PDA

View Full Version : Electric bill is..................

BacardiLite
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
.......out of hand. Can anyone recommend a solar power home system, or if someone on the boards is in this line of business. I just started doing the research, so by spring time or sooner have one installed. After doing the price cost/savings analysis, will determine how soon i make the purchase.
Thanks for any input!!

YeLLowBoaT
12-10-2007, 09:15 AM
1st thing I would do is get ahold of your power company...( you will at some point anyways) they can tell you if any rebates are out there or are going to be out there. Its not uncommon to see a 30% rebate from power companys. Normally to get that you have to jump thru a couple hoops for them( like finance with this company, or use this panel and etc) but that 30% could very easily be 5k or better.

caroftheweek
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
My neighbor's solar system cost a total of $33,xxx. APS, our electric company in Prescott kicked in $20,xxx. So his out of pocket was $13,xxx or so. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Plus if you are not using the power generated from your solar system (on vacation or otherwise not there) the power company pays you for the power produced.:sqeyes:
When we build here soon, Solar will be on my list.

Sleek-Jet
12-10-2007, 09:31 AM
1st thing I would do is get ahold of your power company...( you will at some point anyways) they can tell you if any rebates are out there or are going to be out there. Its not uncommon to see a 30% rebate from power companys. Normally to get that you have to jump thru a couple hoops for them( like finance with this company, or use this panel and etc) but that 30% could very easily be 5k or better.
Yes, they will require it to be installed in such and such a way to qualify. Also, the state has requirements as well.
Most utilities are also offering a rebate on installation costs after you have done all the work and the solar array is on line. We offer $4 a watt up to 50% cost of the unit. To qualify for the rebate and net metering (i.e. selling the power back to us) the unit has to be certified and installed by a licensed contractor.
We are telling people to plan on spending $7 a watt for a certified PV installation. How big of a PV unit depends on how much load you have in your house.

Wheeler
12-10-2007, 09:38 AM
http://www.partsonsale.com/
I had Solatron rebuild my inverter, they were very fast on the repair and resonable.
My ranch is currently off grid. I have 2880 watts of power and will be upgrading to 4320 watts this year.

Baja Big Dog
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I built many systems in San Felipe, do the math, the R.O.I. is not very good on a whole house system (total solar). The initial cost is very high, and the upkeep can be a bitch.
You might consider a partial system, then you can get warm and fuzzies about helping the cause!!!:D

BoatPI
12-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Your power company will give you an energy survey and assit you in making your house more energy efficent. I would always start there.
Are all of you applicanes energy star? Does attic have R-45 insulation, all light fixtures compac florescent? Is you A/C on an auto cut off program?
I worked on my 3K square foot house as recomended my SCe. Last months electric bill was $41.

boatnam2
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I heard around 10-12 yeras to recoupe you money.What is out of hand, my bil is running around 300 right now and can reach 700 in the summer(****king rip off).2660 sq ft home with a pool in the 951.

BacardiLite
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
thanks for all the responses, i think i have a better idea of what i need to do!! i really appreciated all the input!!

Cole Sanger
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
My neighbor's solar system cost a total of $33,xxx. APS, our electric company in Prescott kicked in $20,xxx. So his out of pocket was $13,xxx or so. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Plus if you are not using the power generated from your solar system (on vacation or otherwise not there) the power company pays you for the power produced.:sqeyes:
When we build here soon, Solar will be on my list.
Not true. They will only credit you the money, and every month, if you don't use the credit, you loose it. I have been doing a ton of research on this subject in the recent months. Best deal is to get a few quotes from certified solar install companies. Then make sure that you only buy a system that produces just enough for you to use each month. You don't want to produce more, because you are only giving the power company free power. Make sure you are able to upgrade it in the future also. Battery technology is not reasonable yet imo unless you are away from power lines. Replacing batteries every 5-7 years will get expensive and the ROI will take forever. Check out Home Power magazine. They seem to have a lot of good info for the beginner. Also, see www.dsireusa.org for rebate info. I think I am going to wait for Nanosolar to start mass producing their product. Check them out if you want to look into the near future. PM me if you want a huge link list for info.

Kindsvater Flat
12-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Mines around 200 in the winter but then add propane on top of that, maybe another 500 for the whole winter months. Summertime is 300-400.

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I heard around 10-12 yeras to recoupe you money.What is out of hand, my bil is running around 300 right now and can reach 700 in the summer(****king rip off).2660 sq ft home with a pool in the 951.
The heck with the solar, start with the electric supplier. You guys are getting screwed! The price of coal has barely kept up with inflation. Where I live almost all of the plants are coal fired. I live in a 2,800 square foot house and don't even own a window screen as we either heat or a/c. We have never even seen a $100 monthly bill. The price per kilowatt has not changed in the eleven years I have lived here.
Don't overhaul your house, overhaul the management structure of your public utility company! Paying more than a hundred a month and not even a kiss to go along with what you just got?

YeLLowBoaT
12-11-2007, 05:22 AM
The heck with the solar, start with the electric supplier. You guys are getting screwed! The price of coal has barely kept up with inflation. Where I live almost all of the plants are coal fired. I live in a 2,800 square foot house and don't even own a window screen as we either heat or a/c. We have never even seen a $100 monthly bill. The price per kilowatt has not changed in the eleven years I have lived here.
Don't overhaul your house, overhaul the management structure of your public utility company! Paying more than a hundred a month and not even a kiss to go along with what you just got?
you must not live in CA...

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
you must not live in CA...
Not even on a dare!

YeLLowBoaT
12-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Its not uncommon in CA to see 20+ center per kwh. We don't have cheap power like alot of the rockey mountain states do... we have to have "green energy" beleave me it hurts. power costs where the main reason I got out of reef keeping as a hobby... nothing like have 2300 watts of power runing 247 and another 4000 watts runing 9 hours aday... makes the wheel on the side of the house spin like crazy.

SWOOP!
12-11-2007, 07:08 AM
I am a mechanical contractor and have been installing solar electric systems like crazy latley, give me a call and I can anwser any questions you might have. 661-510-9388, Travis

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Where do you live?? Either Western WA, ID, or MT I'm guessing.
The price of coal is a very small part of it... what the RR are charging to transport the coal is more than what the coal costs. That, and there is very little generation reserve in the western US... and what little reserve there is left, the transmission isn't there to get the electricity where it needs to be...
Most of the big Uitlities figured out several years ago the only way to get people to conserve is to hit them in the pocket book. Now the regulating authorities have figured that out as well. AZ is now requiring tiered rates, and time of use rates for all utilities coming in for a rate increase.

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Where do you live?? Either Western WA, ID, or MT I'm guessing.
The price of coal is a very small part of it... what the RR are charging to transport the coal is more than what the coal costs. That, and there is very little generation reserve in the western US... and what little reserve there is left, the transmission isn't there to get the electricity where it needs to be...
Most of the big Uitlities figured out several years ago the only way to get people to conserve is to hit them in the pocket book. Now the regulating authorities have figured that out as well. AZ is now requiring tiered rates, and time of use rates for all utilities coming in for a rate increase.
We have tiered rates, the more you use the cheaper it gets per kilowatt. Basically a volume discount. I think the Peoples Republic of California got it backwards and charges MORE for the higher volume.:rolleyes:

lalhc
12-11-2007, 07:32 AM
My electric bill runs about $85 per month in the winter and around $125 in the summer w/a 3200 sq ft home. Now my gas bill is another story.

Sleek-Jet
12-11-2007, 07:33 AM
We have tiered rates, the more you use the cheaper it gets per kilowatt. Basically a volume discount. I think the Peoples Republic of California got it backwards and charges MORE for the higher volume.:rolleyes:
Your utility must be get a good chunk of it's power from Hydro then, not coal...

boatnam2
12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
I know it is a scam, they put a baseline that even with a new energy efficient house you cant stay under so then that gig you big time when you go over.We have a pool but i run the pump the least amount possible without screwing up the pool, never run both airs and only one at night in the summer and its still 600 plus.Friggin water and trash bill is 200 i dont get it.

Arkansas
12-11-2007, 09:07 AM
My electric bill runs about $85 per month in the winter and around $125 in the summer w/a 3200 sq ft home. Now my gas bill is another story.
I'm suprised they are that much with that little trailer you have...:)

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Damn...that was easy...I just called So Cal Edison, and told them to upgrade there management and lower our electric bills, they said they were very appreciative of me for bringing it to their attention, and there gonna get right on it...I gonna expect a thank you from all the So Cal Edison customer on the board when your rates go down!!

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Your utility must be get a good chunk of it's power from Hydro then, not coal...
It's coal but the small suburb I live in bought 1% ownership in a new coal fired plant that was built in 1980-1982. Keeps lid on costs when you own a piece of the action.

brianthomas
12-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Damn...that was easy...I just called So Cal Edison, and told them to upgrade there management and lower our electric bills, they said they were very appreciative of me for bringing it to their attention, and there gonna get right on it...I gonna expect a thank you from all the So Cal Edison customer on the board when your rates go down!!
Is So Cal Edison publicly owned or stock holder owned? If stock how huge are their margins. All utility prices are regulated where I live so there are no big surprises when you open the bill. Only problem is they don't get their 2-3% inflation increases every year so it is a big shock when it stays steady for 10 years then they increase it 25% all at once.

Baja Big Dog
12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Is So Cal Edison publicly owned or stock holder owned? If stock how huge are their margins. All utility prices are regulated where I live so there are no big surprises when you open the bill. Only problem is they don't get their 2-3% inflation increases every year so it is a big shock when it stays steady for 10 years then they increase it 25% all at once.
Yes, Edison is controlled by the Public Utility Commission, and there rates are are determined by the PUC....

PAVEE
12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Its not uncommon in CA to see 20+ center per kwh. We don't have cheap power like alot of the rockey mountain states do... we have to have "green energy" beleave me it hurts. power costs where the main reason I got out of reef keeping as a hobby... nothing like have 2300 watts of power runing 247 and another 4000 watts runing 9 hours aday... makes the wheel on the side of the house spin like crazy.
damn is that why my bill is soo high now!!!