PDA

View Full Version : Who can care less about the real estate market right now?

RiverToysJas
12-09-2007, 06:27 AM
You don't have to be a long time lurker to know this is a hot topic around here. Just curious though....are there others, like me, who don't really care about real estate fluxuations?
I bought my current house nearly 6 years ago. We have a fixed payment we can afford @ a good interest rate, we have stable employment, we like the house and it's location, and we're in the place for the long haul.
I really don't care about the market going up or down.....I can see how some people would....seems A LOT do around here......so are there others like me???
RTJas :D

YeLLowBoaT
12-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I personally think its a good thing.

TCHB
12-09-2007, 06:34 AM
I bought my first house because I wanted my own garage, backyard, and house. I did not want to be a renter and end up with a million dollars in rent paid and nothing to show for it. As long as you can afford the payment in time it will be yours and you enjoyed home ownership. Homes just like anything go up and down with market conditions. Most people never cash out of there homes anyway.

boatnam2
12-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Just put ours up for sale yesterday, so i guess i can say i will be watching the housing market a little bit.

RiverToysJas
12-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Just put ours up for sale yesterday, so i guess i can say i will be watching the housing market a little bit.
Where you going Jim????

v-drive
12-09-2007, 06:50 AM
We have friends that are effected by it and that concerns us. We have been in our home for 23 years and have no plans of leaving anytime soon. I like the thought of having it paid for. We almost took a 2nd on it to remodel the kitchen but after seeing what we would have to pay back we just decided to pay for it ourselves.:D :coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive

boatnam2
12-09-2007, 06:55 AM
maybe huntington next to you:D , not sure tina's biz sucks ass right now so i think its time to do something else, plus im tired of the 3 hours of drive time everyday.It will be tough to go from 1/2 acre and lots of room to a townhome in huntington but i will get use to it.I better get working on my strand cruiser now!

boatnam2
12-09-2007, 06:55 AM
We have friends that are effected by it and that concerns us. We have been in our home for 23 years and have no plans of leaving anytime soon. I like the thought of having it paid for. We almost took a 2nd on it to remodel the kitchen but after seeing what we would have to pay back we just decided to pay for it ourselves.:D :coffeycup :coffeycup v-drive
good call!

RiverToysJas
12-09-2007, 06:57 AM
We have friends that are effected by it and that concerns us.
Yeah, I can see that!
RTJas

RiverToysJas
12-09-2007, 07:01 AM
maybe huntington next to you:D , not sure tina's biz sucks ass right now so i think its time to do something else, plus im tired of the 3 hours of drive time everyday.It will be tough to go from 1/2 acre and lots of room to a townhome in huntington but i will get use to it.I better get working on my strand cruiser now!
:D .......OK, since you're new I'll cut you some slack :rolleyes: ......"Strand Cruisers" are strictly for west facing beach goers! :devil: Us south facing folk simply call them beach cruisers. ;)
That's good news cool though....if you want any help picking an area, let me know....after all we're prectically family now! LOL.. :D

Mattman
12-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Doesn't matter to me at this point.

pancho
12-09-2007, 07:17 AM
we owe less than 80k on our home,i think we are the only ones on the block that haven`t grabbed the equity loans that come in the mail everday,my neighbors cant believe we haven`t pulled the trigger on that deal,i would love get a serious lankscape makeover,still dont think its worth more years of payments versus paying off the house while we are still relativly young, i know my neighbors are living paycheck to paycheck to trying to outdo each other,would rather have a home thats under the radar and spend money on toys and a healthy savings portfolio

boatnam2
12-09-2007, 07:17 AM
:D .......OK, since you're new I'll cut you some slack :rolleyes: ......"Strand Cruisers" are strictly for west facing beach goers! :devil: Us south facing folk simply call them beach cruisers. ;)
That's good news cool though....if you want any help picking an area, let me know....after all we're prectically family now! LOL.. :D
See im from torrance,hermosa so i guess i will need to learn to call them beach crusiers.Almost family dont get me started on that:D

buzzaro
12-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Although both my wife and I were either laid off or grossly underemployed for most of this year due the housing market crash(call it what you want), we both have new jobs and are no longer directly affected (fixed loan and were not strectched by any means). I am much more interested how this will all affect the economy and job market in general over the next few years. We are also looking at our next house or a 2nd property and how the market will be when we're ready to make that move. So day to day I dont think about it too much, but keeping an eye on it for long term plans I suppose.

Dribble
12-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I personally think its a good thing.
For once we agree.

Infomaniac
12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Not me. Oklahoma is not near as volatile a real estate market. Weekend/summer lake home under construction right now, 2,100 sq/ft of finished space on 6 acres of awesome lake view. For right at 200k cost. Will be worth twice that when finished. No telling how much it would cost in CA or AZ. Don't have more recent pics but it is dry'ed in now.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/Moritzguy/front.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/Moritzguy/frontview.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/Moritzguy/Sunset211-4.jpg

pancho
12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
that is going to be a beautiful home,dirt and water cant go wrong

GHT
12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
You don't have to be a long time lurker to know this is a hot topic around here. Just curious though....are there others, like me, who don't really care about real estate fluxuations?
I bought my current house nearly 6 years ago. We have a fixed payment we can afford @ a good interest rate, we have stable employment, we like the house and it's location, and we're in the place for the long haul.
I really don't care about the market going up or down.....I can see how some people would....seems A LOT do around here......so are there others like me???
:D Locked on both places and work looks stable for the foreseeable (sp?) future. So, I agree. We are happy and in for the long haul (I think;) )

rodnjen
12-09-2007, 08:49 AM
I do care actually. We like are home and area as well but chances like this may not come along anytime soon where you can build your portfolio and hedge your investments with the purchase of ANOTHER home.
We have been in our house 8 1/2 years, it has a tax base that I will never be able to get back if I sell. If I buy another primary residence and rent this, it will go a long way to me retiring on my terms rather than someone elses.
Not sure if I'm cut out to me a landlord but we'll see.

YeLLowBoaT
12-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Not me. Oklahoma is not near as volatile a real estate market. Weekend/summer lake home under construction right now, 2,100 sq/ft of finished space on 6 acres of awesome lake view. For right at 200k cost. Will be worth twice that when finished. No telling how much it would cost in CA or AZ. Don't have more recent pics but it is dry'ed in now.
800-1 mil around these parts.
I bought a lot in southern OR for under 20k, ~ 5 arcs, pine trees, water, power, sew phone to the street. stream running along the back... about 15 miles outside of town. really makes me vomit when I think about how much it would cost for the same around here.

buzzaro
12-09-2007, 08:53 AM
800-1 mil around these parts.
I bought a lot in southern OR for under 20k, ~ 5 arcs, pine trees, water, power, sew phone to the street. stream running along the back... about 15 miles outside of town. really makes me vomit when I think about how much it would cost for the same around here.
Probably more, we were looking at some homes in Lincoln yesterday which were only on acre lots and they were priced near 1.5M. The homes were all over 4k sqft but its really the land your paying for.

6 Dollar Boat
12-09-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm not worried about it at all. Home prices needed a serious correction. I've heard that less than 2% of mortgages are in forclosure, and housing is only 3% of the GDP.
Personally, the only debt I have is a small mortgage, in a great neighborhood. I don't think I'll be moving in less than 10 years.

westair
12-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Have low fixed rates on both houses, and don't plan on selling anytime soon ...
so who cares about the real estate market. Seen all this before and we all know
the housing market will come back stronger than ever, so don't wait to long to buy.

Magic34
12-09-2007, 09:17 AM
At first, I could care less, but was watching to see if anything popped up I could not resist.
I am watching it really close now. We bought our house before the boom and only took $50k out of it all these years in terms of a 2nd.
Our equity is very, very strong but I keep looking at these falling prices and we have decided to roll the dice and buy a lot and build a new house just down the street from where I live now. Putting an offer on a lot tomorrow.
I am trying to delay the close of the lot until Feb or March, then get the construction loan closed around June and then break ground around August. The hope in all of that is the market bounces back and the sale of my current home comes with more ease than it would today.
I am guessing that by rolling the dice and if it works out with the market rebounding on my projected timeline, it could be the difference of $600k+ equity. If it doesn't rebound within 20 months from now.... fock me, no plan B once we break ground, I am fully committed at that point. I figure it is worth it and hope for the best. Without risk, there is no reward.

YeLLowBoaT
12-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Probably more, we were looking at some homes in Lincoln yesterday which were only on acre lots and they were priced near 1.5M. The homes were all over 4k sqft but its really the land your paying for.
Which sub were these in?

42' johnny
12-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Great subject.
Yes, we rent ........ no choice cannot afford to buy.
Thats right cannot aford it. how is that?
Well my wife is off work (hurt at work)and I have taken a job
out of town. Now we pay rent at two places.
The real sad part is we make over 150 k a year have no credit cards,
one car payment one small rv payment.
We pay about 40k in rent a year.
If I could buy a home we would.
But in O.C. the prices are so inflated it is stupid.
As soon as we know what is going to happen with my wifes case we can
try to get a house in either C.V. or H.B. "WE HOPE"
Her surgery if Friday the 14th and after rehab we will know if she
can ever go back to work... yes, we do have an attorney.
SO we do care how the market is as it could mean we can own a home.

77charger
12-09-2007, 10:07 AM
could care less we bought our house in 2000 for 190k took out some money paid off the toys and still only owe 230k still with a fixed rate!
The loan companies would have given us more than enough to join the diesel pusher/rhino/dcb crowd but i would be in the forclosure club right now if i did that.:D
If i didnt buy then we couldnt afford it today.same goes for the toys didnt buy before kids or back then couldnt afford to buy them today either.But real estate goes up and down if you could hold on long enough you will get your moneys worth.
Magic that sounds like a good decision you are makin.

Magic34
12-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Magic that sounds like a good decision you are makin.
Thanks, and I hope so. Things are going to be very tight for me the next 2 years now. However, when it works then we will have the house I dream about.

buzzaro
12-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Which sub were these in?
Greenbriar homes off of 12 bridges just east of Del Webb.

rrrr
12-09-2007, 11:03 AM
That's going to be a nice river shack, Info......izzat Ft.Gibson? :D
We have been up there a few times, but have only gone upriver to the island once.

Infomaniac
12-09-2007, 01:59 PM
That's going to be a nice river shack, Info......izzat Ft.Gibson? :D
We have been up there a few times, but have only gone upriver to the island once.
Thanks man,
Yep overlooks the island. Stand on the island and look up, there it is.

Jbb
12-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you have a root cellar to hide in ...when a twister comes, Dorothy..:D

Jbb
12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I have been giving serious thought to taking the wheels off my house!...

Infomaniac
12-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Do you have a root cellar to hide in ...when a twister comes, Dorothy..:D
Why yes Antie B there is a basement to hide in.

Ivan Dan
12-09-2007, 03:01 PM
:confused: ?????????:confused:

boatnam2
12-09-2007, 03:25 PM
:confused: ?????????:confused:
I know I know, our nieghbor works the norco hills area pretty hard hoping he can pull a buyer or investor. If i dont buy something new maybe we can work something out.

Jbb
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Why yes Antie B there is a basement to hide in.
Wouldn't that be auntie Em...?...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44854&stc=1&d=1197243179

rrrr
12-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Wouldn't that be auntie Em...?...:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44854&stc=1&d=1197243179
I don't wanna see Info in Ruby slippers.....:D :D

Ivan Dan
12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I know I know, our nieghbor works the norco hills area pretty hard hoping he can pull a buyer or investor. If i dont buy something new maybe we can work something out.
OK....just giving you some $hit. :D Hopefully it all works out for you guys. Let me know if I can help with anything.