PDA

View Full Version : Bakersfield Real Estate, who knew?

bigq
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
sales tank..er..yeah it's Bakersfield...
Party has ended now that home prices have hit ceiling
By The Bakersfield Californian | Saturday, Mar 4 2006 9:35 PM
Last Updated: Saturday, Mar 4 2006 9:39 PM
What are we going to talk about?
We're back to the weather, children and Oscar picks.
I'm talking about real estate. It's in the tank. It's not just quiet, it's cratered.
This has been fun, hasn't it? Just think, you were rich. For three years the sky was the limit and the ceiling kept getting higher.
One minute, your house was worth $250,000 and a month later, you were cresting three bills. We were moguls. We patted ourselves on the backs so much that we were starting to leave handprints.
It hasn't always been like this. If you have lived in Bakersfield longer than five years, you probably developed an inherent modesty about real estate appreciation.
If you were fortunate to own a house and it was time to sell, you were happy to make a small profit. Break even. If nothing else, please God, don't let me lose money.
Houses were different then. People actually lived in them. Grew up in them, raised their children in them and entertained their friends in them.
We made our peace with friends and family who lived in Northern and Southern California. The lucky ones who enjoyed fantastic upswings in their net worth. Every year, they were $100,000 richer. We could hear the corks popping, we just weren't invited to the party.
This was Bakersfield. We liked living here, so did three of our friends. Houses were as plentiful as tumbleweeds.
Affordable housing. That was our mantra. It was good for the town's spirit. People could afford to live here.
When prices skyrocketed, one of the first things that went bye-bye was cheap housing. People said things like: "I'm happy about the appreciation, but the days of affordable housing are over. It's too bad."
No, it isn't. Once you're on the Love Boat, your sympathy for the less fortunate wanes as you drift farther toward the islands. Even if those waving on the shore are some of your own children.
The point is houses went from something you lived in to the smartest thing you'd ever done. The best investment you'd ever made. Why not borrow against them because they are going to keep going up forever?
That's all we talked about. Real estate replaced weather as the single most popular subject in Bakersfield. Instead of, "What do you think of this heat," it became, "Have you heard what so and so's house sold for?"
It was fun. Life was beautiful. We had joined the party.
Now real estate is flatter than a pancake. A friend told me that heads were rolling in a couple of the title companies. More and more, you see the word "reduced" on real estate signs.
The air has gone out of the balloon. More than that, with the sparkle gone from real estate, there is a bigger problem: First, how are are we going to pay off those huge home equity loans that paid for our jacuzzi upgrades?
More importantly: What do we talk about? Are we going to be forced to discuss things that really matter again? I'm not sure how long we can keep that up.
It's a matter of appreciation. Or in this case, the lack thereof.

Outnumbered
03-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Someone sounds bitter :cry:

Racer277
03-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Herb is a kook.
He writes a column about trees, leaves, lamps, whatever.
It's for old folks.
It's true. With all the new house tracts in town (over 100), the price of housing is depressed. New and used.
A new 3/2 is starting in the high 200's, depending on where in town you want to be. We are a 1.5 hour drive to LA.
McMillan came into town and is turning out 500K houses in our neighborhood, we will see how that does.
It's ok with us.

Howie Feltersnatch
03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
And old folks are stupid and don't know anything about money or real estate markets or pretty much anything because they're old right?

Mrs.Racer277
03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
And old folks are stupid and don't know anything about money or real estate markets or pretty much anything because they're old right?
That is not what was said. Reread. :)

callbob4homes
03-06-2006, 04:16 PM
as a real estate agent, I have to say that was a pretty good article. He is right on about alot of stuff. The party is over, some sellers don't get it yet is why you see reduced signs all the time now. Peeps cashing out equity for toys, instead of just enjoying the show. Don't know much about Bakersfield market, but as for here in Az., it's back to business as usual thank god. The multi offers for over asking price (some to fall out later because it wouldn't appraise) the HOR (hours on market) instead of DOM (days on market) and such are gone and I for one am glad of it. Now how 'bout the weather huh?

Racer277
03-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Here is another of Herb's columns, you be the judge:
I exuded 'uphereness' but it didn't help
By The Bakersfield Californian | Saturday, Feb 18 2006 12:00 AM
Last Updated: Saturday, Feb 18 2006 6:20 PM
Before I started my speech, there were two men sitting in the middle of the church who were already asleep.
"Wait a minute, you can't go to sleep yet," I thought. "I haven't even started."
Recently, I gave the eulogy for former sheriff, Charlie Dodge. The service took place at the First Presbyterian Church. Lunch was served afterward -- cold cuts and salads.
I'd never given a eulogy before. I started sweating about 10 days ago. Night sweats, day sweats and "I can't mess this up" sweats.
"We'd like you to speak for 15 minutes," said Charlie's daughter, Joan Shannon.
Fifteen minutes. Depending on the strength of your material, fifteen minutes is either 14 minutes too long or an hour and a half too short.
We've all been to the funerals where the minister or eulogist reads the obit verbatim. You might as well scent the programs with chloroform. That or pass out sheets.
I'd never been behind the pulpit before. I could get used to that. I glared at people as they filed in.
"I'm up here and you're down there. I am infused with 'uphereness' and you reek of 'downthereness'."
Stephen Wing, the minister from First Presbyterian, was the master of ceremonies. Wing was the tallest preacher I'd ever seen. If you were going to start an all-preacher team, I might put Wing at center. Either that or the No. 2 forward.
I read the program and saw that I was sharing eulogy duties with Police Chief Bill Rector and Sheriff MackWimbish. Now, we were in the danger zone for material crossover. When Rector walked to the podium for his turn and took out five sheets of binder paper, my heart sank at least six feet.
Both Wing and I discovered the secret to public speaking after listening to Rector: Carry a sidearm. No one will dare talk and the audience can't afford to look around.
If you're visibly packing and your material lags, the audience is still thinking, "This guy has a gun. If I fall asleep, he might fire a warning shot over my head."
I'm not sure ministers shouldn't start their sermons by opening the Bible and then laying their 45s on the pulpit. If the amens are slow in coming, pick up the gun, spin the chamber, and gently place one finger on the trigger. Worshippers would sing like canaries. My turn. The two men in the middle pews were still asleep. How did they know I wasn't armed? There was no reason I couldn't have a concealed weapons permit.
I talked about the Craftsman mower Charlie had given me that always started.
The idea was to draw a parallel between the mower's reliability and Charlie's. I looked at the audience to see how my metaphor was going over.
The two men were still slumped over in the middle pew and the rest of the audience appeared confused.
"A mower? I thought he was going to say something about Charlie."
I plowed on. I mentioned the fig trees in our neighborhood that Charlie gleaned because he was usually up before I was. The idea was that Charlie was a hard worker and he was thorough.
I looked at the audience. I detected panic in the eyes of the family in the front row. The fig trees joined the mower in the dead metaphor file.
After the speech, I sat down. No one clapped.
Was no one clapping because it was bad or was this not a clapping sort of event?
If it had been, would they have? I'll guarantee you one thing: If I had a gun, I would have gotten a standing ovation and they would have thrown rice.
I said goodbye to the family on the way out. They seemed relieved.
They did not walk alone.

MagicMtnDan
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
My take on it is that the problem with that area is there's plenty of land (puh-len-tee). Lots of land means lots of development when the prices will support margins that make developers start their projects.
It's supply and demand. As the prices went up they crossed over a certain price point making building housing tracts profitable. More houses were built meaning more supply. As they were bought the demand slowed (also due to a job market that isn't keeping up with new home starts). Over supply makes for soft prices. New housing starts don't help owners sell their homes.
Once again, if you're buying a house where there's still plenty of property don't expect to be able to sell at a higher price for quite a while.

Racer277
03-06-2006, 04:58 PM
When the median home price topped 200K, everyone freaked.
"How will people afford homes?!?"
I believe that it briefly went above 300K last year.
Now it's back down to 285K median sales price.
:) :)

sdpm
03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Last year when we went to Ming for the races, We went into the Mc Millin homes that were being built out their. When she (sales person) told us the prices, I damned near choked! Homes on the outskirts of Bakersfield selling for $475,000. Now that Mesa Marin is shut down, I saw markers all over that area for development. There is going to be alot of homes out there with no roads to support them. I never would have thought this would happen out there. Country homes? Yes. Multi tract homes? Never! Where's the Walmart going to go?

chub
03-06-2006, 06:57 PM
OIL used to drive this economy. What drives it now???

Mrs.Racer277
03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Last year when we went to Ming for the races, We went into the Mc Millin homes that were being built out their. When she (sales person) told us the prices, I damned near choked! Homes on the outskirts of Bakersfield selling for $475,000. Now that Mesa Marin is shut down, I saw markers all over that area for development. There is going to be alot of homes out there with no roads to support them. I never would have thought this would happen out there. Country homes? Yes. Multi tract homes? Never! Where's the Walmart going to go?
$475,000 is the cheapest you will find there now. :rollside: Walmart is already there. :rolleyes: :)

sdpm
03-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Wow! That was fast. Is the race track gone yet?

Brian Ray
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Here are some interesting articles....
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/Homebuyingguide/P85324.asp
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/Homebuyingguide/P85323.asp
Bakersfield is doing just fine..... :) At least in my neck of the woods.....

Racer277
03-06-2006, 09:41 PM
OIL used to drive this economy. What drives it now???
Oil, Out of Town investors, Quick LA Commute, Service, Ag.
In that order.

Racer277
03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Wow! That was fast. Is the race track gone yet?
Mesa Marin is gone. It's depressing to look at. :mad:
We still have a few other tracks.

Mrs.Racer277
03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Is that the area where right before you go into the Canyons to head towards Tehachipi/Isabella?
Yep

Mr. Pixilated
03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Yep
Shouldn't you be get'n ready for work, missy...

Dave C
03-07-2006, 08:36 AM
we don't call that kookiness... that is eccentric ... there is a difference ;) ;)
we got plenty of those "types" up here. Can I send you some?
Herb is a kook.
He writes a column about trees, leaves, lamps, whatever.
It's for old folks.

Racer277
03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Last time I was up there on my bike I noticied that area. Wasn't there a riding area for the off-road bikes? Did they build a lot of homes there also?
Yeah, McMillin came in and is building ALOT of houses in our corner of town. All the riding is getting fenced off, it's a constant run to stay ahead of the cops.
we don't call that kookiness... that is eccentric ... there is a difference ;) ;)
we got plenty of those "types" up here. Can I send you some?
Ha Ha, sorry full up here...