PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler cores

MKEELINE
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I want to pressure test two aluminum cores I have. They are out of a Lee turbo intercooler. Do I just fill it up with water and put air to it(I was told 30 lbs.) or is there more to it? Also, what's the best way to clean them out?
Thanks,
Mike

Brian
03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I assume you're talking about a tube/fin style core, so yeah put some water pressure to it if you have fittings to hook up to the tubes. The bar/plate cores need tanks on them to test with. For mine I just plugged one side and hooked up a garden hose and gauge to the other with a valve and put about 40 psi in there. Damn thing leaked, so I sawed it all apart and ordered up a new core from Bell (www.bellintercoolers.com). Now I just need Heavyhitter to weld it back up and I'll be all set!
:)

revndave
03-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Just put air to it.Dont need to put water.Block it off and put a gauge on it.See if it holds pressure.

MKEELINE
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Just put air to it.Dont need to put water.Block it off and put a gauge on it.See if it holds pressure.
Thanks. That's what I planned. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something, wouldn't be the first time.
Mike

antonmies
03-12-2006, 04:51 AM
And if you want to be sure the possible leak is not from the plug, I suppose you could use soapy water and spray it over the core and the plug or drop the hole thing to an aquarium and see where the possible leak is. :)

franky
03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
15 lbs of air and put it in a bucket of water...look for the bubbles. Screw the gauge.

BeastOfTheEast
03-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I would do the air check method suggested, that has always worked at our shop.