PDA

View Full Version : Red Baron Pizza Squadron deactivated

rrrr
12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Too bad......they were a great airshow act. I got to take a ride in one of their Stearmans before they performed at an airshow at Carswell AFB a few years back. There's nothing like doing acrobatics in an open cockpit biplane......the ultimate carnival ride.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44476&stc=1&d=1196813725
Monday, December 3, 2007 - 4:44 PM CST
Schwan grounds Red Baron air team
by Marie Connor Staff Writer
The Schwan Food Co. announced Monday it is retiring its aerobatic air show performers, the Red Baron Pizza Squadron, after 28 years.
Marshall-based Schwan said the retirement is due to "considerable change" in the retail grocery industry.
"As a result, we have decided to refocus our Red Baron marketing program and to discontinue the Red Baron Squadron," said Bill McCormack, executive vice president.
Food companies have been squeezed this year by escalating prices for ingredients and energy, though Schwan didn't detail whether this was the reason for grounding the air team.
The Red Baron Squadron flew restored Boeing Stearman biplanes that were built between 1941 and 1943. The squadron has performed more than 2,000 aerobatic air shows.

Classic Daycruiser
12-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I think I'll buy a Red Barron Pizza tomorrow in their honor.

73kona455
12-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I think I'll buy a Red Barron Pizza tomorrow in their honor.
i think i will stop buying red baron in their honor.....:D

pancho
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
had a friend with a open cockpit stearman a while ago,the ultimate you better trust youre pal ride!