PDA

View Full Version : How do I check clearance ??

Checkmate1
07-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Is there a way to check the clearance without tearing the pump apart ?? I need to know if the pump is my major malfunction. I can't floor the boat until at least 2700 rpm's or I will over rev. Hell sometimes I can over rev it all the way to 3000 rpm's. Sure sounds good, but no "go".
Can someone detail the procedure for me ? I have spent the last 3 hours doing searches on various boards coming up with much less than I need to procede.
I am pretty sure this pump has never been rebuilt. Would I just need the "standard" size wear ring? How many hours , ballpark, should it take to rebuild ? Any and All help appreciated, thanks Dan

Moneypitt
07-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Did this problem start all at once? or gradually over a period of time? I experienced something simular, and it was a small piece of wood wedged against the rear vane...Moneypitt

Checkmate1
07-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Well...In a way it started all at once. As soon as I upped the Hp from a whooped 300 hp engine to a strong 500hp engine. :D
I have only owned the boat for 4 yrs or so, but it has always seemed to cavitate alot to me.
I finally have the new engine running like a top and now I want to bring the pump back to life. Especially now that I beat the one boat on the river here that no one could beat. That night he loaded his boat and hauled it straight to his buddies house to put a new cam in. eek! Now he wants a rematch. I am sure he will get me since his pump is only 3 years old, but I want to give him a GOOD run for his money as soon as possible. :) wink

sidewound
07-09-2003, 07:02 PM
You can check the wear ring clearance through the handhole with feeler gauges. You can also feel for movement in the thrust bearing and bowl bushings.
Duane at HTP provided me with parts, machine work and also EXCELLENT advice in rebuilding for free via the net. Any questions I had, he mailed me back pronto. His ideas are pretty much influenced by his testing platform and I can't argue with the numbers he posts.Him Heap Big Fast White Man! he he he
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

BigJetDaddy
07-10-2003, 04:23 AM
checkmate1,
Call Don Bowers in Columbus. He is the local (ohio) guru on pumps, and one hell of a nice guy.
He has the parts and expertise to fix you right up.
Don's Pump Service
614-488-1335