PDA

View Full Version : So I saw some kids tagging things last night....

Tremor Therapy
12-05-2007, 07:48 AM
So I was at a stop light, and I saw these knuckleheads tagging a Del Taco sign. Well, they ran accross the street and started tagging the utility boxes as well, so I called 911. I got transfered to the Sheriff and gave them their descriptions as well as the location. I decided to park at a corner gas station and wait for the cops....you know, thinking a witness for the cops may help.
Well, they ran into a field and were just kind of hanging out, so I called back and gave them an update. So 25 minutes later I was still waiting for the police, and the taggers disappeared over the hill into the back of the field, and I left. Now I know the cops have lots to do, but it only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to where I was from the actual police station in Vista. Do you think I should have gone Joe Horn on them?
I have this conversation with people all the time....it isn't that people don't care anymore, its the fact that if you call and want a cop, they aren't coming unless they hear gun fire in the back ground! I can't tell you how many cops I see patrolling the north Sante Fe area...all the damn time. But need a cop, and you are better off taking care of the situation yourself!

Jbb
12-05-2007, 07:51 AM
The cops were all busy tracking down the guy that pulled the gas pump nozzle and didnt pay...:jawdrop:

justfloatn
12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Ditto.
Last year after the Super Bowl my wife and I were driving home. Two blocks from my house I see a couple kids walking around with bb guns and one is pumping his up.
I think, now way this is going to turn out good. I call the Sheriff (not 911) and let them know where they are and what direction they were heading. An hour and a half later a patrol car calls me and states he is on his way.
I started laughing and said, "Why to clean up broken glass; don't bother. What ever they were heading to do is done." He did apologize and it was Super Bowl night, so I'm sure there were a lot of calls. But same deal. Next time I'll stop and handle it myself.

Jbb
12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I wonder if they tazered Nord when he didn't have exact change to pay for the damages?
They damm well should have.

ParkerRat
12-05-2007, 07:59 AM
So I was at a stop light, and I saw these knuckleheads tagging a Del Taco sign. Well, they ran accross the street and started tagging the utility boxes as well, so I called 911. I got transfered to the Sheriff and gave them their descriptions as well as the location. I decided to park at a corner gas station and wait for the cops....you know, thinking a witness for the cops may help.
Well, they ran into a field and were just kind of hanging out, so I called back and gave them an update. So 25 minutes later I was still waiting for the police, and the taggers disappeared over the hill into the back of the field, and I left. Now I know the cops have lots to do, but it only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to where I was from the actual police station in Vista. Do you think I should have gone Joe Horn on them?
I have this conversation with people all the time....it isn't that people don't care anymore, its the fact that if you call and want a cop, they aren't coming unless they hear gun fire in the back ground! I can't tell you how many cops I see patrolling the north Sante Fe area...all the damn time. But need a cop, and you are better off taking care of the situation yourself!
I hope you don’t mind, I e-mailed a link to this to the Sheriff's department and asked them to respond directly. I know they have a tough job but I have seen a huge increase lately in the Gang Activity and tagging in the Oceanside and Vista area and I would also like to know what it takes to get the Sheriff’s department or police department to do something about it. It seems that most of the other cities in the area are cracking down and chasing the gangs out. I think they are all coming to our city because they have free reign! Dam Shame!

Mandelon
12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Ya never know when one of these kids may be packing uncle Paco's .38......be careful. Kids aren't so much like they used to be.
Maybe a camera might be better... :confused:

Nord
12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
The cops were all busy tracking down the guy that pulled the gas pump nozzle and didnt pay...:jawdrop:
lol...............:D

voodoomedman
12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I think it depends on the city you are in. Here in Chino the cops are here in minutes. But it really does suck though the way society is going. The problem with litigation, gun control, more laws instead of enforcing current ones etc. is that the bad guys are still bad guys and know that everybody else has there hands tied. Actually the bad guys are punks now and will screw with anybody and carry weapons and such so you can't always just go give a simple a$$ whoopin because you have to decide if the guy is smart enough to figure out how to use the gun before you can get to him and take it away and beat him with it.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Ya never know when one of these kids may be packing uncle Paco's .38......be careful. Kids aren't so much like they used to be.
That's exactly what happened earlier this year in Pico Rivera I believe...

XFactor
12-05-2007, 08:26 AM
2 years ago I witnessed a hit & run. I called 911 and was put on hold. 15 mins later I hung up and called 911 again only to be placed on hold again. I waited 5 mins, hung up a called again. This time I told them not to put me on hold. They asked me if it was life threating and I said no. Guess what.....I was on hold AGAIN! This time it was 12 mins when the operator finally took my call. I reported what I saw and she said she would dispatch an officer ASAP. She took my name and number. We waited 1 hour (over 1 1/2 hrs from the time of the accident). No officer. The officer called me 3 days later for a report. Thankfully no one was injured. Needless to say, my wife and I don't have alot of faith in the 911 system.

voodoomedman
12-05-2007, 08:31 AM
2 years ago I witnessed a hit & run. I called 911 and was put on hold. 15 mins later I hung up and called 911 again only to be placed on hold again. I waited 5 mins, hung up a called again. This time I told them not to put me on hold. They asked me if it was life threating and I said no. Guess what.....I was on hold AGAIN! This time it was 12 mins when the operator finally took my call. I reported what I saw and she said she would dispatch an officer ASAP. She took my name and number. We waited 1 hour (over 1 1/2 hrs from the time of the accident). No officer. The officer called me 3 days later for a report. Thankfully no one was injured. Needless to say, my wife and I don't have alot of faith in the 911 system.
The CHP 911 system is overloaded because that's where all cell phone 911 calls go. They are working on technology so it goes to the nearest police department if you are in a city so you get to who you need in the first place instead of CHP 911 basically being a switchboard operator.

yopengo
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Your just happy we laid off the Jeep thingy. :D
I wonder if they tazered Nord when he didn't have exact change to pay for the damages?
I wonder if a gas station is a tazer free zone...:idea: :D

MBlaster
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Don't ever expect the cops to protect you or your family if things get bad.

wright27
12-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Get yourself a pellet gun. Next time you see them, shoot the can.:D

YeLLowBoaT
12-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Get yourself a pellet gun. Next time you see them, shoot the can.:D
Now this I like.

superdave013
12-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I would not go after them yourself unless you want to get shot by a 15 year old kid.
I know all about doing the stand up thing and all. But you have to pick the battles that really matter. And getting shot over a Del Taco sign is not one of them.
I know a 16 year old girl that's a gang banger. And she would have shot you in a heart beat over that. I said would have because she is locked up in prision now. Scary, the most cold blooded person I know is a fairly attractive 16 year old girl.

robk
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I had a similar situation a few months back -- witnessed a guy doing about 50 in a 35 weaving in and out of rush-hour traffic drinking a Corona with a bunch of empties on the floor (I was close enough to him to tell that it was actually Corona Light). He was swerving all over the place, crossing the double yellows, and basically seconds from a head-on TC. He made a left without looking and almost hit two oncoming cars and a pedestrian in the crosswalk, and then stomped on the gas and took off to an estimated 60-70 in a residential area. At this point I had his description, the car's description, plate, etc and decided no way am I going to chase him at that speed. I call 911 on my cell phone, give them all the details above, where he's headed, etc, and they tell me "sorry, we don't have anyone to send out".
Lesson learned: call 411 and get the local PD's number.
Rob

Wet Dream
12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Next time, you know to tell dispatch that they also have guns.

Ziggy
12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
They will run like jack rabbits if camera flashes suddenly are pointed in their direction.....

TRUMP TIGHT
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Paintball gun...:D:D:D:D hit em with one and they get the point!!

USCFAN
12-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I would not go after them yourself unless you want to get shot by a 15 year old kid.
I know all about doing the stand up thing and all. But you have to pick the battles that really matter. And getting shot over a Del Taco sign is not one of them.
I know a 16 year old girl that's a gang banger. And she would have shot you in a heart beat over that. I said would have because she is locked up in prision now. Scary, the most cold blooded person I know is a fairly attractive 16 year old girl.
I agree with this statement. Some knuckleheads spray painting a Del Taco sign sure and the hell is not worth getting shot.

totenhosen
12-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Damn, I call the police in my city when the azz of a neighbor parks in red (who BTW is the one who complained to get it painted red) and they come in 5 minutes. THis is also calling on the non-emergecny line.
Don't confront them as you might end up getting shot. (Unless of course you have a gun.)
Yup, you can't call 911 on the cell phone as it goes to CHP. Need to call 411 and get the local police dept #.

SB
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't confront them as you might end up getting shot. (Unless of course you have a gun.)
Not bashing you, but remember: having a gun doesn't make you bullet proof.

Baja Big Dog
12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Acid etching paint balls...yep, thats the answer, shoot the little douche bags with an acid etching paint ball, and when they go the the hospital, the cops show up and wiola!!!!:D :D :D :D
Flame away!!!!
Notice the smiley faces...

Tremor Therapy
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
There were 3 of them (that I could see) and I know better than to try and confront them. That is why I parked in the gas station accross from the field, and kept calling to update them.
The sad part is that my teenage daughter was acting disgusted that I would sit in the parking lot and wait for the cops. She was of the opinion that no one was going to come, and that if they did, they wouldn't do anything anyway.
Now I spent nearly the entire 25 minutes trying to explain to her that if the good people of the world just turn their backs and don't try and stop this kind of behavior, then it will just continue to grow and grow. I tried to tell her that you have to do something about it, and not wait until something bad has to happen to you or your family! Decent people need to stand up and start showing the punks of the world that this sh*t is unacceptable, and that it won't be tolerated.
Now I agree, face to face could very well result in something bad happening, so I made a choice to sit and watch and keep calling. It didn't have any effect this time, but I let my family know that I will continue because I care, and I don't want to be the one who could have done something, something that may keep me or my neighbor from having to experience this crap on a personal level!

totenhosen
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Not bashing you, but remember: having a gun doesn't make you bullet proof.
True. My only point was if they have a gun and you don't your in trouble from the get-go.

RitcheyRch
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Thats what I need. Need to shoot people driving 60+ on my street. :D :D :D
Paintball gun...:D:D:D:D hit em with one and they get the point!!

Ziggy
12-05-2007, 11:35 AM
San Marcos just last week basically outlawed gang members from walking down the street, hanging out, carrying pens, etc... They are just going to Vista to pull thier crap. It was stupid of San Marcos to think that making these new laws or whatever are going to help if all they do is make it someone elses problem.
Every city in the area should make the same rules at the same time. Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, Oceanside, etc...Oceanside has specific gang members banned from areas of trouble, a few others cities are following suit like San Marcos. Between where the Home Depot is and Twin Oaks and the train tracks....but its ok for them to go by the theatres and harrass people:rolleyes:
I suppose the theory is that as they disperse and thin out their aggressiveness fades.

HavasuSelect
12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
That's exactly what happened earlier this year in Pico Rivera I believe...
You're right, it was an older woman that got shot and killed for flashing her high beams at the taggers.
You said yourself it was not an emergency. 911 is for life and death emergencies only. I'm sure you realize calls are handled by priority and by the time they are received. Maybe it was a busy day? Maybe they were working on another emergency?
The CHP 911 system is overloaded because that's where all cell phone 911 calls go. They are working on technology so it goes to the nearest police department if you are in a city so you get to who you need in the first place instead of CHP 911 basically being a switchboard operator.
This is true, and it's already started to happen. When you call from a cell phone, your exact location doesn't appear. This is in the early phases so there are still some flaws. Sometimes a cell phone tower will direct the call to the wrong police agency.

SOCALDETAIL1
12-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Yea the lady that got killed in Pico was not to far from where I live. I know a sheriff that was investigating that murder and what he told me these taggers have what they call snipers, that hide out and if anyone rolls up on the taggers the snipers take them out. So my advice is just call the PD and keep driving. I know alot of citirs like Whittier and West Covina offer $500 bucks if you call the cops and they catch them. But my life is worth more then $500.

Ziggy
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
We've programmed the local PD non-emergency ph# into our cell phones.

topless
12-05-2007, 12:02 PM
We've programmed the local PD non-emergency ph# into our cell phones.
Who remembers this........."Operator, get me the police"

XFactor
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=HavasuSelect;2928033]
You said yourself it was not an emergency. 911 is for life and death emergencies only. I'm sure you realize calls are handled by priority and by the time they are received. Maybe it was a busy day? Maybe they were working on another emergency?
[QUOTE]
You're right I did say it wasn't an emergency, but they didn't know that the first 2 times I called. 20 mins of hold time. Could you imagine if it were a home invasion. :jawdrop: :mad:

topless
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Could you imagine if it were a home invasion. :jawdrop: :mad:Yeah, Joe Horn wouldn't be in trouble right now if it took then 20 minutes to answer.

Tremor Therapy
12-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Ok so let me make this a little clearer, I knew it wasn't an emergency, and after waiting at least 5-10 minutes on hold in the parking lot, I was transfered to the Vista Sheriff's station. I gave them the specifics, and they said they were dispatching a deputy right then. It was after I got in touch with the Sheriff's department that I waited the 25 minutes, and it was during that 25 minute time frame I called and relayed new information.
I know it was not an emergency, but I was transferred to the Sheriff's station, and I didn't read about any issues in the paper this morning that would have required a "calling all cars" emergency. I am not banging on the Sheriff's department, just that 25-35 minutes is a long time to wait if you are trying to catch scum bags ruining other peoples property.
Do you think they would have allowed Joe to shoot someone defacing public property? :idea:

HavasuSelect
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
You're right I did say it wasn't an emergency, but they didn't know that the first 2 times I called. 20 mins of hold time. Could you imagine if it were a home invasion. :jawdrop: :mad:
God forbid that ever happens, but if it does your best off dialing from a land line. Land line's usually get directed to your local Police/Sheriff and answering time is usually dramatically quicker.
You most likely went to CHP's 911 dispatch. I agree with you on the slow response to their answering of 911 calls. Their system is overloaded and flawed.
As others stated it's best to program your local Police/Sheriffs direct line into your cell phone. For that matter it's best to program all the cities you frequent into your phone.