PDA

View Full Version : Boost and dist timing advance question

1968Droptop
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I currently have a mechanical advance dist in my blown BBF. I had it recurved at a local shop. At the time I didn't have a MAP sensor. I know have the abilty to retard timing as I'm making boost. Which leads me to the question; am I better off not having any advance in the distributor ? Does it make any difference at all ? Should I just remove it and install another that's locked out ? My box allows me to dial up timing retard during starting and while under boost.

IMPATIENT 1
12-09-2007, 02:50 PM
just lockout the dist you have drop. its not hard to do if its a msd or anything other brand really. i ran my blown 475bbc with lock out dizzy setting at 36degrees, and let my boost timing master msd(6btm msd box) pull out timing when under boost. i didn't need a starter retard, with alittle over 9 to 1 compression, and locked timing at 36 it'd still crank up reallllly easy everytime.

BOOGEYMAN
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Lock it out! I lock out all of mine, boat, drag racing, whatever. I hate the idea of my timing moving around when I have that much $$$$ into an engine.
Travis

Warp Speed
12-10-2007, 03:09 AM
You would not believe the havok the mechanical advance creates upon timing from cylinder to cylinder thoughout the rpm range! (as much as 5 degree's difference/change from cylinder to cylinder!) :eek:
If you have a HP engine (just about anything over 500lb/ft) you REALLY need a crank trigger! Especialy any blown/turbo or nitrous applications!!! ;)
Locking the advance out will help, but all that weight at the top of the shaft still has a huge effect spark scatter even at jet boat type rpm's. Couple this with timing chain/gear stretch-deflection, cam twist ect....It can become a mess in a hurry, and without special equipment to monitor each cylinder throughout the rpm range you never know how much or when/where! :idea:
Warp Speed ;)

1968Droptop
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to pull the dist out and lock the replacement. I'm running the stock Ford dist, and I'll put another one in. No sense wasting that early curve by locking it out. I'll save it for my next 460 project.
Warp, I've thought about crank trigger. It won'y happen this year, but it will happen.