PDA

View Full Version : RV Deep Garages

catman-do
12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have experience building a boat/ rv deep garage? Looking at property that has a larger lot and wondering what these cost to have built. I am assuming that it will vary depending on the charges the city has for building permits, just wondering about the structure itself.
Looking at about 14' wide x 14' tall doors with a depth of atleast 45'

Community
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I believe based ont he span it has to be engineered? Other than that all I have heard of is height restrictions on the structure so they may do a flat roof over the RV portion and a pitched roof everywhere else.

lalhc
12-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm interested in doing the same thing. I have a level 28K sq ft lot and I want to build a detached RV garage.

Havasu1986
12-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have experience building a boat/ rv deep garage? Looking at property that has a larger lot and wondering what these cost to have built. I am assuming that it will vary depending on the charges the city has for building permits, just wondering about the structure itself.
Looking at about 14' wide x 14' tall doors with a depth of atleast 45'
I did a owner / build on the RV garage in my avatar. It is 57' long and about 14' with a bath room. You may not get 14 doors. You can only build 15' high in Havasu, if thats where you looking. I was told you need the door opening to be at least 18" for a roll up door. You can PM me if you like. :)

TeamGreene
12-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Check with your Building and Safety Dept. about height resrictions. You can get a sectional door to turn in 12 inches if needed (just did one in apple valley) As far as engineering almost everything now is eng. so plan on that in your cost. I'm a Gen. contractor so if you have any other questions email me at mgcframin@msn.com:D

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Surprisingly enough Rancho has a very intelligent engineering department. Been there for every house I looked at when we were trying to buy there.
Way too complicated to get all-in-it here, go see the city with some ideas what you are looking for and the planning gents will steer you in the right direction.
I promise
Brian

catman-do
12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Surprisingly enough Rancho has a very intelligent engineering department. Been there for every house I looked at when we were trying to buy there.
Way too complicated to get all-in-it here, go see the city with some ideas what you are looking for and the planning gents will steer you in the right direction.
I promise
Brian
It would be in Rancho. Ive heard that the planning dept here is a major pain in the ass, and then the assessors could come out and tax me on the added sq ft. I was looking to do something that may resemble what Havasu1986 has, however was told to not "actually" connect it to the house because then there would be more restrictions. they said to "butt" it up against the house, but not actually secure it. The measurements I gave were just general. We dont have a lake house, and probably wouldnt for atleast another year until the market calms down a bit, but are looking in rancho at new property and would like to keep the truck attached to the 5th wheel inside a garage. Maybe bring the boat back in the winters so i didnt have to pay storage.

McIntyrelocal
12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Im getting ready to dig footings for my shop hear in norco im doing mine alittle bit bigger 36x48 the foundation is going to be about 8500 and the building is a prefab really nice building not just a coriggated steel but 4x8 flat panels with a pitched roof all galvi steel trusses and beams color matched to my house and installed with 2 16x16 doors front and back one man door and i might add a 12x8 roll up on the side and its gonna be about 42,000 just for the building but thats installed.

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I inquired about a few houses, I didn't have a problem with any of the planners. They didn't seem to have a problem with the building I was planning on doing.
Yard space is always an issue, height restrictions apply, and there are a couple, depending on where it is located on the land. You also have lot covverage limits and so on. Just go see them, right next to the courthouse, no big deal dude.
Pretty much I gathered that 1200 sq foot is what is able to be added if it isn't connected to the house(considered an "accesory" to the main dwelling.)
Brian
It would be in Rancho. Ive heard that the planning dept here is a major pain in the ass, and then the assessors could come out and tax me on the added sq ft. I was looking to do something that may resemble what Havasu1986 has, however was told to not "actually" connect it to the house because then there would be more restrictions. they said to "butt" it up against the house, but not actually secure it. The measurements I gave were just general. We dont have a lake house, and probably wouldnt for atleast another year until the market calms down a bit, but are looking in rancho at new property and would like to keep the truck attached to the 5th wheel inside a garage. Maybe bring the boat back in the winters so i didnt have to pay storage.

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Not a big deal to connect it to the house either, just need better
fire-retardant materials I think, buildings need to be certain distances away from each other as well.
Brian

catman-do
12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. Wanted to know the involvement of them before I started looking too hard into getting another house.

wsuwrhr
12-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. Wanted to know the involvement of them before I started looking too hard into getting another house.
Learn from my mistakes as well, for any house you are seriously interested in....check for any easements on the property and what the city will allow you to do BEFORE you fall in love with it.
Brian

79 Howard
12-07-2007, 06:57 PM
For the size garage door you are looking to install, 14 x 14 ,you will need a minimum of 18 inches of headroom above the door height you choose and is avalible. standard 7 ft high garage doors go in with 12 inches of room but the bigger stuff needs at least 18 inches to clear the finished opening. No less unless you want disappointments or a jacked up job.

uLtRADeNniS
12-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Ive dealt with Ranchos planning/ zoning / blah blah blah departments many of times for homes/ lots I've sold there. Very nice compared to other cities I've dealt with! Give them a call!
And on another note...
So your keeping the 27 Shadow now? Thats great to hear!

Magic34
12-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Go at least 50' deep, and your height is good. For resale, someone that may buy can fit a 45' coach in the garage.
I am putting an offer on a lot on Monday and the boat garage is the first thing I talked about with the design team. :)

The Wet Spot
12-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Here is the one I built: 20X50 with a 16' door

LOWRIVER2
12-08-2007, 05:20 AM
If the garage ends up being detached, make sure to get gap coverage on your home policy as many ins. co.'s only cover it as a "other structure" , meaning they will only pay 10% of the home policy. Connect the garage with a roof to house and you are okay.
Inspectors can be a major pain, try to find a contractor who's on good terms with the city's building dept. Makes for smoother sailing. Wood can get pricey, My framer had an in with a local lumber yard for wholesale which saved a bundle.
I made mine a 30x22 with 8' entry.
If I was looking in San Berdo. county, I'd look for an area where I could build a steel building. They are cheaper which means you can go bigger for the dollar. A friend built a 50x50 for 30k. There are still a lot of zones out there where you can do these.

catman-do
12-08-2007, 08:13 AM
ULTRADENNIS- We are still selling the boat, we would like to start a family and are looking to get into a bigger house while the market is down. Am looking to free up some mo payments in order to do so.
LOWRIVER- Steel framed is what I was looking at. That way I can keep the skeleton showing without it looking too bad. Dont want to do the drywall on the inside yet, just incase I want to run air lines, water lines, or electrical in the future. Was thinking in the future it would be cool to have an air line on a metal runner so that i can take it anywhere in the garage. As well, I was thinking about a hose disconnect similar to a car wash so that I can wash the boat or 5th wheel inside.

LOWRIVER2
12-08-2007, 10:01 AM
With the water deals these days, inside washing is the one thing I should have done on mine. I did run a hot water line to the front so I can have warm water when detailing in the winter.
My friend's steel building is great, his is a 15 ft. entry, has a full size car lift, even a steel "loft" at the rear that he has his jet skis, big car parts on. He did'nt do drywall and has air lines throughout. It's really the way to go for your dollar.

hkunz
12-08-2007, 01:12 PM
We used Steelbuilding.com to design and build our building. Much less expensive at the outset, but they forget to add the sales tax. If you get a building built by a general contractor, i don't think you pay the tax, or you pay it included in the price. Bottom line, it was a wash for price using the internet or getting a local bid. To get 14' door we had to go 18' high with a peaked roof. Get a double-car door so you can back the boat in next to the RV after life changes your plans;)
Ours is 30' x 50', and it is almost too short for our 39' RV, since I would like to be able to walk around and wash the windows, get into the engine compartment, etc. It has to go in just the right spot so I don't have to start it just to clean it. If the garage was smaller, I would have to move the RV to clean it.

Sotally Tober
12-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Last year I buit a 54'x54' stick framed shop myself. The only thing I hired out was 4' concrete knee wall, the flatwork, and mud and tape the drywall. I did EVERYTHING else myself. It is 16' walls with a 12'x14' and 24'x14' insulated powered doors. Arch. comp roof and hardiplank sididng. All I have to do is finish the rock veneer in the front to match the house. It has a floor drain, hot water, full bath with shower, stubbed kitchen, airlines on all 4 walls, heat, 6" concrete floor, etc.
I did have to get it engineered put that was only $450. I built it for around $20 sqft.
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow as I'm at the firehouse today.
Good luck with yours!