PDA

View Full Version : Are sidexsides still hot or have they jumped the shark?

Sportin' Wood
12-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Not a dig, Legit question. I got an interesting call today and have never paid much attention to the side by side market, so now I gotta play catch up.
Is the aftermarket still good for them or has it leveled out now that people can't go to the bank of 2nd mortgage?
I don't do the Glamis thing so I really can't judge the popularity of them. Seems everyone I know that has one has flipped it. Whats your take on the side by side market, anything left? Long term growth or passing fad?
Really interested in what you guys have to say.
People that I know absolutly love them.
Thanks

djunkie
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Well I've never flipped mine and I drive the piss out of it. IMO you gotta f-up pretty bad to put it on its side. Seeing as more and more manufacturers are coming out with them I really don't see it going away anytime soon.
On a side note, if your thinking of getting one I'd suggest looking at a used one. Theres a bunch for sale with some nice add on's for pretty cheap.

Ziggy
12-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Somehow I knew Dj would be the first to respond :)

Sportin' Wood
12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Well I've never flipped mine and I drive the piss out of it. IMO you gotta f-up pretty bad to put it on its side. Seeing as more and more manufacturers are coming out with them I really don't see it going away anytime soon.
On a side note, if your thinking of getting one I'd suggest looking at a used one. Theres a bunch for sale with some nice add on's for pretty cheap.
Not really looking to buy one. More interested in the aftermarket side. I see there are absolutly tons of stuff for them out there. You are right there are great deals on everything right now. Everything.

Froggystyle
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Seems everyone I know that has one has flipped it.
Everyone I know that owns a dirt bike has gone down too... cost of doing business off road I think.
(BTW... I haven't flipped mine, and I drive like my hair is on fire)
We party with a really cool group of folks out in the desert/camping and every time I put one of the wives into the passenger seat and go for a ride a new Rhino is bought and a dirt bike, rail or buggy is sold.
They are an awesome alternative to big hardware. They are easy to drive, relatively inexpensive, fast enough and with a great suspension like the Long Travel Rhino kit I have (www.longtravelrhino.com) they are absolutely magic in the whoops and turns. We ride with bikes all day long out in Occotillo and everyone who has gotten into it decides that "this is next" for them.
They aren't going anywhere for a while. But, if something cooler comes out... I'll probably buy one and jump on that bandwagon too...
Great vehicle for us...

Sportin' Wood
12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Froggy,
My friends all roll there jeeps on a regular basis as well.( same group)
Glad to hear, it sounds like they are a lot of fun. We have a few people that pre run with them now. Its a whole lot easier to throw that in the bed of a pick up then drag a trailer.:idea:

Froggystyle
12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks Froggy,
My friends all roll there jeeps on a regular basis as well.( same group)
Glad to hear, it sounds like they are a lot of fun. We have a few people that pre run with them now. Its a whole lot easier to throw that in the bed of a pick up then drag a trailer.:idea:
Among a million other things that they are easier to use for. We figured out that the Rhino had double the hours on it last trip than any other ride. It just gets used a lot more for a lot more things. Need to jam down and get ice? Take the Rhino. Need to go meet someone at the road? Take the Rhino. Grab shovels? Dig someone out? Tow a bike home? You name it... the Rhino gets the job out there.
Plus, with our lights, everyone wants to be around us come nightfall for sure.

Sportin' Wood
12-07-2007, 02:32 PM
So when are you going to make a trophy truck body for one?:D

catman-do
12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
This is one thing I am suprised no one has done. The bodies on these are soo humm drumm, i thought someone would have come out with a bodykit that mimmicks a trophy truck or buggy.

Froggystyle
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
You clearly haven't seen my Rhino...
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2578&g2_serialNumber=2
All 'glass body front and rear. Wide fenders in front... full one piece rear.

jdogginla
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2578&g2_serialNumber=2
WOW :eek:

Jordy
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
WOW :eek:
Now that's baller!!! It's fun to drive too. :D

jdogginla
12-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Now that's baller!!! :D
I'm still at mini-me status.....:D

PinkTaco
12-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I can tell you this... If it weren't for the Rhino, the Yamaha dealership would be a very quiet place right now :D . I'd hate to be a stand-alone Suzuki or Honda shop right now :eek:

Jordy
12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm still at mini-me status.....:D
Yeah, I've got one foot in the Rhino grave and the other on a banana peel... dammit!!! :notam:

Frequent Flier
12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
That is awesome!!! Mine is still a work in progress...

Froggystyle
12-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the good words. Lots of work, but an absolute blast.
Maybe mine isn't a good example for the argument though. ;)

OCMerrill
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow Froggy...that thing is Sweet.:D
Thanks to Jbb Jeeps have never been so popular.:)

djunkie
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the good words. Lots of work, but an absolute blast.
Maybe mine isn't a good example for the argument though. ;)
This beater might be though. :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44731&stc=1&d=1197074304

Riomouse911
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I've never been a sand guy, and the Rhino was the first off-road toy I have bought. I loved it as a two seater, and the wife wanted the extra seats so she OK'ed some mods that I never would have gotten on my own...Last month at Ocotillo we had 3 rhinos, 4 quads and 2 bikes. Next trip with the same folks has 5 rhinos, 3 quads and 1 bike...
I think the SxS will have truly jumped the shark when a long travel kit comes out for the John Deere 6x6 Gator and Kubota diesel SxS's..

LOWRIVER2
12-08-2007, 01:01 AM
As far as mini trophy trucks, they are already around : www.trophykart.com
Problem is, they have'nt come out with the 250 cc edition they keep talking about and their drive system is'nt sand friendly.
SXS's are'nt going away, the RZR's are blowing up at Glamis as they pretty much can climb anything stock. It takes less than $1300 to make those things run 80 mph on hard pack.
I look at mine as a tool, gets you where you need to go, pretty slow in dunes but it makes you honest in driving techniques. If you can dune in a Rhino without rolling, you can dune in anything. Funny to see all the sand car and quad guys roll Rhinos because they powered over dunes incorrectly and can't with the whopping 23 hp of a Rhino.
Sand cars are still tops for most fun in the sand but in hard pack, SXS's have approached the quad status as for the majority of dirt families owning them.

HP350SC
12-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Froggystyle, what order would you recommend putting on some of the popular options? Which ones are "must haves".

Froggystyle
12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Froggystyle, what order would you recommend putting on some of the popular options? Which ones are "must haves".
If I only did one thing it would be the long travel kit. I looked all over for the best one, and found it from a board member believe it or not who owns Long Travel Rhino (www.longtravelrhino.com) .
It got seemingly twice as stable, WAY WAY WAY better off road manners and goes over whoops like a mid-travel buggy. I have King shocks and such, which is what they recommend.
If you do nothing else... that is an unfortunately expensive but hugely worth it expense. It took it from a narrow, slightly tippy toy to a real off-road monster. I couldn't be happier.
It won't fit in the bed of a truck anymore, but they barely do stock anyway, and this is way worth the trade off. It also makes it too wide for strictly quad trails, but it is pretty much too wide for them anyway IMO and the places I ride don't have restricted gates like some spots.
At the very least, get offset rims. Every bit helps. If you get offset rims with the LT kit, you end up with a 17" wider track total. Offset rims alone will get you about 5".
The no-brainer is harnesses. I don't even count them because it is so obvious. Do that no matter what. Suspension seats are a huge help too. The PRP's are great, as are many others. They make covers for the stock seats, but that is not the deal. Suspension seats do what they say, suspend your ass in a sling of material and it really smooths out the big bumps. In combo with a LT kit, it is twice the vehicle from a driveability standpoint.
The list goes on and on from there. I really like the BF Goodrich tires we run too. Really, really nice for the hardpack we ride on and they rock-crawl way better than the ATV tires you can get. Pricey, but again worth it...
BTW... I just dragged down a sponsorship with KMC on some new rims and tires for it, so these ones are going to be for sale. DOT legal and hugely better quality than ATV tires. Just throwing that out there...
PM me if you want anything more specific.

superdave013
12-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Mr. Frog, I've been checking out those lights and their web site. Very nice and I get the idea they are doing.
I'm coming out with my own deal for MTB use. I'll send you a set to try when I get them done. Will be like 747 landing lights on your bars with a dose of DC10 landing lights on your lid. haha

Froggystyle
12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Mr. Frog, I've been checking out those lights and their web site. Very nice and I get the idea they are doing.
I'm coming out with my own deal for MTB use. I'll send you a set to try when I get them done. Will be like 747 landing lights on your bars with a dose of DC10 landing lights on your lid. haha
I'm in! I have the HID's from Night Rider right now and am pretty impressed. Can't wait to see what you have.

Sportin' Wood
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm in! I have the HID's from Night Rider right now and am pretty impressed. Can't wait to see what you have.
I co-drove this beast today at the Glen helen race with Jeremy McGrath. What a total blast. We raced it in class one but DNF'd early with a broken spindle. Very fun car,..... I want one of my own.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=113932
Thanks for the info guys it helped me with my research.
Here is the race report.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=637643

Froggystyle
12-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I co-drove this beast today at the Glen helen race with Jeremy McGrath. What a total blast. We raced it in class one but DNF'd early with a broken spindle. Very fun car,..... I want one of my own.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=113932
Thanks for the info guys it helped me with my research.
Here is the race report.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=637643
Can you post some pics that are not linked to GD? You need a membership to see them...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-12-2007, 05:40 PM
So, what? does it cost money to join or something? :D Sheesh!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
12-12-2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/post-7819-1188068157_thumb.jpeg

Trailer Park Casanova
12-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Ron Seidner, the owner or Berts comes by our campsite and says he can't keep Rhinos in stock.
He sells everyone he can get.
Our local Yamaha dealer says Rhinos last on his floor about a day.
We're buying the new Kawasaki Teryx 750 V twin.
Early reports are stock it's very stabil, RZr performance and can handle full speed donuts.
http://www.kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Preview/90c38ca9-af6e-41d1-beed-7000886115e0.jpg
Hope to keep it to just a back seat, top and full roll cage for budget sakes.
Probably will have no more than $13K invested if even that.
At least that's the plan.
I see no compairson to Jeeps, though we love jeeps.
The SxS are toys, and that's what we intend to use it for.

boatnam2
12-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a freind who is going to sell his sliver 07 for a killer price he bought a buggy and just wants it gone.I think he said around 10k it has wheels,lights,belts and some other stuff plus warranty.Pm if you want his number i dont think you will beat the price anywhere.