PDA

View Full Version : RE folks: Lease to buy questions

DRMCAT
12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
We are looking for info on leasing our home with a purchase option. Any info on pros and cons would be appreciated.
Thanks

AirtimeLavey
12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
If I understand you correctly, you have a house that you're looking to sell on a lease option. If that's the case, I wouldn't be so inclined right now unless you can lock a good price, which will be tough right now. If I'm representing the buyer, I'll tell them that they should lease option right now, since the price will most likely be down when they are ready to buy in one or two years.
It's all in how you structure the option and what you get for the option. If you want to sell in the next three years, I would jump on it and get it done now before you lose much more value. I don't think the market will drop 50%, but it's going to come down a bunch by the time the dust settles. Either get rid of it now or be ready to hold it for 5+ years, would be my opinion, but no one has a crystal ball.
Plus, you have to rely on the renters to keep the place in tip top shape, so you don't lose even more value. I don't see you holding a lease option as a good bet right now, with the information given. You'll want to get a few opinions as you'll get some different angles. That's my simple answer, I could be wrong. Good luck.

totenhosen
12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
So many different ways to structure it. Before I give you my answer I need some more info. Why are you doing a lease to own option vs. selling it outright now? Why can't the people purchase the house right now?