PDA

View Full Version : Maui

adjones419
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
So we're leaving for Maui a month from tomorrow. I've never been, but I'm really looking forward to the trip. Don't ask me where we're staying, because the women in the family made all of the arrangements. I just want to know the hotspots and the cool things to do. Thanks!

Ziggy
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Try this site and get the book......its the best and most intricately detailed book you'll ever find that will point you to places 90+% of tourists will never even know about.
Have fun, been there numerous times and it never gets old.
http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

blown dough
12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Lahania great shops and restaurants. Big beach, awesome beach!!! Have fun, this is a great time of year to go!!!

photo chick
12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Drive the "Road to Hana" it's a hairy drive but really fun to manouver and it's beautiful. It takes pretty much all day b/c of the traffic but well worth it. Stop at some of the waterfalls along the way and go hiking, great for picture taking!!
You also have to drive up to the top of the volcano, I believe it's something like 10,000 ft at the top. You can then ride bikes to the bottom, looks fun but haven't done it.
Now, since I'm quite a bit older than you what I think is fun might differ so keep that in mind!
Have fun......I'm jealous!! :D
One more thing..if you need a tour guide I am available....;)

adjones419
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Drive the "Road to Hana" it's a hairy drive but really fun to manouver and it's beautiful. It takes pretty much all day b/c of the traffic but well worth it. Stop at some of the waterfalls along the way and go hiking, great for picture taking!!
You also have to drive up to the top of the volcano, I believe it's something like 10,000 ft at the top. You can then ride bikes to the bottom, looks fun but haven't done it.
Now, since I'm quite a bit older than you what I think is fun might differ so keep that in mind!
Have fun......I'm jealous!! :D
One more thing..if you need a tour guide I am available....;)
Thanks for all of the input, guys and gals. Everything sounds like fun! Photo Chick, you're pretty small...I have a big suitcase. :idea:

photo chick
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all of the input, guys and gals. Everything sounds like fun! Photo Chick, you're pretty small...I have a big suitcase. :idea:
Cool where should I be and when....;)

OnlyMoney
12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
We went 3 times this last year, the final trip was for our wedding in July. :)
I read on here a while ago that everyone said "go to Mama's...you gotta eat at Mama's". It's now a guaranteed stop on every trip. Great food and you kind of feel like you're at a palce only Disneyland could have made. We go for lunch because there isn't much of a view at night. It's AWESOME!!
Lahaina is the big touristy area and you'll end up there more than once. I've done the submarine trip twice now and the last time we went we were bombarded by dolphin activity...it was VERY cool!!! :)
You'll have fun. There isn't much of a nightlife unless you're near a major hotel. Most of it is very low-key...kind of the Hawaiian way.

BajaMike
12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Maui is my favorite island, and I've been to most of them many times. It really has everything.:idea:
The road to Hana is beautiful, but it seems like a long and winding road if you're sitting in the back seat.....kids and wives in the back often get car sick. You need to stop alot and check out the cool farms, coves and waterfalls. There is not much to do once you get there except maybe have lunch at the Hana Inn (expensive) or go to the black sand beach and the seven pools.
These pics are from Honalua Bay (a great snorkling place), just a short drive up the coast in Maui....these pics were taken in the summer, in the winter, I have heard they have huge surf, so it might not be so good, but it is still beautiful!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44573&stc=1&d=1196912596
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44574&stc=1&d=1196912676
Just drive north, up the coast road, it's about one mile up the road from the Ritz-Carlton.

H2O
12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
We just got back (third time this year, woohoo) and it's always hard to leave!
What are you interests? Beach, hiking, nightlife, dining, watersports, nature?
The Whales should be there by then. You can almost always hear them singing underwater when snorkeling - if you take a minute to quiet your breathing and listen closely. (Especially on South Maui, near Wailea) A great place to see the whales, without even going on a boat, is the red lava hill between Big Beach and Little Beach in Makena. They come amazingly close to shore there. Sometimes there are also pods of spinner dolphins in the same area if you go early in the morning. Park at the first lot at Big Beach and walk to the right when you get on onto the beach. You'll see a trail of people climbing up the lava hill to Little Beach.
If you have a good tolerance for hippy types (and Pachtouli Oil) the drum circle/firedancing on Little Beach Sunday afternoons at sunset is a kick!

adjones419
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Cool where should I be and when....;)
St. Louis on December 4th. We're flying to LA to spend 2 days with some family, and then we'll take the trip over the drink.

Ziggy
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Maui is my favorite island, and I've been to most of them many times. It really has everything.:idea:
The road to Hana is beautiful, but it seems like a long and winding road if you're sitting in the back seat.....kids and wives in the back often get car sick. You need to stop alot and check out the cool farms, coves and waterfalls. There is not much to do once you get there except maybe have lunch at the Hana Inn (expensive) or go to the black sand beach and the seven pools.
These pics are from Honalua Bay (a great snorkling place), just a short drive up the coast in Maui....these pics were taken in the summer, in the winter, I have heard they have huge surf, so it might not be so good, but it is still beautiful!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44573&stc=1&d=1196912596
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44574&stc=1&d=1196912676
Just drive north, up the coast road, it's about one mile up the road from the Ritz-Carlton.
We were there in November once and the waves were pounding, that was before the Ritz or the highway bypass was built.

adjones419
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
We went 3 times this last year, the final trip was for our wedding in July. :)
I read on here a while ago that everyone said "go to Mama's...you gotta eat at Mama's". It's now a guaranteed stop on every trip. Great food and you kind of feel like you're at a palce only Disneyland could have made. We go for lunch because there isn't much of a view at night. It's AWESOME!!
Lahaina is the big touristy area and you'll end up there more than once. I've done the submarine trip twice now and the last time we went we were bombarded by dolphin activity...it was VERY cool!!! :)
You'll have fun. There isn't much of a nightlife unless you're near a major hotel. Most of it is very low-key...kind of the Hawaiian way.
Low-key sounds great, especially after the past few months.

BajaMike
12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Moose McGillycuddy's Pub & Café is the place to go at night in Lahaina if you want to party...........other then that, Lahaina has a bunch of good places to eat and lots of bars, art galleries and shops.
http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/moose_mc/branch2/events/
:D

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:12 PM
St. Louis on December 4th. We're flying to LA to spend 2 days with some family, and then we'll take the trip over the drink.
Rut Roh..... since today is the 5th I believe we are both going to be late! :jawdrop:

Havasu1986
12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Rut Roh..... since today is the 5th I believe we are both going to be late! :jawdrop:
I think he meant Jan 4th. :rolleyes:

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I think he meant Jan 4th. :rolleyes:
I figured.....I have to give the scholar a hard time!! :D

Havasu1986
12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
I figured.....I have to give the scholar a hard time!! :D
Pssttt. ..He can't be that smart. He lives in Illinois. :eek: :D

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Pssttt. ..He can't be that smart. He lives in Illinois. :eek: :D
Very good point!! :D

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Dammit, I can't catch a break! January 4th is what I meant, thanks Havasu.
And you're right, anyone who chooses to live in Illinois needs a psych evaluation. Unfortunately, it's where I was born and I'm getting a free Master's degree with my current situation. As soon as I have that finished, you can bet the farm that I'll be relocating. :D

Buster
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
So we're leaving for Maui a month from tomorrow. I've never been, but I'm really looking forward to the trip. Don't ask me where we're staying, because the women in the family made all of the arrangements. I just want to know the hotspots and the cool things to do. Thanks!
We are also heading to Maui. We are leaving on the 7th till the 12th. Staying over at the Grand Wailea, can't wait... How long you going to be there ???

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Dammit, I can't catch a break! January 4th is what I meant, thanks Havasu.
And you're right, anyone who chooses to live in Illinois needs a psych evaluation. Unfortunately, it's where I was born and I'm getting a free Master's degree with my current situation. As soon as I have that finished, you can bet the farm that I'll be relocating. :D
Easy fella.....don't be stressin' out on us Adam, :) you are the one off to Maui so I'm not feelin' sorry for you!! ;)

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:37 PM
We are also heading to Maui. We are leaving on the 7th till the 12th. Staying over at the Grand Wailea, can't wait... How long you going to be there ???
We'll be there until the 13th. Maybe a ***boat get together is in order.

Havasu1986
12-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Of Dec or Jan. :confused: :eek: :D

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Easy fella.....don't be stressin' out on us Adam, :) you are the one off to Maui so I'm not feelin' sorry for you!! ;)
I know, I have no reason to complain. After Tuesday, I'll be done with school and teaching for about a month...should give me some time to get some work done on the Mako. :D

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
hee hee! :D
I know, I have no reason to complain. After Tuesday, I'll be done with school and teaching for about a month...should give me some time to get some work done on the Mako. :D
What is your Master's in?

Classic Daycruiser
12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Take the heliocopter ride to Molaki to see the sea cliffs. Also the southeast end of Maui is George Harrisons Estate (Hana).
I also rented a Cessna a the local airport and took a trip over to he big island to see the lava flows. Be sure to save a day or two just hang on the beach/pool and relax.

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
January...I think. :idea: :confused:

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Take the heliocopter ride to Molaki to see the sea cliffs. Also the southeast end of Maui is George Harrisons Estate (Hana).
I also rented a Cessna a the local airport and took a trip over to he big island to see the lava flows. Be sure to save a day or two just hang on the beach/pool and relax.
I'm going to save more than a day or two for relaxing on the beach. The helicopter ride sounds like fun.

adjones419
12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
What is your Master's in?
Geography & Environmental Resources with a concentration in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Cool stuff! :D

photo chick
12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Geography & Environmental Resources with a concentration in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Cool stuff! :D
Wow cool.................... auh what's that? j/k!!:D

adjones419
12-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow cool.................... auh what's that? j/k!!:D
Simply put, I make maps and look at satellite photos.

Buster
12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
For sure... I will PM you some contact info....

adjones419
12-05-2007, 09:11 PM
For sure... I will PM you some contact info....
Good deal!

Markos
12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
We leave Christmas day and return Jan. 8. I love Maui, used to live there 79-80 experenced a great hurricane on newyear back then. I worked at the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina. lost all kinds of boats off the roadstead anchored offshore. We are staying in a condo in Kehi and thenn go to Hana for 2 days at the Bamboo Inn,then Turtle Bay on north shore Oahu. It's almost Summer!!!!!

laveycrafter
12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Mamas fish house before the Hana Highway, $$$$$, but sooooo worth it,
and on the "dirt" part of the Hana Hwy, there is cool little house on the top of a hill that serves the coldest sierra nevada. It's one of the only houses out there, it has a hut, and garden area where they grow the prettiest 5 leaved plants, I think they smoke that stuff.:D

rmarion
12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
ZipLine above Lahina!!!!!!!!!!

Newcastle
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Sweeeeeeet....I leave for Maui this Friday morning. Never been anywhere in Hawaii and I'm stoked to go. Gonna be there for 8 days.
This thread has been very helpful....thanks a bunch!!!!

adjones419
12-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Sweeeeeeet....I leave for Maui this Friday morning. Never been anywhere in Hawaii and I'm stoked to go. Gonna be there for 8 days.
This thread has been very helpful....thanks a bunch!!!!
Have fun! You can add some more information when you get back.