PDA

View Full Version : FUEL PUMP

460aquajet
06-14-2002, 09:01 AM
Anyone tell me the pro's and con's of Mechanical vs electric fuel pump?

Hallett19
06-14-2002, 09:04 AM
I know everyone is going to have something to say about this, it is all just a matter of opinion I guess, I run an Edelbrock mechanical, and it does a good job and has for a little over a year now, some people say have a mech running, but use electric ones with a mech for backup, there is going to be alot of feedback on this topic, but betwee the pros and cons, all this is going to do is confuse you. But the mech is very simple, straight forward and easy to hookup.

460aquajet
06-14-2002, 09:18 AM
I figured there would be a few responses (opinions)this is my first boat project and since everything is stripped down to bare bones I thought i might get a little insight on the best way to go. Thanks

HavasuDreamin'
06-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Electric.........the general consensus and I agree from experience is that the Holley line of fuel pumps SUCK! I have been through one already and when the one that is currently on my rig falters I will be going with a Mallory. Everyone who uses a Mallory says they rock! Mallory is about $250, Holley is about $100.
Mechanical....simple yes, but depending on your set up, there may not be a place to mount it. I run electric.

jordanpaulk
06-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
Electric.........the general consensus and I agree from experience is that the Holley line of fuel pumps SUCK!
I run Holleys in both of my boats. I have a blue electric in one and a mechanical in the other. Bottom line I suppose is personal preference and physical setup-ie. which one is there room for. I prefer the mechanical because, in the event that I ever have any kind of catastrophic failure, be it fire, hull failure etc., the minute the motor stops running, fuel stops pumping. Unless you put a pressure switch running off your oil pressure to the electric fuel pump, that thing will continue to pump until the key is turned off. Just my .02.
Jordy

460aquajet
06-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks Jordy,this is what i was looking for,different ideas and experience