PDA

View Full Version : No barn doors on newer Suburbans?

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Is it true that barn doors are no longer an option on newer Suburbans? We were looking at trading our 2003 in for a newer model but I've always prefered the barn doors for convienence and towing over the liftgates, am I the only one? What model year did they stop offering them as an option?

Jbb
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Perhaps you would like an Escalade...?

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
You got one for sale? Can it seat 4 and still have room for my 572 in the back?

uvindex
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
A Chevy sales guy told me the same thing when I was browsing at '07 Suburbans on the lot while having my '04 Suburban serviced. I think they went away with the new (current) body style of the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Yukon XL.
I'm also a barn door guy -- had them on my 99 Tahoe, 01 Suburban and now my 04 Suburban. I like 'em! :)

Jbb
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
You got one for sale? Can it seat 4 and still have room for my 572 in the back?
Yes....and it has a roof rack for the 572...!

RiverToysJas
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
That sucks......I have & prefer barn doors as well. :(
BUT I decided a while ago, I'll probably replace my '99 4wd Tahoe with a crew cab truck someday, and not a Suburban or another Tahoe.
RTJas :D

whiteworks
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Ive had barn doors on my last 2 surburbans. I was looking at getting a new one, but no barn doors = no sale:(

3 daytona`s
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Is it true that barn doors are no longer an option on newer Suburbans? We were looking at trading our 2003 in for a newer model but I've always prefered the barn doors for convienence and towing over the liftgates, am I the only one? What model year did they stop offering them as an option?
Always enjoyed leaning over a tailgate on a Suburban or Blazer and have a nice dirt line on pants:idea: :eek:

Bite the Bullet
12-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The 08 GMC Yukon brochure I have only mentions the liftgate as being standard on Yukons and Yukon XLs. The only option discussed is that of a power liftgate. Barn doors are not mentioned as an option.

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes....and it has a roof rack for the 572...!
I don't think Ron's forklift goes that high.

Jbb
12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't think Ron's forklift goes that high.
....Then he needs a new forklift...:D

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I guess I'll be keeping my 03 a bit longer then. They sell lots of suburbans as commercial vehicles you would think they would have kept the barn doors at least for those. I guess they want us to buy one of those fugly full size vans that won't fit in the garage in order to get barn doors.

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
....Then he needs a new forklift...:D
I'll discuss it with him next time I talk to him. He needs one like the have at the drydock storage marinas

brianthomas
12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
The barn doors were great but only compared to the lift glass and drop down tailgate. The new liftgate is just fine.

RiverToysJas
12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
The barn doors were great but only compared to the lift glass and drop down tailgate. The new liftgate is just fine.
Except.......as my wife points out.......you can't bump a liftgate closed with your hip when you're hands are full of groceries. :idea: Her Pilot has the lift gate, she prefers the barn doors.

Jbb
12-06-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll discuss it with him next time I talk to him. He needs one like the have at the drydock storage marinas
:jawdrop:
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44407&stc=1&d=1196767518

572Daytona
12-06-2007, 06:42 PM
I haven't really seen it, it's just one piece that lifts back and up? How much clearance behind the truck does it need? I used to tow with an explorer and had problems opening the gate with certain boats that don't have a lot of clearance between the tounge trailer and the bow of the boat.

brianthomas
12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Except.......as my wife points out.......you can't bump a liftgate closed with your hip when you're hands are full of groceries. :idea: Her Pilot has the lift gate, she prefers the barn doors.
She is correct that the old "butt close" nolonger works but at least you can reach inside which you could not do with the tailgate adding two feet to the length.

brianthomas
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
I haven't really seen it, it's just one piece that lifts back and up? How much clearance behind the truck does it need? I used to tow with an explorer and had problems opening the gate with certain boats that don't have a lot of clearance between the tounge trailer and the bow of the boat.
I had two Honda Pilots, actually nice cars, but they are cars. I just bought a new '08 Tahoe and you can close the rear hatch four different ways. Pull it down, push a button on the edge of the gate, push a button on the keyless remote or push a rocker switch on the overhead console between the driver and passenger. Not perfect but not bad.