PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transport?????

SOCALDETAIL1
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I need a car transported from Eugene, Oregon to Los Angeles within the next 2 weeks. Anyone have any leads???? Thanks in advance. Mark

BoatPI
12-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Try DAS. Easy online quote. they are the largest shipper.

new2cats
12-05-2007, 06:18 AM
We have used "Intercity Lines" out of Boston...they do West Coast twice a week.
http://www.intercitylines.com/
Talk to Dave Wilson (Owner) and let him know Billy @ B2 Design Group referred you.
Good luck.

Not So Fast
12-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Try "Shipping Guy ' on here. ;) NSF

shippingguy
12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Try "Shipping Guy ' on here. ;) NSF
Thanks Bobby, but unfortunately I do not do auto transport.
Mike

H2O
12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Unless you get lucky, and one of the big companies is running your route in the near future, you may have to contact a broker and have them post your request on the "board" (which is similar to the Real Estate MLS listing system). That way you have maximum exposure to everyone running that route. The truckers generally check the "board" once or twice a day, so'll you want to get posted ASAP.
If a broker quotes a really low price, which they often do to get your business, you may wait weeks for a pick-up. (And the broker may lie or ignore your calls in the meantime). In general, the higher price you "bid" the faster your car is going to get picked up. The truckers will go out of their way to get the higher priced jobs. If don't get pick-up in a week, you can try adding a $50 or $75 bonus for immediate pickup. I am surprised how much another $75 means to these guys.
I have found that the brokers generally charges $125 to $150 for posting your car on the boards. There are a lot of sleezy brokers out there, so buyer beware.
You can see an online review of Transport Brokers here - http://www.transportreviews.com
So hopefully you can do a quick check on them before you sign a contract.
Good luck!
PS - Every move is different, but I have had bad luck with DAS and they get poor reviews on the site above. Since the brokers use independent truckers it is often the luck of the draw as much as anything, but their customer service is famously poor.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Unless you get lucky, and one of the big companies is running your route in the near future, you may have to contact a broker and have them post your request on the "board" (which is similar to the Real Estate MLS listing system). That way you have maximum exposure to everyone running that route. The truckers generally check the "board" once or twice a day, so'll you want to get posted ASAP.
If a broker quotes a really low price, which they often do to get your business, you may wait weeks for a pick-up. (And the broker may lie or ignore your calls in the meantime). In general, the higher price you "bid" the faster your car is going to get picked up. The truckers will go out of their way to get the higher priced jobs. If don't get pick-up in a week, you can try adding a $50 or $75 bonus for immediate pickup. I am surprised how much another $75 means to these guys.
I have found that the brokers generally charges $125 to $150 for posting your car on the boards. There are a lot of sleezy brokers out there, so buyer beware.
You can see an online review of Transport Brokers here - http://www.transportreviews.com
So hopefully you can do a quick check on them before you sign a contract.
Good luck!
PS - Every move is different, but I have had bad luck with DAS and they get poor reviews on the site above. Since the brokers use independent truckers it is often the luck of the draw as much as anything, but their customer service is famously poor.
I will try that, If not I will tell them I will meet them in San Francisco.

maxwedge
12-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I sold a truck on ebay a while back to somebody in CA who used Auto Transport Direct to ship it. They drove right up to my house. Unfortunately for the for poor mustang convertible that was on top of the transport, I live on an older street with a lot of very large low hanging trees. Tree branches clinging to the wipers, stuck in the grill, wedged under the bumber etc. The driver got out and he's all like "Oh fuk man, I made a big mistake coming down this road.":D He must not have hit too much on the way out, because the guy who bought my truck called me up when it arrived and couldn't have been happier. I would probably still use them. They were on time and reasonable.

H2O
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I will try that, If not I will tell them I will meet them in San Francisco.
PS - FYI, most "shipping companies" are really just brokers and don't have their own trucks. So even it you are talking to "Joe's Auto Transport", Joe probably doesn't have a truck and is just a broker anyway. So be sure and ask them if they own their own trucks if you want to be clear on that point! If they don't own the trucks, they can't controller the pick-up schedule and they are just posting the listing like everybody else.
You will also want to make sure that the carrier, whoever it is, is licensed, bonded and insured. I always have them fax or e-mail those details before they ship.
PSS - I used Angel's as a broker twice. They were excellent the first time and not so good the second, becuase they were short staffed. But they continue to get very high ratings so hopefully they are back on track - http://www.angelstransport.com/home.html

SOCALDETAIL1
12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Yea Im finding that out. I might fly up there and drive it down.
PS - FYI, most "shipping companies" are really just brokers and don't have their own trucks. So even it you are talking to "Joe's Auto Transport", Joe probably doesn't have a truck and is just a broker anyway. So be sure and ask them if they own their own trucks if you want to be clear on that point! If they don't own the trucks, they can't controller the pick-up schedule and they are just posting the listing like everybody else.
You will also want to make sure that the carrier, whoever it is, is licensed, bonded and insured. I always have them fax or e-mail those details before they ship.
PSS - I used Angel's as a broker twice. They were excellent the first time and not so good the second, becuase they were short staffed. But they continue to get very high ratings so hopefully they are back on track - http://www.angelstransport.com/home.html

shippingguy
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Yea Im finding that out. I might fly up there and drive it down.
A company you may want to look at is Horseless Carriage. I had them bring me out a 70 1/2 Z28 Camaro from Illinois a few years back. All enclosed temp controlled, but they may have open haulers as well. They own their own equipment and are not a broker.
Mike