PDA

View Full Version : Question for all lifted truck owners

wedge44
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Anybody have any experience with leaks at the rear diff, where the spline goes into the pumpkin (front towards engine), lifted angle is even, no flex on u-joint (engineered lift), and warranty work. I know the dealer probably will say it's lifted that's why it's leaking, trying to blow smoke up my *ss...truck has 30k on it...6" lift with 35's...saving the make from these boards to stop, toyota v nissan people....leak just started small, but it should be a warranty item....looking for input brfore I start the fight with the dealer....wedge

Outnumbered
12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Anybody have any experience with leaks at the rear diff, where the spline goes into the pumpkin (front towards engine), lifted angle is even, no flex on u-joint (engineered lift), and warranty work. I know the dealer probably will say it's lifted that's why it's leaking, trying to blow smoke up my *ss...truck has 30k on it...6" lift with 35's...saving the make from these boards to stop, toyota v nissan people....leak just started small, but it should be a warranty item....looking for input brfore I start the fight with the dealer....wedge
If you have a good service writer he will take care of it. I am loyal to my SW's and they will take care of things like this to return the favor. The lift has no effect on the pinion seal but they can use that as an excuse if they are dicks.
My TJ had an aftermarket T-case tailhousing and my SW warrantied the seal when it leaked. I first took it to the dealer in Henderson, NV where it happened on a trip to Vegas. They told me no focking way. I then took it back to SoCal and my SW took care of it.
Just find a good SW and stick with him.

hkunz
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Is the pinion tilted up from stock? Many lift kit installers put the kit in, but fail to top off the pumpkin afterwards. If the fill plug is in the back and the pinion is moved up (quite common) then the top of the fill plug in lower than the required oil level. If that is so, then the pinion bearings will be between just a bit light on oiling and outright galling of the pinion bearings from lack of lubrication. Please note that an "engineered lift" doesn't guarantee a good lift kit or proper installation. I've fixed some pretty gnarly "engineering" :D on the trail. It would work great at the mall, but don't hit the curb:eek:
Alternatively, is the pinion angle equal to the transfer case angle? If they don't line up, there could be some stress on the threaded section of the pinion, causing some wobble, and making your seal start to weep.
If not one of those (which would be caused by the lift/installation), then the Moss-Magnusun Act specifically prohibits dealers from voiding the warranty unless they can prove tha the modifications directly impacted the parts that are defective/worn/broke, etc., and they can be prosecuted for denying your claim.

superdave013
12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
warranty for driveline problems on a lifted truck.
YEAH RIGHT!

Keith E. Sayre
12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I've had 7 rear ends in my truck, they all leaked right before they broke.
Don't know exactly what went wrong with them but I just keep paying!

hkunz
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I've had 7 rear ends in my truck, they all leaked right before they broke.
Don't know exactly what went wrong with them but I just keep paying!
Wow, what kind of axle? Maybe it would be cheaper to spring for one of those Dynatrac or Currie custom axles, if you have to pay for the repairs yourself anyway.:(

Mr. Crusader 83
12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
My truck has a 6in lift and I put a drop down bracket for the carrier bearing. also when I had the posi put in they extended both driveshafts because of the lift.
2000 silverado extracab

yamahajet
12-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I have had no problems with my pinion seal on my burban lifted with 35 tires iits a procomp kit. most dealers are pretty cool about the warranty seals & gaskets its the big $ repairs that they try to fight..

wedge44
12-07-2007, 02:24 PM
warranty for driveline problems on a lifted truck.
YEAH RIGHT!
This would be one of the haters I was referring to in my original post....If you can't contribute.....stay the *uck out....:D :D :D wedge

Waist Deep
12-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Just replaced the rear pinion on my 03 4x without a lift. Bought the kit for I think 130 and threw it on myself.
That was 2 months ago and all seems fine.
83K on truck mileage

wedge44
12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
My truck has a 6in lift and I put a drop down bracket for the carrier bearing. also when I had the posi put in they extended both driveshafts because of the lift.
2000 silverado extracab
It has drop down for carrier Bearing...the kits a *abtec* so I don't want to start any bashing, additional info...I pull 31 ft. 5th wheel and 23' ft boat (doubles)....with the lift I did notice some axle wrap on hard off the line pulls, may have added to problem, so added Traction Bars to minimize flex...had problem with the installer of these bars (who shall also remain nameless) had to have them redone due to improper alignment....just reinstalled them....rear end has that popular "diff cover" that is finned and cools the rear-end and holds more fluid. So does anybody know any good rear-end places...SCV SFV area.....Wedge

wedge44
12-07-2007, 03:01 PM
bump for more input

Waist Deep
12-07-2007, 03:04 PM
You can't do it yourself, why?

wedge44
12-07-2007, 03:12 PM
usual story ....no time ....gave up proper tools along time ago ....don't want to mees up the driveway....I can give you alot of excuses....I'm just *ucking lazy nowadays:D :D :D
aleast in your sig you know how to spell Asphalt.....are we talking super pave PG 64-10 or ar 8000 d mix:D

Waist Deep
12-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Just picked up the sig. Told him concrete, but he gave me asphalt, or asfault.

superdave013
12-07-2007, 04:14 PM
This would be one of the haters I was referring to in my original post....If you can't contribute.....stay the *uck out....:D :D :D wedge
not hating at all. I just don't see how this could be a dealer warranty problem is all. So that was my way of telling you that I think you are off base on this one. Just buck up and pay for it ya cheep skin. :)