PDA

View Full Version : I heard something about baffles in AZ

Keithb87
10-03-2003, 08:02 PM
I heard something about baffles being required for OT exhaust in Arizona. Is this true?
My fiance's Uncle and I are building a 17ft 6 Avenger with 502 BBC and are going to use Basset Twisties. (We like it loud.) What's the scoop?

Squirtcha?
10-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Not yet, but ya never know. We've got the same 92db laws (or whatever) as everyone else. They just aren't enforcing em much.
[ October 03, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Cole Sanger
10-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Yes it is true. At least that is how I read the law.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/5/00336.htm
5-336. Muffling devices
A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C.
B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section.
C. All watercraft actually competing in a regatta, boat race or official trials for speed records, and within the time limits authorized by the sanctioning body of such event are exempt from this section. Permits designating place and time limits are required and shall be issued by the department prior to the testing of watercraft on the water when sufficient evidence is provided by the applicant that such watercraft is actually entered in an event sanctioned by a national or regional organization having jurisdiction over the event.
I can't seem to find it, but I think the law is 86 or 89 decibles.

Cole Sanger
10-03-2003, 09:18 PM
I don't know if this is state wide, or just lake wide, but it says 82dB for Saguaro Lake.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/boating/LB-ROGs/mesa/SaguaroLake.pdf

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-05-2003, 02:03 PM
Cole Sanger:
I don't know if this is state wide, or just lake wide, but it says 82dB for Saguaro Lake.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/boating/LB-ROGs/mesa/SaguaroLake.pdf I run dry headewrs @ saguaro and they dont say anything to me. hell I even passed the law on 4th of juluy and the guy just looked at me like i was crazy. i guess he was too busy looking at the huge tail following me :D :D :D

Cole Sanger
10-05-2003, 09:41 PM
It's all on what the cop feels like that day. I would imagine that at the end of the month you might get a ticket for it. Know what I mean? That's promising that at Saguaro you didn't get screwed with. I have a friend that was messed with on his trailer at bartlet. He was just warming it up a little and the jerk came over and said don't even think about it. I am trying to sell my zoomies with baffles, and I haven't even had a chance to use them. I was afraid that they would give me tickets all day long with them.

SERIOUS ISSUES
10-06-2003, 11:50 AM
My wife got a ticket for no efective muffling device. the cop didn't see water coming out of the headers. we got off because he never looked to see if we had baffles and when DB tested us we were under 92.
you must have a mufling device either water or bafle and the boat must be under 92db.

Squirtcha?
10-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm surprised that you were under 92db without any baffles. I know mine wouldn't pass. The problem I had when a check was done at Bartlett is that he ran me at idle, and of course, I don't have any steam at idle. He let me off with a warning, luckily. I believe it was around 94 or 96 db.

572Daytona
10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
I've always wondered about the water at idle thing too. There is no way I can have water going through at idle without getting reversion, although I am running water at higher rpms. Will I get a ticket for this? I got ticketed for no baffles (which I now have) and basically the officer did a visual inspection with the motor not running. for water lines and baffles. He didn't mention any problems with my water lines.

1979tarva
10-06-2003, 05:34 PM
if i understand this right it says a device to muffle the sound right but on motorcycles they run open pipes because "loud pipes save lives" and all is good for them no matter what the situation. but a friend of mine had a similar problem on his bike so we welded in two bolts in the pipe to make it seem like there was something there like a muffler. it may work if they are far enoiugh down and all they are doing is sticking a stick in there to check.

Keithb87
10-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks to all you guys for the info. I guess we'll just put it together and take it to the water and see if the cops want to f**k with us.
It will be a while though since we started with a basket case.
I'm sure that I / we will have many more Questions in the near future.
Thanks again.
And thanks to Newbie Mike for turning me on to this site.
You guys are great.
Keithb87 :D

Cole Sanger
10-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Next time (if your engine isn't covered), tell him you don't have to have water injected headers. It says so right in his book 5-336 section B. My guess is that they are told from their trainer, who tells his student, who tells his student....that they have to see water comming out. I would bet that they don't know the law. Your going to piss him off though, so make sure you are following all the rules/regulations. I had the baffle problem once, I got off on that, but he wouldn't let me go on the 12"x12" throwable flotation device. I tried to say that my 4 extra life vests would be good. He didn't care. Hell, I have two fire extinguishers and 6 life vests for a 17'10" flat bottom. All depends on if the cops wife gave it up the night before jawdrop

Boater Bill
10-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Uh...last weekend HBJet got rolled for noise @ Parker. Cop said he was not allowed back unless he had baffles. eek!

1979tarva
10-07-2003, 06:40 PM
you know if its gonna be really bad just go somewhere else we go to lake mead all the time because its close to me and we rarely ever see the cops doing anything but towing in junk and taking care of the trash on seadoos other than that the lake is so huge that you will hardly see more than 10 boats all day

Cole Sanger
10-08-2003, 06:05 AM
I wish that I lived closer to a huge lake like Mead. I just don't like driving 3-6 hours to get on the lake. I have done it, and will do it again, but with some smaller lakes only 20 minutes away, it just seems like a waste.