PDA

View Full Version : CNC Mills

v-drive
12-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Ok Machinists, My boss just told me to start looking for a mill.
I am partial to the Haas VF 2 but am open to any recomendations.

Warp Speed
12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Pretty hard to beat a Haas for the money.
We have a bunch of them here and are real happy with them.
I have 2 Haas lathes at home and have been real happy with both the product and service (or lack of need so far!).
You being fairly close to the factory doesn't hurt either!!
Warp Speed ;)

porkbelly
12-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Are you looking for used or new? I sell used equipment in so cal. Let mw know If I can help.

v-drive
12-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I am shopping for new but thanks..v-drive

Moneypitt
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Yes I agree, Haas is more bang for the buck.....I would however reccomend going bigger. the VF 4 will do just about anything you MAY want to do in the future. The 2 will leave a little to be desired in "Y" and "Z", where the 4 has so much travel you won't have buyers remorse about "we should have bought the bigger one"...........Just my .02 about "what I would do".......Ray

wsuwrhr
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Yes I agree, Haas is more bang for the buck.....I would however reccomend going bigger. the VF 4 will do just about anything you MAY want to do in the future. The 2 will leave a little to be desired in "Y" and "Z", where the 4 has so much travel you won't have buyers remorse about "we should have bought the bigger one"...........Just my .02 about "what I would do".......Ray
I am a full-court-press HAAS cheerleader.
Agreed, you are welcome to come by and check out a 4 month old VF4. I would sell it to a serious buyer RIGHT NOW, as I have already out-grown it and I am considering purchasing a VF5. I haven't decided if I can afford two machine payments.
My shop is in Riverside just south-east of the 15 and 60 fwys.
You can call anytime at 909-238-3134.
Brian

v-drive
12-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Agreed, you are welcome to come by and check out a 4 month old VF4. I would sell it to a serious buyer RIGHT NOW, as I have already out-grown it and I am considering purchasing a VF5. I haven't decided if I can afford two machine payments.
Brian
We would like to come out and look sometime if that's ok. I really want a new machine though. What speeds are you running or do you have one with the gearbox. We have a vendor that had a haas and whenever he was late he would blame the gearbox on the haas. He got new machinery(not haas) and still blames the machines. I think he's telling stories, but this is one reason we are getting our own machine or two I haven't made up my bosses mind yet... v-drive

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 08:07 AM
We would like to come out and look sometime if that's ok. I really want a new machine though. What speeds are you running or do you have one with the gearbox. We have a vendor that had a haas and whenever he was late he would blame the gearbox on the haas. He got new machinery(not haas) and still blames the machines. I think he's telling stories, but this is one reason we are getting our own machine or two I haven't made up my bosses mind yet... v-drive
You are welcome anytime
No gearbox and little maintenance issues either.

C.Fisher
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
We run all Haas here to. Ranging from Mini mills to a VF6-50. As already mentioned get as much table travel as you can afford also if is still an option get the side mount tool changer. The machines have good reliability and when Haas service is needed they are usually out with 2 bussisness days and have the machine back up.

YeLLowBoaT
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Brian
doesn't the Vf4 have like 4ft of x 1.5 ft of y and 2 ft of z?
( I help install one about 5 months ago)

superdave013
12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I'll make you a deal on my Bandit. lol

v-drive
12-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll make you a deal on my Bandit. lol
You're a giver Dave. You just got a new name dude lol.:D v-drive

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 11:55 AM
doesn't the Vf4 have like 4ft of x 1.5 ft of y and 2 ft of z?
( I help install one about 5 months ago)
50 X 20 X 25
Brian
GET A SIDE MOUNT TOOL CHANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would never own one without it.

YeLLowBoaT
12-07-2007, 12:01 PM
So I take it you need more y? ( I'm shocked I actually remember the numbers pretty damn close after months)

@theRVR
12-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Ok Machinists, My boss just told me to start looking for a mill.
I am partial to the Haas VF 2 but am open to any recomendations.
If you don't need accuracy and repeat ability the haas will do and it will help Gene to pay for his lawyer.:jawdrop:
Ever looked at a Makino?

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 04:17 PM
If you don't need accuracy and repeat ability the haas will do Ever looked at a Makino?
Laughs.

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 04:20 PM
So I take it you need more y? ( I'm shocked I actually remember the numbers pretty damn close after months)
I am doing some plate work and I have to rotate the part 180 deg and machine a single hole because it is over the travel of the Y axis.
1/16 of an inch more travel and I would be able to do it.
I saved 3 or 4K not getting a VF5, I caught "two footer" syndrome two weeks after I took delivery of the machine.
Brian

v-drive
12-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I know the 2 would work for the medical device company but we have other ventures where I know the 4 could be used. Thanks for all the input guys
this site is the best.:D v-drive

Bow Tie Omega
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I know the 2 would work for the medical device company but we have other ventures where I know the 4 could be used. Thanks for all the input guys
this site is the best.:D v-drive
Ah, more toys for the toy shop:D Tell Tony that Brian and I need a key to the shop. If he tell you no, just let him know I will be inheriting all of those tools in there one day, which kind of makes them mine, right? :D :D :D So all kidding aside, what are you making my boat for Christmas?

v-drive
12-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Funny man,We are probably going to re-design the whole shop. We are considering taking a wall out and taking over the stockroom, moving the conventional equipment in there and making the existing side all cnc. pop