PDA

View Full Version : what'd you pay to PC your pump parts?

shaun
03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Wondering how much you guys paid to have your jet pump parts stripped and powder coated? I'm talking about everything, the bowl, nossle, transom cover, intake, etc... I was just quoted $230

YeLLowBoaT
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
sounds good to me... the qoute I got was over $300.

shaun
03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Just seamed alittle high to me, i had 4 rims powdercoated a few years ago for 200 bucks, these are a bit more time consuming though with the stripping and masking.

revndave
03-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Sounds right to me also.

Squirtcha?
03-06-2006, 04:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken there are some precautions that need to be taken with cast pump parts to prevent the "offgassing" thing.
I think some of the others are familiar with this. Don't remember exactly what needs to be done either.
I seem to remember that the PC will flake off if not done properly.
Maybe someone "in the know" will drop in.

BrendellaJet
03-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Definitely take it to someone who has done pump parts before. For the outgassing I recall the parts needing to be heated to a certain temp prior to applying PC. Also, need to make sur ethey aren't blasting through the hard anno. I was warned not to PC my pump, so im gonna go with appliance paint when the time comes...

shaun
03-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I just talked with the guy, he said they are going to pre-bake it for 30 min i guess before they coat it, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about with this outgassing thing, i hope...

beerjet
03-06-2006, 05:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken there are some precautions that need to be taken with cast pump parts to prevent the "offgassing" thing.
I think some of the others are familiar with this. Don't remember exactly what needs to be done either.
I seem to remember that the PC will flake off if not done properly.
Maybe someone "in the know" will drop in.
Squirtcha's got it. When I did mine the guys told me a bunch of stuff about pc the pump and if was not done properly it would be covered in fish eye lookin blemishes. He knew where to mask and what and how to cover and fill holes. Did an awsome job. Pump, bowl, wedge, droop, nozzle, ride plate, shims and cradle , transom cover for about that price too. Maybe less , cant remember.
-beerjet-

Glencoe MiniDay
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I did some trade work for all the PC I had done.
Probably about the same price though.
I did alot of other parts also
BellHousing,Engine block,Waterpmp plate,All of the pump parts Intake,nozzle,suction Housing Some trailer u Bolts.And Had the headers piston coated and all the blasting prior to coatin.

wright27
03-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I had mine done and the gasses did release and bubbled the pc. For me whats done is done. It can be done right just make sure the guy knows what he is doing. In my case the guy did not know this and gave me a price break. Paid $210. The bubbles are not terrible , but not as nice as paint would have been, IMO.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11794&stc=1

painterdan32
03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
I had mine done and the gasses did release and bubbled the pc. For me whats done is done. It can be done right just make sure the guy knows what he is doing. In my case the guy did not know this and gave me a price break. Paid $210. The bubbles are not terrible , but not as nice as paint would have been, IMO.
Dont have mine completly done again... but here's what I did... Last year I sandblasted the parts of the jet I couldnt sand. Then primed with a primer activated with Methyl-ethyl Keytone [ MEK , it's the stuff that sets up your fiberglass] ( wrong thing to do!!) . Do what you got to do to get all your loose scale off your parts. If you use paint stripper remember your housing is porus and it will get stipper in the aluminum pores. Scrub it out the best you can and heat the parts. Please do NOT use your home oven. A hot day in the sun will work or get the part to a bodyshop with a bake booth and ask them to put it in a bake cycle or two for you. Rescuff the part as soon as possible with HOT water. Preferably when the booth cycle is done or still in the hot sun. Then apply an epoxy primer. Nason (off brand DuPont) has an excellent primer for this. PPG still has a variant of DP 40 but I don't know what it is called anymore.Spray this while the part is still warm in your case about 120 degrees or so. Let it dry overnite. Rescuff the part with a 3M Scotchbrite pad or 400 grit where you have any dirt in your primer. Be sure not to break through your epoxy. Now you're ready for any paint you want. I use Imron6000 with the Imron E-Z Clearcoat. Very expensive shit, but I never have to wax theese parts. It's got Teflon in the clearcoat. Whole boat is painted with that gorilla snot of a paint and is the most durable paint on the market. IMO. PM me with any questions if this is the route you want to go down. Daniel.

Brooski
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Having mine done as we speak. I was quoted about $190. So that sounds about right.

shaun
03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Got it all back today, it turned out good but not as perfect as i would have wanted it, maybe i'm just looking too closely. I can see a couple areas their are pin holes, which i assume is from outgassing, luckily these areas are where you dont usually see them, the bowl turned out good so i'm happy about that, the suction has some areas that look like it could be bubbled but i'm not sure, the bubble isnt soft so i assume it could just be inperfections that are just showing up now because it's all nice and glossy.
One think i'm not too happy about is that they did not mask many of the areas i told them too and now i'm worried i'm going to be spending time removing power from those areas.
I'll post pictures later tonight.

shaun
03-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Ok, where in the So Cal area is their a powder coater who knows what they are doing? I want to show them and get their opinion. I called the current powder coater and warned them about the out gassing and they told me it shouldnt be a problem... if somebody know knows how to do this right tells me that it's crap then i'm going to be getting my money back...

beerjet
03-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok, where in the So Cal area is their a powder coater who knows what they are doing? I want to show them and get their opinion. I called the current powder coater and warned them about the out gassing and they told me it shouldnt be a problem... if somebody know knows how to do this right tells me that it's crap then i'm going to be getting my money back...
Corsair powder coat (909)627-3116 monclair on state st. between central and mountain. He went into depth as to how why and how to prevent it.
-beerjet-