
Magic 34 - One thing about the Tromm's is a little mildew smell will happen if the door is shut right after a wash with residual water inside and left for a week.
We found this out on week one. On the other hand with two very active small kids the thing never sits longer than a day at most so it's really not an issue for us currently.

Parker Dreamin
12-03-2007, 07:34 PM
We have the Whirlpool Duet HT, nothing to complain about so far.
We do have them running everyday or every other.

caroftheweek
12-03-2007, 07:36 PM
and in this color,be here sunday:D http://us.lge.com/download/product/image/1000003609/3QR_WM2487HRMA_l.jpg
Laundry Baller!!!!:D :D

Magic34
12-03-2007, 10:49 PM
sounds like another case of a sales guy trying to sell the items that get the good kickback.
Funny, I thought that the whole time and asked him how much more he made selling me the Whirlpool over the LG. No spiff or anything, he truely believed it was a better unit and comparing them side by side, they both had their plus and minus to each.
I will probably be pissed in the long run, but believe me, for the 5 years I have that warranty with no service visit charge or parts, I will get my $$ worth. :D

WetWillie
12-03-2007, 11:19 PM
LG TROMM with the big drum.. Bought these 2 years ago and they are awsome. Also have to leave the door open when not in use...

Magic34
12-03-2007, 11:25 PM
LG TROMM with the big drum.. Bought these 2 years ago and they are awsome. Also have to leave the door open when not in use...
Too late focker! Where were you yesterday? :sqeyes:

Jbb
12-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Elvis sez.......Front load ......:)
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44412&stc=1&d=1196773581

YeLLowBoaT
12-04-2007, 05:12 AM
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44412&stc=1&d=1196773581
they need to get rid of that petsol so we can watch her bend over when putting stuff in or pulling it out.

Magic34
12-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah... the store I went to wasn't like that... Damnit! :mad:

voodoomedman
12-04-2007, 06:55 AM
If you go top load look at the Whirlpool Cabrio. We bought those earlier this year and they are bichen. It has no agitator and is high efficiency. I've always bought Whirlpool or Kenmore (which is Whirlpool with Sears badge) and have always had good luck except for one time. Parents had Whirlpool growing up and no problems either. The one problem I did have was with my first fridge I bought. Something down at the bottom wasn't wired right or something as I heard a weird loud buzz one night and when I went and looked the bottom started on fire a little bit. Extinguisher put it out and I had Sears replace it under warranty. Fine now but I will say I worried what would have happened had I not been home. Newest fridge has a sticker on the inside that says something about Whirlpools having the least amount of service calls than any other manufacturer.

Hardly Satisfied
12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I like that

riverroyal
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
i cant wait to do laundry,,,thats wrong