PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Pumps.. which ones are best ??

Halletosis76
08-07-2003, 10:30 PM
HEY ALL,
Which Berkeley pumps are the best ?? :)
I'm all ears.... Craig M.L. :D

moneysucker
08-07-2003, 10:52 PM
you have more versatilitywith a split bowl berkely 12JG pump that way you can install a droop. If you have a 12jc you can change the bowl too for a droop. Of course a set back pump is nice so the clean out is outside the boat. it is also easier to install a pop-off with a set back pump. but it all depends on what you plan to do with the boat.

Hallett19
08-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Berk 12JG is the one. Easy to add the droop for raising the boat out of the water, more efficient. The dominator and american turbine arent bad selections either, but berk has been around so long, I trust their products more.

Moomawnster
08-08-2003, 01:44 AM
The BEST pump by far is the one thats in the boat and WORKING ! this rule is true for motors as well.... Only racers and big motors will ever tell the diff , even that depends on the hull , my "junk" J/E is getting 60mph with maybe 240 hp sbc ...now ....I would LOVE to hook up the j/g race pump and see what the clapped out small block could do with that , but I don't think it would be practical or even faster , as the motor won't turn it! Water dynamics is very complicated and definitive statements are dangerous , I see more value in getting the most from what you HAVE ..... Let the flames begin! HehHeh .... eek! :D
[ August 08, 2003, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

AZKC
08-08-2003, 08:35 AM
You can do all kinds of crap to Berks, its almost endless the amount of mods you can do, some work, some are for show, but somebody is allways tweakin on their pump.
Speaking of....what kind of HP can you hit a 12jc-a in good condition without wasting it?
KC

Hallett19
08-08-2003, 08:51 AM
just dont polish the pump !!!!
AZKC, if you can keep pushrods and valves in the boat :D , I assume you can throw around 650-700 at a stock pump. Setup, I'm sure the possibilities are endless.
[ August 08, 2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

pops1
08-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Moomawnster:
Water dynamics is very complicated and definitive statements are dangerous , I see more value in getting the most from what you HAVE ..... Let the flames begin! HehHeh .... eek! :D Don't buy this statement- Water control and flow have come a long way since that design 36 years ago. Pumps came out of deep water techno then. If you look at most, pumps bowls etc thats what you find. Impellers which had a base of 2600 RPMs max. were identical to what was in the ground pumping water.
Seven years ago we demonstrated in front of everyone at the NJBA Nationals @ Lake Ming.
We had Ross Wilder (Wilder Days-Wilder Engineering) agree to test our impeller- Basis must make 2- passes on his best set-up, at the end of this(Our impeller was cut to match his dimensions & cut) our impeller went in for the third pass.
Run #1= 123.06MPH, Run#2= 123.08,Run #3 129.86
no other changes were made to the boat. Change was made by Tom Enis of Wilder & also Driver.
I have a vidio of that day with Pappy's Jaw dropped to his chest and all he could say was "I ain't never in my life seen this".
He also cut tenths off his E.T. and raced back to the pits to slow the boat down before he jumped class and lost high points championship. He put nozzle wedges in and his finish runs for the day went 128mph,127mph to high points champion.
If you look @ our web site and hit refresh the little Red Boat -WilderCraft- "Wilder Days" comes up. I know the Hot Tub people know this boat well.
Things do change!

Moomawnster
08-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Yes ... and before you chopped up my statement I said "only RACERS and big motors will ever tell the diff......"
Try that shit with a boat you will never even SEE ..... :rolleyes:

Snorider
08-08-2003, 06:58 PM
I beg to differ...
My 275hp motor picked up 5-7mph from making my pump more effficient. 275hp is far from a lot of HP.
Just my 0.02
EDIT: Just wanted to add my old pump was not loose, did not cavitate. Just added some "race" parts.
[ August 08, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

Bense468
08-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Pops1
Do you think air quality had anything to do with it? I know in asphalt racing a run 2-3 hours later makes a difference if that run is when the air temp has come down but the track is still warm.
So the real test would have been to test one impellar one day, and test the other impellar on the same run the next day. As long as the temps were pretty equal then you would get your difference. Water conditions also could have played a role in this. There is just so many factors to play out. I have a hard time figuring out how you can say it actually works without multiple tests to back it up. One more thing, were all of those test done with NO tuning of the motor in between?
[ August 08, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

Snorider
08-08-2003, 07:43 PM
nevermind :p
[ August 08, 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

Moomawnster
08-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Snorider , I did the same thing with my pump too .. but thats not what I am saying ,we are comparing pumps here and Pops1 , I still say only the racers have enough consistant water and record keeping to compare PUMPS , IE my j/e vs my j/g over the course of years , with identical motors and hulls .... and time slips to make it a FACT instead of a good run one day .... I knew this would flame on me but really .... if you have swapped pumps on the same boat on the same day same motor same water conditions , with timed runs , Well , your a racer !HehHeh ... argue :D