PDA

View Full Version : Engine stops working...

jenstar23
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
So I am new to this forum and I wondering if anyone can help me with this issue.
I just had an interesting incident with my 1987 GMC Jimmy (Blazer/K-5 style with a fuel injected Chevy 350 cubic inch small block crate motor) today. I was driving on the freeway, got off, and the engine died. No sputter or anything that would suggest fuel issues, it just stops dead right there and will not move. So I shift it to park, turn it off, and it restarts just fine. I get going a little bit and it dies again. When I restart, the check engine light goes off, so the code gets re-set.
Needless to say, AAA came to my rescue. Luckily, I have AAA Plus because it was a 16 mile tow. (FYI out of city tows get helped earlier because the drivers get better commission).
I am thinking this is some sort of electrical issue, but I have no idea where to start. If anyone has had a similar incident and could help shed some insight into this matter, it would be much appreciated.

N02 Chevelle
12-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Ive had similar problems on an 86. I found an igintion problem. The ground wire for the coil kept opening an the truck would just die. Start with ignition.

Jetaholic
12-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Also if you're running a GM HEI distributor, the ignition module could be going bad as well. But this definitely sounds ignition/electrical related.

STV_Keith
12-10-2007, 07:37 AM
If you can get it started, while it's idling, take a screwdriver and tap on the Mass Airflow Meter. If the idle fluctuates, replace the MAF.

HALLETT BOY
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
If you can get it started, while it's idling, take a screwdriver and tap on the Mass Airflow Meter. If the idle fluctuates, replace the MAF.
87 had throttle body injection , no air flow sensor.

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I had a 87 GMC s-15... had a but load of ground probs, I think I replaced about 20 or so bad grounds.

STV_Keith
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
87 had throttle body injection , no air flow sensor.
He said it was a crate motor, so I was thinking it might have been newer electronics. Oh well.

SnoC653
12-10-2007, 09:30 PM
GM stores the trouble code in the computer... you can get the code read at most autoparts stores for free. Ford resets when you restart. My suspect would be the ignition module. Most autoparts stores have a tester to test the module if you take it in.

455Rocket
12-11-2007, 08:25 AM
He said it was a crate motor, so I was thinking it might have been newer electronics. Oh well.
It's running an HEI, with a aftermarket Mallory or MSD dist. if I remember correctly... installed by the previous owner.
If you're not sure jen, snap a pic under the hood.