PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil

Tbigrat
08-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Hello all I got water in oil threw dip stick.The boat was beached for a few days .Got a lot off water in bilge area , battery was under water. Any ideas on how to get all water and oil out with out pulling engine out . I change oil and filter allready ,but still making manyonase Please help.

waterfn
08-03-2002, 04:12 PM
I was told you need to change oil 3 time to get all the water out. change oil run it a minute then change it again, then do it again. this way all the water in the lifters and such is clean. Good luck

propless
08-03-2002, 04:41 PM
As Waterfn noted. Keep changing the oil and purchase the cheapest stuff around. ONLY after it appears clean, change it one more time with your preferenced oil.

Old Guy
08-03-2002, 06:39 PM
The safest way to deal with that much water is to drain whatever you can from the crankcase, change the filter, put in 2 quarts of ATF and enough cheap oil to fill it. Remove the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill motor (check the oil pres. to make sure you're turning it the right direction. Take the valve covers off so you can see the water come and go. The ATF seems to attract water. Run the pump this way for 10 minutes or so then drain oil and change filter. Repeat 2 more times with just oil (no ATF) and new filter. Remove spark plugs and crank engine with starter while runnung the oil pump with drill motor on 3rd oil change. Drain oil, change filter, put in good oil and it should be as good as before the water.
I did this with one than spent a few days on the bottom of a lake. I had to do more 'cause the intake and cyl. also had water.
old

diggler
08-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Tbigrat:
Hello all I got water in oil threw dip stick.The boat was beached for a few days .Got a lot off water in bilge area , battery was under water. Any ideas on how to get all water and oil out with out pulling engine out . I change oil and filter allready ,but still making manyonase Please help.If you see the other thread in this forum...."Cas, OldSquirt, see what the engine is (not) doing)" I had the same problem....
Unfortunately, I got all the water out by pulling the engine. I had other problems though with mine that the water in the oil indicated.
Good luck, I'll remember that ATF theory and try it sometime. Let me know if you do and if it works.

440jetster
08-04-2002, 08:23 AM
My boat totally sank, and I used diesel fuel. Drained the oil, pulled the plugs and filled it up to the intake (carb removed) and carefully cranked her over and drained. Filled it up again and let it sit over night and repeated the steps the next morning. I drained it put in new oil and new filter (marine oil 15W40)and was on the lake at noon with no milky oil ever. I was told by an oldtime inboard marine mechanic that diesel loves to mix with water, and it is also an oil, not a solvent(bad on bearings and rings). The water hides in every possible place, thats why I filled it to the brim. It saved my engine from death and might be a solution if you are still having problems.